General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to triathalon's Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-16 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Connecticut
Subject: New to triathalon's
Hello all,

My name is Ian, I am 24 years old, and I am new to this site, as well as a newcomer to triathalons. But I am not a newcomer in athletics, I was a competetive swimmer from highschool thru college (freshman year), and then I was a member of my college's Crew team (rowing) for my remaining college years. I have been rowing ever since college, mostly in singles and doubles, competing in many sculling events such as the Head of the Charles and the Royal Canadian Henley.

I was first introduced to a Triathalon during the Sydney Olympics, when I saw it on television. I thought it looked quite challanging, but fun. I never thought I would give it a try untill now. WHen I was still swimming I used to compete in the 400 IM and 200 Breast. I have challanged myself, and I have tried to run several 5 and 10 K's here and there. But I have never competed in a bycicle race, though I do like to go Mountain Biking for fun every now and then, but that is mostly for recreation.

So far I would consider the run to be my weakest dicipline, mainly because I am 6' 4" 215 lbs, and I am not exactly light on my feet no matter how much I try.

My goal for the next year is to compete in a triathalon. Right now I am finishing up my fall rowing season, when exactly shoud I start training for a sprint level triathalon? Also as for equipment, currentley I just have a mountain bike, but I am looking to get a cheap road bike and modify it for a triathalon. I kind of went into shock when I saw what a triathalon bike went for.

But anyway, this looks like a cool site. I am excitied to compete in my first triathalon even though that is not till next year.

2004-09-16 12:12 PM
in reply to: #62501

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: New to triathalon's

welcome ian...whats rowing training like?  daily? every other day?

i would say u could start biking which wont interfere with your rowing...unless u have time constraints...not sure if you run a lot, u could start biking and/or running now - a couple time a week...and then pick up swimming a little during rowing or wait till the seasons done.

its never too early to start training...i would ease into things regardless till your season is over...then u can start getting more disciplined in all 3 sports...just start putting miles on your bike and do some light runs now then start swimming again when u feel comfy to add another sports.

just some suggestions...good luck.

2004-09-17 12:27 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!  Great to have you here!
2004-09-18 12:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
welcome to the site and good luck with your training! you have come to a great community!!
2004-09-18 5:24 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Welcome. You're right, this is a cool site - and a cool community. There's a fair number for people on the board that came from a background in cycling, so there's plenty of info for any questions that you might have. I'm a big guy too and I have to get the special running shoes with wings in order to get a lighter landing

Good luck with your training. Looks like you at least have an athletic background, plus being a swimmer, you'll be in a good place to start. It seems that lots of people have problems with that sport the most. Plus, with your height, you take what, 4 strokes/25m?

-Frank
2004-09-18 2:00 PM

Online or Offline
We can tell you're a jock because you can't spell! All other misspelled words are forgivable, but one must not misspell triathlon or call it a triathAlon!

I am kidding of course, and wish you well on your start of training for 2005 and glad to see you here!

2004-09-20 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Way to go TypeA Girl Pilot. Make the new guy feel goofy right off the bat. I think we were assuming that he would find his way here on his own:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

-Frank
2004-09-20 4:40 PM

Online or Offline
OH not that again!
2004-09-22 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Connecticut
Tis ok,

The reason why I cant spell is because I am an Aerospace Engineer, not because I am a jock.

Edited by Rower 2004-09-22 3:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to triathalon's Rss Feed