General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body Detox/Body Cleanse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-12 10:51 AM

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Subject: Body Detox/Body Cleanse
Hi
I have heard that these body cleanse/body detox products are good for you in terms of boosting metabolism and generating more engery. I have placed a call to my doctor today to talk to him about these products and if their safe and what his thoughts are.
I am posting here to see if anyone has used any of these and any good or bad news about them.
One product that I was pointed to, from a person who has compelted 10 IMs
was Isagenix ( http://www.isagenixproducts.com/).
So I was also wondering if anyone has used this product.
Overall I am looking for information, both pros and cons on any of them really.
One thing I am really looking for in using something like this, is it effects on training. Or how much training can I do while using such a product.

Currently training for IMFL in Nov. So I want to be carefull, but also know I still have 5 months.

Thanks in advance for any help/information

2007-06-12 1:57 PM
in reply to: #840700

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Body Detox/Body Cleanse
What are you cleansing or detoxing from?  Nobody's ever been able to answer that when I ask.  It's usually just generic "toxins".
2007-06-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: #841238

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Well from what I have read
your body, much like a car engine builds up, well lets call it gunk or oil build up.
The gunk builds up on the walls of the pipes. Toxin start to build up.
I guess it more or less like doing a raditor flush once in a while in the car.
Keeps it all clean.

your question:
"What are you cleansing or detoxing from?"

I have no idea thats why I am doing research and trying to find out.
2007-06-12 2:42 PM
in reply to: #841262

User image

Champion

If you get a good answer, let me know.  I haven't after asking for years.  The "gunk" "build up" etc. response is the usual answer.  The problem is that it sounds great and all but isn't really based in reality.

If you can't tell, I'm on the "con" side. 

Clintjc1 - 2007-06-12 2:04 PM Well from what I have read your body, much like a car engine builds up, well lets call it gunk or oil build up. The gunk builds up on the walls of the pipes. Toxin start to build up. I guess it more or less like doing a raditor flush once in a while in the car. Keeps it all clean. your question: "What are you cleansing or detoxing from?" I have no idea thats why I am doing research and trying to find out.

2007-06-12 3:12 PM

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Yeah, I lean toward the con side as well, until I hear some really good advice as to why, what etc..
The Doc called me back by the way and has doesn't have answer either. Just because he has never researched or looked into it.

So we'll see if I get more info/feedback

2007-06-15 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
I've spent some of my time this past year researching it after a trainer I know advises her clients to use Isagenix
Ironically, she used it, definitely didn't help her energy level, as she has chronic fatigue that has developed over past 8 mos

I am on the 'con' side of it as well.
Our bodies are efficient at cleansing w/o needing a magic pill/drink
Unless, of course, you are scheduled for a colonoscopy

Why take it?
Why pay for it?

Boost your metabolism by eating consistently and via your exercise
Carbs = energy...the isagenix product that promotes energy consists of fructose (carb) and vitamins that can be found in foods, fortified foods, or vitamin

i like this quote "The only thing that loses weight on a detox diet is your wallet."

2007-06-15 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
personally I prefer the fiber and water detox plan. regular dosings of each and your system will naturally clean itself.
2007-06-15 1:00 PM

I'm not a doctor, but isn't that the whole point of having organs like your liver, kidneys, etc? They clean out the toxins.

Eating plenty of fiber and drinking lots of water should be enough - and don't eat junk! If you don't eat junk, your body won't collect junk. Pretty simple.
2007-06-15 1:10 PM

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Thanks for all the feedback. I will most likly not go this route.
One thing did start doing on Monday was get a higher in fiber ceral and the small cans
of prune juice and see what happens.
That is along with all the normal carbs and protiens needed for the training.
So we'll see what happens.

2007-06-15 1:33 PM
in reply to: #846055

Clintjc1 - 2007-06-15 2:10 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I will most likly not go this route.
One thing did start doing on Monday was get a higher in fiber ceral and the small cans
of prune juice and see what happens.
That is along with all the normal carbs and protiens needed for the training.
So we'll see what happens.

Kashi makes several cereals that are high in fiber, ie 8-10 grams, one of their new ones even has 12. And they're quite tasty The new one is labelled "probiotic", which is crap cuz the probiotic stuff is dead, so it's useless in that regard, but the cereal itself is yummy (vanilla graham cracker), has soy protein in it and 12 grams of fiber.
2007-06-15 2:07 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Agreed with all on the con side.

Despite what some websites may tell you, I've never spoken with GI doc who has witnessed "plaques" in the colon during a colonoscopy. During my sedation rotations in residency I never witnessed "plaques".

A "detox" cleanse may seem like it's working because a bunch of crap (no pun intended) comes out, but that's what it will eventually do on it's own anyway. Onc e you stop teh "cleanse", it will reform (like it's supposed to) and your body will continue to process the foods you it like it always does.

A long term diet change to include the following is all you need. 3-5 days of this "diet" will cleanse you as good as a 'detox' diet, except this is healthy way to eat all the time:

Fiber with complex carbohydrates
Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
Lean sources of protein (animal or veggie, is fine by me)
Healthy essential fats.

Water, water, water.

I should listen to my own advice.

2007-06-18 2:39 PM

Expert
Golden, CO

My coworker just started a detox today - Apparently he drinks salt water in the morning and then throughout the day he drinks a mix of water-organic lemon juice- type B maple syrup(unrefined) and cayenne peppers.  Apparently he is supposed to drink about 3/4 of a gallon of the stuff a day for 7 days.  No other foods.  About 550 calories total. 

I can't wait to see what type of shape he is in by thursday.

2007-06-18 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
I make a white bean and kale soup that will flush out everything......
2007-06-22 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
I had a roommate who swore by these commercial detox things....granted she was at least 100 pounds overweight (maybe even 200) and couldn't stick to a diet for longer than a day or two to save her life, but she sure liked the detox stuff!  Never could figure out exactly what she thought she was "gaining" through all of it but I'm pretty sure she tried just about every commercial diet trend in existence during the year we lived together.  It was amazing the kind of crazy stuff she found!  (though a "diet" for her always consisted of a big feast-like meal before going on it to say goodbye to the junk food, a day or maybe two of sticking to it, and then a huge binge after going off it.  I think she may have actually gained weight from "dieting"!)  Ok, sorry, getting way off your topic here but it just got me thinking about her and I couldn't help myself!   She was a really awesome girl, just with interesting diet ideas.... <sigh>
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body Detox/Body Cleanse Rss Feed