Other Resources My Cup of Joe » men with tattoos... on the small of their back.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-06-12 11:24 AM
in reply to: #840598

User image

Subject: RE: men with tattoos... on the small of their back....

A speedo yes...but what if you were wearing a pair of 501 jeans that really showed off your package well...would you care if people commented on that...stared at you crotch...I mean, you wore the pants because they were comfortable?

That happens to me like every other day

2007-06-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: #840808

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
ChrisM - 2007-06-12 9:24 AM

A speedo yes...but what if you were wearing a pair of 501 jeans that really showed off your package well...would you care if people commented on that...stared at you crotch...I mean, you wore the pants because they were comfortable?

That happens to me like every other day

What's your phone # again? 

2007-06-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: #840533

User image

Buttercup
Marvarnett - 2007-06-12 10:47 AM

I know I'm going to get fried for this...

Yes, that is akin to that.  If you wear a low cut shirt and you get offended by someone saying something about them, then that's your issue.  You chose to put them out there on display.  Just like if I wear a speedo in a mall, I should not get offended by people making comments about my hairy knees....that's the only comments I should get...right....

A woman wearing a low cut shirt is comparable to a man wearing a revealing swimsuit in a public place not designed for swimming? Wow that's the StretchArmstrong of logical fallacies. I would bet that mall security might not agree with that opinion.

No, we aren't asking for it. Any victim of verbal hostiliity is not to blame for the stupidity of the offender. It's not that we are overly sensitive to stupid people; it's just that we generally expect people to restrain their verbal farting. The fact that the verbal fart offends our sensibilities is not a poor reflection of our sensiibilities. It's a reflection of the poor impulse control of the stupid person.

Edited by Renee 2007-06-12 1:34 PM
2007-06-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #837156

User image

Let's place a very large, well defined and easy-not-to-cross line between thoughts and actions, shall we?  It's a leap of logic to go from someone "thinking" something to someone "doing" something

somehow, this CoJ thread has gotten horribly off track

and runningwoof, if I ever decide to switch hit, I know how to find you

2007-06-12 3:33 PM
in reply to: #841378

User image

Giver
ChrisM - 2007-06-12 3:52 PM

Let's place a very large, well defined and easy-not-to-cross line between thoughts and actions, shall we?  It's a leap of logic to go from someone "thinking" something to someone "doing" something

Absolutely.

Dan said: "Yes, that is akin to that.  If you wear a low cut shirt and you get offended by someone saying something about them..."

If someone says "nice " to a person wearing a low-cut shirt, they deserve their @ss handed to them. If they think "nice ", well, nothing wrong with that as far as I can see.

2007-06-12 4:09 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

People love talking about their tatts

Apparently not...

think I should get "Not a conversation piece" inked under each of my tattoos!

OK, a tad out of context.  Lara was talking more about the random ignorant comment vs. the curious questioning hangloose describes.

I'll be honest, I'm not a tatoo guy, though I don't care if someone else is.  I don't know what women are going for with the back tatoos, but maybe they're not going for anything besides liking it for all I know.  Seems odd placement to me, but again, what do I know?  I know I've never commented on anyone's tatoo, and this thread confirms that's probably the safest social strategy.

2007-06-12 4:19 PM
in reply to: #841594

User image

Giver
morey1 - 2007-06-12 5:09 PM

Apparently not...

OK, a tad out of context.  Lara was talking more about the random ignorant comment vs. the curious questioning hangloose describes.

I'll be honest, I'm not a tatoo guy, though I don't care if someone else is.  I don't know what women are going for with the back tatoos, but maybe they're not going for anything besides liking it for all I know.  Seems odd placement to me, but again, what do I know?  I know I've never commented on anyone's tatoo, and this thread confirms that's probably the safest social strategy.

I like when people ask about mine...

2007-06-12 4:25 PM
in reply to: #841622

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Of course, I am a tat guy when it comes to IM tats.  And I'll ask every time about that, especially if it's a hippie IM tat 

OK, is that true, people want to talk about their tats?  I always feel a bit awkward so I stay quiet as I mentioned.   OK, I'm a total spazz  so bear with me.  If a female has a back tat and it's half covered by a shirt, but I'm curious about it, can I freakin' ask about it?  That seems crude on some level to ask, though I'm not sure why.  Yes I'm old but not THAT old.

2007-06-12 4:30 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I did tri training with a guy and finally at the race (in an indoor pool on an 85-degree day) I was taking pictures (I'm a photographer for crying out loud). We all did the race, all the people with whom we trained, and I sent out about 100 pictures including one of aforementioned guy getting body-marked. I get an e-mail that has a link to the definition of the word ``tact.'' So I messaged him saying `Are you saying I have no tact.' And he goes OFF about how if he wanted everybody to know he had tattoos he'd take pictures of himself and he's now a police officer and the department frowns upon that and he doesn't want his bosses to see the picture etc. etc. etc.

So I told him `If you're ashamed of your tattoos that's not my problem. When you do triathlons you're going to be half-naked most of the time, especially a pool race, so if you're THAT worried about your tattoos either have them removed or stay clothed 100 percent of the time.' So the fact is that SOME people don't like their tattoos or perhaps they're ashamed of their tattoos.

That said, if you have one and you're comfortable with it and you want to show it off, then show it off. Who cares what other people think. But if you're so freaked out that someone is going to see your tats or perhaps you're going to get fired then, again, either cover them up 100 percent of the time or have them removed.
2007-06-12 4:32 PM

User image

run4yrlif - 2007-06-12 2:19 PM
morey1 - 2007-06-12 5:09 PM

Apparently not...

So there ya go...  oh, wait a minute.  OK, here's the rules:   you can ask Jim.   You shouldn't ask Kim.  Hangloose will allow the sincere question.  I'll post the rest as they are written

At any rate, I've learned from this thread that you shouldn't think anything about anyone, no matter what they are wearing, what they say, how they act, etc etc....  apparently.  Blank slate.  That's me from now on.  the thought police are watching

In fact, I am creating a questionnaire to submit to everyone I meet, first question is "what is your sexual preference."  Second question, "can I ask you about your body adornment?"  I'm taking suggestions for furrher questions.    "Favorite position," comes to mind.  "Chipotle or La Salsa?" will be in there somewhere.  Oh, and can't forget "do you know how to change a flat?"

Disclaimer:   All in good fun

2007-06-12 4:55 PM
in reply to: #841629

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
morey1 - 2007-06-12 1:25 PM

OK, is that true, people want to talk about their tats? 

No. Just like not everyone wants to talk about their scars. Sometimes people get tattoos for themselves for very sensitive reasons and they don't want to share those reasons with everyone. Just because the public can see it doesn't mean the public needs to know the story behind it.

People at the pool ask me all the time what my tattoo means. Most of the time I just give them the short answer of "it's Celtic knotwork." Honestly, I don't know these people and I don't really want to share why I got the artwork that I got. Most of the time the short answer suffices, and then they follow with the "how much did it cost", "how long did it take", "did it hurt" questions. Which is fine since most people are just generally curious, so I give them the general answers. But I'm not going to go into a long speech about the meaning of my tattoos with a general person on the street.

2007-06-12 5:36 PM
in reply to: #841639

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by spokes 2007-06-12 5:37 PM
2007-06-12 7:05 PM

Pro
Helena, MT

I guess the general rule of thumb I'd put out there is if you are already talking to someone/know someone, it's totally fine to talk to them about their tats. I really don't mind talking about what they mean to me, how much they hurt or cost, and so forth. It's also fine to say "Nice tat," or something of the like to someone you don't know in passing. It's when the people announce something to you about your tattoo randomly, use it as an opener to hit on you, interrupt you in the middle of your workout to ask you to explain its meaning, etc, that it gets annoying.

For the record, you can feel free to think any ol' thing you like about me based on them! Have yourself a ball! You can think they're ugly, you can think they make me ugly, you can think they mean I'm a wh*re or gay or a devil worshipper or a stockbroker or whatever. Just don't let me in on it unless it follows that greatest of rules of ettiquette: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I should start an ettiquette column, dontcha think?!

2007-06-12 7:12 PM
in reply to: #841815

Elite
Tucson, AZ
kimj81 - 2007-06-12 4:05 PM

It's when the people announce something to you about your tattoo randomly, use it as an opener to hit on you, interrupt you in the middle of your workout to ask you to explain its meaning, etc, that it gets annoying.

Touching is also annoying (similar to pregnant women getting their stomachs grabbed by strangers). My mom has her hands and arms tattooed so random people come up and grab her arms and start rubbing them as they ask about her tattoos, as if they are textured differently or something. Her face is also tattooed, so she also gets pointed fingers and "What's THAT?!" in her face. Some people are so rude.

2007-06-12 7:18 PM
in reply to: #841820

Pro
Helena, MT
PirateGirl - 2007-06-12 5:12 PM
kimj81 - 2007-06-12 4:05 PM

It's when the people announce something to you about your tattoo randomly, use it as an opener to hit on you, interrupt you in the middle of your workout to ask you to explain its meaning, etc, that it gets annoying.

Touching is also annoying (similar to pregnant women getting their stomachs grabbed by strangers). My mom has her hands and arms tattooed so random people come up and grab her arms and start rubbing them as they ask about her tattoos, as if they are textured differently or something. Her face is also tattooed, so she also gets pointed fingers and "What's THAT?!" in her face. Some people are so rude.

Ugh, that would drive me nuts... But, exactly, just because one has tattoos, doesn't remove your obligation to be polite to them (or simply not be rude)!

2007-06-12 7:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-06-13 9:20 AM

Elite
San Jose, CA
kimj81 - 2007-06-12 5:05 PM

I guess the general rule of thumb I'd put out there is if you are already talking to someone/know someone, it's totally fine to talk to them about their tats. I really don't mind talking about what they mean to me, how much they hurt or cost, and so forth. It's also fine to say "Nice tat," or something of the like to someone you don't know in passing. It's when the people announce something to you about your tattoo randomly, use it as an opener to hit on you, interrupt you in the middle of your workout to ask you to explain its meaning, etc, that it gets annoying.

For the record, you can feel free to think any ol' thing you like about me based on them! Have yourself a ball! You can think they're ugly, you can think they make me ugly, you can think they mean I'm a wh*re or gay or a devil worshipper or a stockbroker or whatever. Just don't let me in on it unless it follows that greatest of rules of ettiquette: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I should start an ettiquette column, dontcha think?!

The phrase is actually, "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me."

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » men with tattoos... on the small of their back.... Rss Feed  

of 3