General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-08-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: #929267

Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
Trust me, that's the most important part!! See you Sunday!

2007-08-17 4:06 PM
in reply to: #828772

User image

Expert
MD
Good luck everybody! I was at Centennial Park yesterday and saw them setting up the transition area - made me wish I was racing this weekend!

Weather should be PERFECT for a race! Kick some butt!

I'd be there to watch, but my daughter has a soccer tournament up in Carroll County.
2007-08-17 4:59 PM

User image

New user

Baltimore, MD
A big GOOD LUCK to all of you girls! You're all going to be so great. You've worked really hard for this, and the payoff is going to feel wonderful.

Turns out I won't be able to race--doc's orders. I have a nasty upper-respiratory infection, which just doesn't really mix with an event where breathing is so important (read: gasping for air in the OWS ).

This is a pretty huge blow for me, but I've had a few days now to accept it. I'll just be the very first person to sign up for next year's race!

I will be there with you all in spirit, and I think I'll even come to watch and cheer you on!

Have a ball, you guys--you're officially triathletes!

Edited by jennylee77 2007-08-17 5:03 PM
2007-08-17 5:56 PM

Jenny - I'm so sorry to hear you won't make it. I hope you feel better soon. Best!
2007-08-17 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran

We are back from the beach - not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to go on vacation the week before this race.  I don't remember, maybe the arrangements for the beach were made before I decided to do this race. 

Jenny - I am sooooooo sorry to hear the doc says you can't participate.  Hang in there, get better, and you will be racing again soon!!!!  My kids got strep just before we went to the beach - both of them were really sick.  I've ended up with a sore throat and not feeling 100%, but I'm no where near as sick as they were.  Maybe it's a good thing I was out of town last week and couldn't get to my doc - this way he couldn't tell me I can't race!!! 

Hillslug - I love the design on your t-shirt!!!!  Although you will have to come up with one that has a bit more of a positive twist to it.  I'll bet you make it through Sun. w/out sinking or crawling!!!!

Meeting up at 6 on Sun. morning sounds like a great idea.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!!! 

I suppose one plus to being out of town is that I haven't had time to get nervous yet.  I'm sure it will set in soon.  My son (he's 8) is doing his 1st tri tomorrow morning, so we are heading over to DE for that 1st thing.  I'll be heading to registration and racking my bike in the afternoon - I'll have plenty of time in the car by myself to work up are really good case of nervesWink 

2007-08-17 7:26 PM
in reply to: #930171

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
crabsrule - 2007-08-17 8:01 PM

Hillslug - I love the design on your t-shirt!!!! Although you will have to come up with one that has a bit more of a positive twist to it. I'll bet you make it through Sun. w/out sinking or crawling!!!!

I took things a little too seriously for my first tri. I've got to be able to laugh at myself.

Jenny, I'm so sorry you won't be able to race. It's got to be a huge disappointment.

See everyone at 6 on Sunday. If you see me in my t-shirt tomorrow at the hotel, please say hi! 

2007-08-17 9:12 PM

Shoot...I missed the 6 am meeting post, I guess. Where's the place???
2007-08-18 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Its at 6 amin the  transition area where the swm exit is.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.
2007-08-18 7:39 AM

Hey Everybody! Can't wait until tomorrow! Rest up, drink up & think happy thoughts! Tomorrow will be *FUN*!!! OOO
2007-08-18 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Good luck to everybody tomorrow. Looks like the best weather in years for race day. Have fun.
2007-08-18 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran

Hope to see you all tomorrow....I'm bib number 1319.....Athena wave.   

Good Luck....Have a great race!

2007-08-18 4:11 PM

Get some carbs, and then a good night's sleep, ladies! See you all tomorrow - PERFECT weather for us!!! Best! OOO

2007-08-19 2:22 PM
in reply to: #930602

Woo hoo!! What a great race!! My first tri and I am soooo happy with my finish (actually sooo happy I even finished :-))!! I completely lost track of time and never made it to the meeting spot this morning... I hope everyone had a great race!

Take care!
Carolyn
2007-08-19 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

My sentiments exactly, Carolyn!  I had a great swim, ok bike, ok run/walk.  I was happy to do 3 mins. less overall than what I predicted I would do...and to finish upright!  My husband and daughter's support meant so much!  Even my teenage son called to check up on me - I was surprised! 

I only saw MDHillSlug (Nicole) and crabsrule (Brenda) at 6am, but we knew everyone was still rushing into the park and getting set up, so no sweat.  I hope everyone had a great race!  Laurie

P.S. -- Jennylee77 & MelissaE, How frustrating it must be to work so hard only to be told you couldn't race today.  Jenny, I hope you get over that infection soon.  Melissa, best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.   

2007-08-19 3:46 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

That may have been the hardest thing I've ever done! I finished and I hit all my goals, so I guess I did well. I wish I could have done less walking on the run, but that'll have to be a goal for next time.

It was great to meet Brenda (crabsrule) and Laurie (klgray). Sorry I missed meeting everyone else.

2007-08-19 4:09 PM

New user

Me too, me too!! Felt bad I didn't make it to the meeting spot, but looks like I wasn't the only one! I cannot believe I swam freestyle the entire swim!! I finished a little under my goal. What an AMAZING event! I don't want to take my wrist band off! My husband has been treating me like a rock star all day! Congrats ladies!

2007-08-19 4:22 PM
in reply to: #931065

Bask in that glory ladies!! I keep being told it's "my day"!! I'm loving it!! And I feel like we all deserve it so much!!!!! A couple of great highlights... I finished well before my predicted time and even earlier than my "goal" time!! Yeah!!! And the best highlight... my typically "not so athletic, girly girl" daughter wants to do a kids' tri next spring!!!! She is definitely my IronGirl!! I can tell you that absolutely made my day!
2007-08-19 4:31 PM

New user

That is fantastic Carolyn! I can tell through your email you are still feeling that high . . . as am I! I cannot believe a am a triathlete!!
2007-08-19 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Sorry I missed everyone this morning. Klynne and I lost track of time and was just chilling under the bike exit, then realized that it was 6:15. You all did a great job and finishing is always the best goal for a first race. I originally hope for just over two hours, but after driving the course last night, I knew that I wasn't going to make it.  Then was hoping for under 2:30.  Well I'm extremely happy with beating that at 2:12:36!! Swim was much longer that I thought it would feel like. Bike was hard but very FUN, run well for me its just a struggle. Only had to walk for a few short times. This was a fantastic race and hope to see everyone again next year!!!!
2007-08-19 5:31 PM

Nice job, ladies. I, too, missed the meet-up as I was stuck in the long line of traffic to get into the park. We had PERFECT weather for the race, though. I hope all of you had an awesome time and met some personal goals! OOO Best!
2007-08-19 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran

Well  - we did it!!!! WOOOHOOO.   I not unhappy with my time, but it was a bit longer than I had hoped for.  I had a tough swim - it was total contact sport most of the way,  I just couldn't get any clear water.  It took me much longer than I had hoped.  Oh well, it was still a great day and I finished standing - and that's what counts.

It was great to get to meet up with Nicole and Laurie.  I got to spend some time with Nathalie (noony), Susuan (sk2a2005) and KLynne.

Getting to meet up w/ so many great people is one of the things that makes this sport so awesome!!!  I hope everyone had a wonderful rest of the season!!!  Brenda

2007-08-19 9:24 PM

User image

New user

Baltimore, MD
YAY!!! A big congratulations to all of you! This is such an accomplishment. Not only did you do a triathlon, you did a very challenging, great-big, all-women race. I'm so happy for all of you. I would love to hear all about the race, and I'm looking forward to reading your race reports.

I know you all just passed a huge milestone, so this question may be poorly timed, but are any of you doing another race this season? I think our choices are pretty limited, at least in this vicinity. Just wondering.

GREAT JOB, all of you!
2007-08-20 8:09 AM

My next race is the Nation's Triathlon in DC on September 29. My husband is doing Northeast on Sunday in Northeast, MD. Both of those are Olympic-length.

We've opted out of the Montgomery (County) YMCA Super-Sprint Triathlon which is I believe the 16th of September. My husband also has General Smallwood triathlon (Indianhead, Maryland) on September 23rd which is a sprint tri and Osprey on October 6 (Osprey, MD) which is another sprint. (I had the heavy first half of the season and this half is more for him.) Our other races are not triathlons - a cycle race for me and a "run" for the whole family.

There's tons in this area if you're looking...AND still time. Good luck!
2007-08-20 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
I am doing the Lady Patriot on Sept 9th, then maybe do another sprint in Oct called the Giant Acorn. You could come down here to Williamsburg and do the Lady PAtriot!!
2007-08-20 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
This is the last tri I have scheduled. Now, I'll shift my focus to biking. I'd planned to do the Civil War Century 50 miler but I need to rest my knee for a bit and don't think I'll be ready. I'm registered for the Seagull Century (metric) in October. I may try to do a few 5k's.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 5