Subject: RE: tjtryon's Group - Closed
My name's Aviva! Nice to meet y'all! :D

2007-07-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: #821786

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
OK, so my race over the weekend once again showed my weak area - running. I ran faster than I have in a long time, but I have been slacking off on my running since I got hit by the car (biking) in May. I need to work on adding more running back into my routine.

I had an OK swim, averating about 2:00 per 100M, and a smoking fast (for me) bike at 22+ mph, but my run killed me at 9:15 miles. I had some excellent transitions, 1:15 and :44.

My rotator cuff is still healing from the crash, and is doing much better, though I am not going to force the swimming yet, so I jsut need to work on running. I think I am going to have a "mini" running camp for myself over the next week to see if I can bring some speed/endurance to my runs for my 7/21 race.

Anyone here done a "mini training camp" type of workout regimine to boost speed/endurance? I love to kick off spring with a week long camp, where I swim/bike/run/strength train for 7 days straight. I do train all winter, I just find that it helps give me a quick boost in my endurance. It's short - anyone can do 7 days - it's always easy when you know where the end of the tunnel is.

I had someone ask me how to get ready for a 5k race in a week's time. This person was a runner from high school/college, but only an occasional runner over the last few years. I dug up this great article, and it's been the basis of my mini training camp regimine since. You just adapt the sport, mileage and times to your fitness/endurance level, as well as your sport needs. Granted, you will never be able to prepare for a HIM, or an Oly in a week's time, but this plan will help you get a better level of endurance in a single sport in short time. At the very least, it gives a bit of motivation to get out and do the work...

http://www.coachtj.com/?page_id=43
2007-07-10 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
My next race is Sunday too!

It's my big A-race and I'm scared!!! Now the weather forecast says 42 degrees celsius with 33% humidity!

I'm just tapering this week and taking it REAL easy, getting lots of sleep, drinking lots of water etc!

How's everyone else doing?? And welcome to the new people

Derek
2007-07-10 11:19 AM
in reply to: #879097

User image

Master
DerekWL - 2007-07-10 12:13 PM

My next race is Sunday too!

It's my big A-race and I'm scared!!! Now the weather forecast says 42 degrees celsius with 33% humidity!

Derek

Derek-

I defiently wouldn't stress too much, your logs show you are doing the work, and as long as you stay well hydrated, you'll be fine in the 105+* range (for the rest of us - 42*c is 107*f). I hope you have a good hydration plan worked out. 33% humidity is a dry heat for us here in Indiana. We've had 95* and 95+% humidity lately, fortunatly we are in for a cool off the next week.
2007-07-10 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Hey TJ!

My hydration plan is great for the bike, I've gotten it all sorted out quite nicely. I'm just worried about getting off the bike and onto the run. My running hydration plan is not as comprehensive as my biking plan, as I dont have a fuel belt. The plan is that I will carry a bottle with me on the run as long as I can, as well as relying on aid stations, and drop the bottle when it becomes too much of a burden to run with.

I hope this works out for this race, I think it will.
I also plan to carry some salt tablets since I tend to get a cramp in the exact same spot in my right side in the warm weather!

2007-07-10 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Great job on the race TJ!

That bike speed is sweet!! I would be super happy about a speed around there. Good luck on the running training. I havent gotten a chance to look at that article, but I will after I finish typing this.

When's your next race?

2007-07-10 1:42 PM
in reply to: #879414

User image

Master
DerekWL - 2007-07-10 1:57 PM

Great job on the race TJ!

That bike speed is sweet!! I would be super happy about a speed around there. Good luck on the running training. I havent gotten a chance to look at that article, but I will after I finish typing this.

When's your next race?

Next race is a sprint 7/21. Then another sprint every other weekend until Disney in September. Disney is my A race this year - providing everything goes as planned.
2007-07-10 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Sounds good!

Alright, I have to head out to class, then go for a swim, then work, then hit the bike for an hour or so this evening!! Have a good afternoon TJ!

Thanks for the feedback by the way!
2007-07-12 8:26 AM
in reply to: #878554

Yes, I am a Notre Dame Fan (Go Irish!!!). But I'm also a Hoosier B-Ball fan. Training has been going okay. Did a brick on Sunday (12.5 mi Bike in 46 min and 2 mi Run in 15:45). Took Tuesday off as I was travelling and spent most of yesterday on an airplane or in a car coming back from Florida. I went out for a run yesterday afternoon, but apparently because of not enough fluids and all that sitting down, my right calf tightened up halfway through. Had to walk 2 miles back. Word of advice for everyone -- Drink lots of water and milk.
2007-07-12 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
I hate it when that happens!!!!!

I have my big race on Sunday, getting a little nervous, but I took it nice and easy this week, so I should be all ready to go. It's too bad I've had all this work as well as school! Too freakin busy!!!

I'm super excited for the race though!

When are your next races everyone?

2007-07-12 2:45 PM

New user

I have a race on Sunday. This will be my first lake swim, so I will know if I like that better than the Gulf, or the Gulf better. I hear each has its pros and cons. The distance is Sprint distance, .25 mile swim/15 mile bike/5K run. It is in Sebring, FL. It should be a blast!

For the other Hoosiers, I am also a native Hoosier that has migrated to the south. I still cheer for IU, but am a HUGE Colts fan! I still have Super Bowl Champion stickers all over my truck, and am rubbing it in to all the Bucs fans around here.

2007-07-15 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Hey Jk and everyone else!

How did your race go today? I had my big race as well, in a super-warm place called Penticton up here in British Columbia, Canada. It was pretty warm, averaging about 28 degrees celsius from about 7 a.m. until 8 then the sun came and it warmed up to about 34 degrees celsius.

It was a GREAT race for me, but I wont spoil the results until the official results are posted!

I'll let you all know!
Derek
2007-07-16 9:44 AM

New user

Heartland of America Triathlon, Sebring FL
  • 25 mile swim/15 mile bike/3.1 mile run

• Swim: 9:48
    T1: 4:59
    Bike: 48:44
    T2: 2:09
    Run: 38:03
    Total Time: 1:43:41.35

First let me say that the Heartland Triathlon in Sebring Florida is an awesome event in most every category; organization, crowd support, finish line, after race food, and extensive goodie bag including a technical shirt, running hat, and a towel. And the cost of $50 is unheard of anymore for a race of this caliper.

The swim is a .25 mile swim in Lake Jackson. It was an interesting swim because about 15 yards out there is a sudden drop off and the water is over your head. So you start swimming and all of the sudden about 30 yards is a sandbar and the water is about up to your knees. So for about another 20 yards you walk through the water until the water is deep enough to start swimming again. That was almost to the first buoy. This was my first lake swim. I can now compare a lake swim to a Gulf swim and feel each has their pros and cons. Some advantages of a lake swim: there are no real waves or currents to worry about; you do not get a mouthful of salt water; you can breathe to one side only if you train that way (like I do, unfortunately); you don’t have to worry about sharks (only alligators and snakes). Disadvantages: so much less buoyant than salt water so you feel like you are working that much harder to stay up in the water; the lakes here in Florida are so murky that you can’t see your hand in front of you, so you have a hard time gauging how much progress you are making; the smell of diesel fuel which permeates most every lake here; can’t take it easy and do mostly body surfing on the way in. I think I like both about equally as well but may prefer the buoyancy of the Gulf just a little more.

The transition from the swim to the bike was first a god-awful long run up a hill through loose packed sand and then asphalt. I will swear that this was a .25 mile stretch, but I may have just thought it was longer coming out of the swim, but it was a long way!! I was again slow in transition and that needs to stop. I did realize when I started putting my bike stuff on that I had forgot my sun glasses in my transition bag, which was now in my car. It looks like I may have to spend several sessions just practicing transitions.

The bike course was a loop around Lake Jackson and then some streets of Sebring. This was mostly flat, but there were a few short hills that I feel were a bit of a challenge. Biking is my strongest suit so I must have passed at least 60 people. It seemed like I was always in the passing lane. One couple was riding two abreast (sightseeing, joy riding; I am not sure what they were doing). I yelled “on your left” and they refused to go to single file. I moved toward the center lane of the road to pass and at that time a car was barreling along from the other direction. I could either hit the car head on or I could brake, so I chose to brake. After the car passed I went around this couple and told them in the process they need to move over or go single file when someone is passing. That set me up for my next mile being my fastest at just a shade under 24mph.

At the 12 mile mark, I planned ahead of time to do something different and take an energy gel this time. I washed it down with Propel that I had in one of my bottles on the bike. I came into transition with an average ride of 18.5 (I need to work on getting this at least 2 mph faster).

Again, I was slow in transition. Actually, in my age group I ranked dead last. At least it is something to work on. I grabbed my running hat, water bottle, and slipped on my running shoes (sunglasses would have been nice), and headed out for the run.

I think the gel helped a lot. I ran the first mile without walking, walked a bit (about two minutes), and started running again. For about a third of a mile, we ran through grass, which was a little odd with tired legs making that transition. I ran most of the way, took a couple of little walk breaks, and finished with a strong run about the last .10/mile. I actually passed people on this run which seems to be a rare occurrence. I am usually the one everyone else is passing on the run. All-in-all, I felt like I had a pretty good run for me, but know I can get better.

As I said, this was a great triathlon and I had a blast. Now that I have 2 down, I feel like it is now time to work on improving. I don’t think I can ever be a competitive AG participant, but I feel I can improve on certain areas and get my times so that I am at least in the middle-upper middle of the pack consistently.
    2007-07-16 12:24 PM
    in reply to: #887326

Good job Jerry. Your words are an encouragement to me. Keep up the good work.
    2007-07-17 12:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Victoria
    Wow well done Jerry.

Congrats on the bike there, that sounds awesome!! I wish I could have that much cycling prowess, because mine is definitely lacking!

I'm also glad to hear about the run, that's sweet that you were passing people, especially when you "supposedly" get passed all the time

And with time, I'm sure you can move up in to the upper echelons of your AG!
    Great job!

I also had my race yesterday on Sunday, and it went SUPER well as well!
    The race report is up, so I hope you enjoy it!!
    Derek!
    2007-07-17 4:05 PM

Well, I'm committed now. Wish me luck. I decided to move up my 1st Triathlon to this Saturday and the check's in the mail. Ahhhhhh!!!! It's a 1/4 mi. Swim, 10 mile Bike, and 3 1/2 mi. Run. It's a local benefit race and it'll be fairly low-key, less than 100 people total, so I'm using it as a kind of "practice" race to get my feet wet (okay, I know I'll have to get more than just my feet wet). Also wanted to get rid of my "first race jitters" and be able to officially say I'm a "Triathlete". Here are my goals:

1. Finish
    2. Finish with a smile on my face
    3. Finish in 1:25 or less

Wish me luck. Actually, maybe you shouldn't wish me luck since in the Theater that's actually bad luck. Of course I don't want you to say "Break a leg" cause that's much more likely to happen in a Triathlon than on stage. So I'll just welcome whatever official Triathlon greeting you care to give.

2007-07-17 4:35 PM
    in reply to: #889939

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Victoria
    In that case,
    Break a leg
    But dont get a stress fracture or shin splints, those are nasty

Joking aside, those goals look great!! I like the order in which you presented them, with number 2 being RIDICULOUSLY important to your morale and how you prepare for your next race!
    You will have an awesome time!!! Take in the experience and revel in the fact you are putting all that time and hard work into this race!

It looks like a great race to start with!
    I look forward to hearing about it!
    Bonne chance!!!! (Good luck in French, maybe that wont jinx you!)
    Derek
    2007-07-18 6:54 AM
    in reply to: #889939

User image

Master
    dwort - 2007-07-17 5:05 PM

Here are my goals:

0. Have Fun
    1. Finish
    2. Finish with a smile on my face
    3. Finish in 1:25 or less

You forgot goal 0, which I think is the most important goal. I don't say good luck, I say kick some a$$. You'll do great!
    2007-07-18 9:19 AM
    in reply to: #890680

You're absolutely right! Having fun is the most important thing. We have to all remember that for the majority of us this is a hobby. Something to enjoy and help us relax/unwind from all the other stresses in our lives. I'm having fun. I'm enjoying it. I've lost weight and I feel better about myself. Now I'm looking forward to hearing my 8 year old and 4 year old yelling "Go daddy Go!" "Go daddy Go!" Nothing can top that!
    2007-07-18 10:25 AM
    in reply to: #890914

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Victoria
    Awww, that would be super awesome.
    My girlfriend cheers for me, and just hearing "GO DEREK" helps SO MUCH!!
    I hope you aren't too nervous, I'm sure you'll do great!
    2007-07-18 11:29 AM

New user

Here's hoping that you do much better than Brady Quinn in the NFL draft! ;-)

If you have the same experiences as me, you can't help but have fun. Just be forewarned, you may get hooked! (And that has nothing to do with wayward fishermen during the swim).

2007-07-18 11:55 AM
    in reply to: #891221

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Victoria
    Hahah Loved the Hook comment
    I didn't get the Brady Quinn comment because basically I dont watch football!

Sorry to veer off topic a little bit, but I Have a question for TJ,
    My bike was really lacking on my last tri, even though I was 4 minutes faster on a much harder course, I was getting passed like there was no tomorrow (well I guess I came out of the water 5th, so it's understandable).
    I was just wondering if you could suggest a training plan for the bike?
    I can't actually bike until next week as I have a little lower back pain from the Tri, so I'm getting my bike fitted on Friday.

If anyone has any ideas let me know!
    Derek
    2007-07-18 2:14 PM
    in reply to: #891275

User image

Master
    DerekWL - 2007-07-18 12:55 PM

Sorry to veer off topic a little bit, but I Have a question for TJ,
    My bike was really lacking on my last tri, even though I was 4 minutes faster on a much harder course, I was getting passed like there was no tomorrow (well I guess I came out of the water 5th, so it's understandable).
    I was just wondering if you could suggest a training plan for the bike?

Derek-

I guess the first question is how much are you currently riding? If your logs are up to date, I think your best bet is to ride more. (time in the saddle). There is no substitute for it. Really. Ride lots has been defined on BT as 100 miles per week. I think that is a bit high, but 50 miles a week or so is not bad. All you have to do is get out and do a constant 50-60 miles a week however you can. Really.

Monday- Rest
    Tuesday- 10-15 miles
    Wednesday-
    Thursday- 10-15 miles
    Friday-
    Saturday
    Sunday- 20-30 miles

Don't worry about hills, intervals or anything but getting the mileage in.
    2007-07-18 2:30 PM
    in reply to: #891565

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Victoria
    Yea I would definitely agree I do need more time in the saddle.
    I'm trying to find a cycling club as I am starting to run out of routes around Vancouver, which is pretty crazy!
    The thing is, I really enjoy cycling, I guess I Just have this pre-conceived notion that I can't JUST do an hour ride or something, but that everytime I go riding I should be doing 1.5-2.5 hours or something around there.
    I think I found a club that has rides Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays that I can join up with. They seem like they cater to beginners on some of their rides, with a workout of either 40-45 km (Monday), 50-80 km (Friday morning), and 80-100km both on Saturday and Sunday and all of these rides are at about a 24-28km/hour pace.
    Do you think that would be a good start?

Thanks for the feedback Tj!
    2007-07-18 7:16 PM
    in reply to: #891594

User image

Master
    DerekWL - 2007-07-18 3:30 PM

I guess I Just have this pre-conceived notion that I can't JUST do an hour ride or something, but that everytime I go riding I should be doing 1.5-2.5 hours or something around there.

I think I found a club that has rides Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays that I can join up with. They seem like they cater to beginners on some of their rides, with a workout of either 40-45 km (Monday), 50-80 km (Friday morning), and 80-100km both on Saturday and Sunday and all of these rides are at about a 24-28km/hour pace.
    Do you think that would be a good start?

Thanks for the feedback Tj!

The club sounds like a great place to start, work on your bike handling skills.

As far as your "idea" that you can't just ride an hour, a few weeks ago (7/3) I only had about 20 or so minutes, so I rode one of my 5k run courses (in like 9 minutes). Any time is better than no time.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tjtryon's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 5