General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike frame size question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-07 9:14 PM

Subject: bike frame size question
i am short (5' 2") but i like bikes with a bigger frame. is there any downside to riding a bigger frame besides a little more weight? i would think comfort would come first, but i am just wondering. thanks!

2007-06-08 12:47 AM
in reply to: #835120

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: bike frame size question
Fit should be your number one concern. If it's a larger frame and fits, than that's fine. If you just get a larger frame just because you like a larger frame, you might have neck and back pains because the top tube is too long, or you might not have any stand over height, which then you might get injured when you dismount.

Are you saying, there's two bike sizes, and both fit and you don't know which one to chose?
2007-06-08 11:54 AM

no, i'm still kind of perusing a bunch of choices, and i've tried a few specific women's fits and extra small bikes recommended for my height, but i don't feel comfortable on them.

so are you saying that the back/neck pain would set in after i would ride for awhile?
2007-06-08 12:00 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
As long as the LBS says it fits, then go with it. I wouldn't go off of just "feel." You aren't going to know what the "problems" are until you ride for many miles. I'm not saying you will. I'm just saying, that if the fit is wrong, you might develop some problems which you wouldn't have noticed on your test rides.

An example is, several years ago, I changed the setup on my MTB by moving the seat back a little more. This increased the reach between me and the front bars. I rode about 5 miles around the house and everything seemed ok. The next Saturday, I rode 60 miles with my buddies and my lower back was killing me because of the small change in reach. This MTB example is similar to you trying a larger bike with longer reach. In the parking lot, you aren't going to notice anything. But when you get back home and ride a longer ride, your back, neck, etc might start to hurt because of the longer top tube.

If you ask anyone, they will say fit is the most important aspect of buying a new bike. If the bike is light, if the bike is aero, or the bike is whatever, but you are uncomfortable on it, it's not going to matter.

Again, if the LBS says it's going to work, I'd go with what they say.

Edited by auto208562 2007-06-08 12:02 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike frame size question Rss Feed