Other Country Forums New Zealand » Ironman 08 - It begins... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-10 9:38 PM

Subject: Ironman 08 - It begins...
Although I talked about it all last year, I finally made the commitment to do it.
5 weeks ago I hooked up with Josh White from Multisport and sorted and sorted out my programs for the Big Day.

I'm in week 4 which is my recovery week before stepping it up again. Training has been good. Finally plucked up the courage to get along Fit for Fun's Saturday brick sessions. I need plenty of help with my swim, bike and run, so it struck me as the best place to get ready for Ironman. Some big time triathletes there mate, but really enjoying the environment. Plenty of friendly kowledgeable people.

It's great training in a squad. You can ponse around down Taka and around the lake, looking good, however come the Big Day...

Running is going good. I've been doing 90-120 min runs. The hardest part is running slow to stay within HR range. I'm not the fastest runner, but slowing down even more is hard on the body.

My weight is down to 108kgs, so thats 20kgs less I 'm carrying.

Did the Auckland series 10 k from Milford to Mairangi Bay in 1h.05 so I'm happy with that, with 9 months to go to the race.

Guy was that you at training on Saturday morning?

Will log my training so you can see how things are going.

2007-09-21 2:33 PM
in reply to: #838160

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: RE: Ironman 08 - It begins...
Yes, I have been going to the later session with Lorraines Squad which was the group I was with last Summer but will probably switch to Steve's squad shortly.

Guy
2007-11-15 6:05 PM
in reply to: #838160

New user

Hi there from far far away!
Are you guys doing the New Zealand Ironman? Have you done it before?
I've been trying to find info on the race from people that have done it but without success. Doesn't seem to be a popular destination from Texas. I signed up for next year and never even been to NZ so I really don't know what to expect... Big hills, cold water??
Anyway, let me know!
2007-11-15 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1055956

Hi, I'm doing it next March. Guy will get his stripes earlier as he is doing an Ironman in Australia.
I'm a first timer but I'm looking forward to it. Our Tri Club did a Half Ironman camp in Taupo last weekend and swam, rode and ran the course. Absolutely fantastic camp and what a place to train and race...awesome. The water was cold but tolerable with a wetsuit. Come March next year it starts to heat up, warm but still wetsuit legal.

The bike has a couple of hills but nothing major. We did one lap (45kms). On the way out you just put the pedal to the metal as there is a downward gradient. On the way back there are a couple of small hills that could hurt second time around. Everyone enjoyed the ride.

The run has a few little hills in.

It's all very scenic, however I'm not sure if I will be admiring the view when I race. GOod chance I'll be looking at the ground-chugging away. You're coming to our Summer, so the weather is pretty good and settled. Having said that, it blew up big time a couple of years ago and they ended up running a duathlon because the swim course had to be closed.

I hear the day after is not to be missed.

There are plenty of camps taking place in January and February so they would be good to get on to. Google North Harbour Triathlon Club, Endurance Coach, Fit For Fun.

I think there is a course profile on the Ironman site. Let me know if you need some advice on accomodation.
2007-11-16 1:17 AM
in reply to: #1055956

User image

Veteran
Auckland
It's a great Ironman course, and is the longest running international course after Kona. A freshwater swim out and back along Lake Taupo, two laps undulating bike ride with some great flat bits and a two lap out and back run along the lake.

A lot of people that come down from the US seem to use Tri Travel who we are using next week for Ironman Australia.

It's a great place to train and race and in March it's towards the end of our Summer so usually pretty good weather.

If you are coming down make sure you leave plenty of time afterwards for sightseeing and exploring NZ.

Guy
New Thread
Other Country Forums New Zealand » Ironman 08 - It begins... Rss Feed