General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoes causing an IB Band problem? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-06 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Shoes causing an IB Band problem?
Hey everyone!

This may seem like a rather ridiculous question, but recently I've been having problems with my IB band. Now, this is probably fairly common to runners, but I have very little running experience.

I had to replace my old trusty pair of runners due to how EXTREMELY beaten up my old ones were. I went to the same store where I bought my old pair, and bought a pair of Aasics that felt REALLY nice at the time.

Now the first thing I noticed was there was less heal support then my old Adidas runners, and at first I thought it might be a good thing (weigh less, less bouncy feeling during running). I tend to roll my foot to the outside when I run.

Now, background aside, the first run I did with my new shoes (a 10km trail run with my doggy) felt awesome and nothing felt wrong. But as I've been running over the past few weeks since then, I've noticed this nagging pain down the outside of my left leg.

I went and got a massage from a physio/massage therapist and her diagnoses was just tension on the IB band.

I've been doing the exercises she gave me, and I've been trying to run. I haven't been able to run farther then about 4km. Before I changed shoes, I could run 10km+ without any pain (except from heavy breathing).

Now, the only other factor is that I have been increasing my cycle training substantially.

I really appreicate any advice anyone has (or past experiences

Thanks a ton!
Derek
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoes causing an IB Band problem? Rss Feed