General Discussion Triathlon Talk » oly to HIM volume Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-04 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: oly to HIM volume

Hey folks,

Curious if I could pick your brain regarding the necessary volume to comfortably complete a HIM.  I'm currently doing a modified BT 16 week Olympic bike focused plan (16 weeks end July 7), and have been using the "bike lots" and "run lots" mentality to actually get my volume much higher than the plan actually calls for.  With relative comfort, I can currently complete the HIM distance for each of the 3 disciplines (though not back to back to back).

Looking at the beginner HIM plan, I will surpass the peak HIM volume during my Oly training (I'm 15 mins shy of the long bike ride currently, and have already surpassed the long run/swim).

There are 10 weeks between the Olympic (actually, International) I'm doing and the HIM I'm interested in doing... which means with one week recovery from race 1 and one week of taper for race 2, I have two solid months to build an even greater base (theoretically, one that exceeds the HIM training plan). 

I guess the point of this post is that I'm looking for confirmation that if I can comfortably do all 3 disciplines for significantly greater distances than the race itself, I'll be fine.  I was actually pretty surprised by how low the volume for the HIM plan is (compared to my expectations).  Am I missing something?

By the way - why am I rushing into it (e.g. talking about HIM before completing the first race)?  Because it's there, first of all.  But also because I would really like to do another HIM and then an IM in 2008, and I think the experience will be a big help.  Family plans may not be too far away, and I wonder if I [personally] will be able to commit this kind of training time for the next two decades if I don't do it now.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-06-04 3:37 PM

2007-06-04 3:54 PM
in reply to: #829244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Subject: RE: oly to HIM volume
I really hope someone replies to this that knows what they are talking about. I just started training for Tri's in Feb of this year and am already setting long term goals for HIM in '08 and IM in '09. When I did my first sprint I was training up to Oly volume, now my volume is nearly comparable to HIM training and my longest multisport event is an Oly Tri this year. I am, however going to compete in a 1/2 mary or two.
2007-06-05 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Well vegan - I'm 99% sure I'm doing it, so I'll let you know how it works out.  Had my first bit of nagging shin pain this morning, but I'm just starting a recovery week so I will rest and ice it and watch my long run carefully next week... maybe spend a bit more time in the saddle than pounding the pavement.

I may have lost some speed, as I have really not done much speedwork... but I feel very comfortable about endurance going into the international distance having trained closer to the "beginner IM" volume of training.  I have virtually no pre-race anxiety. 

And frankly, since I'm not at the top of my game (i.e. far from a "fine tuning" point... still have a bunch of weight to lose, etc)... I have a feeling I may actually be surprised by how much speed is there just from the long workouts developing cardiovascular (and muslce, joint, etc) endurance.

Until I'm in really fantastic shape (I only need time), I've fully adopted the "want to be faster... ride lots, run lots" mentality.

2007-06-05 8:36 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Sounds like you're probably capable of doing the HIM.  Take a look at the last 10 weeks of the HIM plan.  If you're comfortable strating that (esp. the weekly bike & run volume), then you should be OK.  Make sure you're being sensible about adding volume gradually, especially on the run.  It's easy to feel good right up until the point you develop an overuse injury--been there.

P.S.  If you are thinking of Savageman for your first HIM--you're nuts! 

2007-06-05 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana

With regard to

" Family plans may not be too far away, and I wonder if I [personally] will be able to commit this kind of training time for the next two decades if I don't do it now."

I've got two (ages 4 and 6) and a 60hr/week job.  While not a slam dunk, its manageable.  I've got two half-marathons, two olympic tris, a HIM and full marathon planned for 2007. Remember, you've got to take care of yourself, so you can properly take care of your family.  You will miss training days though, just be prepared to "deal with it."  Oh, and a 7 hour night of sleep will feel like A LOT.

2007-06-05 12:27 PM
in reply to: #830115

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
JohnnyKay - 2007-06-05 9:36 AM

Sounds like you're probably capable of doing the HIM.  Take a look at the last 10 weeks of the HIM plan.  If you're comfortable strating that (esp. the weekly bike & run volume), then you should be OK.  Make sure you're being sensible about adding volume gradually, especially on the run.  It's easy to feel good right up until the point you develop an overuse injury--been there.

P.S.  If you are thinking of Savageman for your first HIM--you're nuts! 

Thanks for the "you're nuts" compliment. 

I ran God's Country Marathon (Northern PA) a few years ago as my first marathon which also heads over the eastern continental divide... and paid dearly.  I'll just say that at least I'm not naïve and nuts.

I hear you on the overuse run injuries... I will be very careful as I come from a running background where I was always training on the edge of injury, and have appreciated tri training most for the ability to work harder but with less damage to my legs between the 3 disciplines.

2007-06-05 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
I think you'll be fine. I have my first OLY this weekend and a HIM scheduled for the end of Sept. My coach tells me that the only real difference I will notice in my training is the distances for the long run and bikes. Currently my long in each of these is about 10 miles for the run and 45 miles for the bike. Weekly volume is in the 9-12 hour range.
2007-06-06 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
What is your monthly run milage look like? Your logs only indicate that time and no milage.

I am just a firm believer that if you don't have the base milage in your legs for a HIM you may have a tough time with the race. If your running close to 20 miles a week now on a consistent basis and you are planning on a HIM you should consider bringing your milage up slowly to the 25-30 range and holidng it there. I found that this is pretty much the right number for me. But everyone is different. Quality vs quantity. Junk milage per se does nothing for me and my body.

Bridging between OLY and HIM if you are putting the time in should not be a problem at all. Bike milage now that it's warm should be a no brainer. You can pile it on on the weekend. But focus on the run milage first. Don't skip these workouts and make sure you give yourself enough rest between runs. Every run should have a purpose.
2007-06-07 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
My current plan only has 2 runs per week, and my legs have felt less injury prone than they have in a long time.  I'm in recovery week now, but week before that I ran ~12 miles in 2 hours, as well as a 5 mile tempo run (10k race pace... just under 8:00 miles) and an unscheduled 5 mile LSD recovery run on my rest day with Dad when he was in town.
2007-06-07 9:12 AM
in reply to: #833769

User image

Expert
Like I said, I would consider running every other day with one longer run mixed in. You can take a look at my logs to get an example. I don't run every day. I just don't need to. If I do I get too broken down and start running with bad form.

Start to bring your running up to 20-25 miles per week. See how your body holds up. If you feel ok gradually start to bring the mileage up above the 25 range. If you can put in a few 100+ mile months with your biking and swimming not suffering I would say go for the HIM. That would put you in a great spot. You would be able to enjoy the race and not "survive" the race.

Now if you just want to survive it...then forget everything that I a telling you.....

Good luck...let us know how you do...
2007-06-07 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Thank you for the advice -

I definitely want to enjoy the race and not just survive it... same thing for the OLY distance, which is why I have upped my volume considerably from what my plan called for.

The HIM I am considering (Savageman) has a brutal bike course, so I will also be focusing attention there - seat time, and hill climbing.  But I will take your running advice.  I suspect as I countinue to drop weight my body will respond better to running volume than it has in the past.

I'll keep you all posted... and again, thanks for the advice.

2007-06-07 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Once the weight starts coming off...and believe me it will...you will be lighter on your feet. I know I was. I am about 185-190 right now. A perfect race weight for me. I could drop another 5 lbs but that may be a loss of power on the bike. I am not willing to give that up.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » oly to HIM volume Rss Feed