General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Herniated disk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-13 9:32 PM

Subject: Herniated disk
My lower back had been bothering me a little from last 2 years but was getting better when i started working on my abs until 3-4 months back. Arrival of spring meant a lot of work around the yard and getting ready for my first triathlon worsened the back pain which exacerbated a fall while playing soccer. I ended up in hospital for 3days. The MRI showed herniated disk. I started physio therapy since yesterday and have orthopaedic surgeon's appointment coming Friday.
I wonder how long it will take me so I could start bike and run, which I love to do. I am on Naproxen and percocet. The pain has gone down substantially and I still have good lower back flexibility surprisingly. I the disk is not pressing against any nerves as I don't feel pain or numbness in my legs.
Let me know if any one had similar injury and a recovery. By the way I am 43 (M) and hope to enjoy triathlon and other outdoor sports for many more years.

Thanks
Mahesh

2007-06-15 12:08 AM
in reply to: #843536

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Herniated disk
There are several of us, do a search for "back injury" or "back surgery".

I had surgery 3+ years ago for an acutely heriated disk that caused un-fing-believable pain and weakness in my right leg. The nerve damage was done in 2 days and the leg still continues to get stronger. I started my first real tri training a bout 8 months after the surgery, but was swimming about 2-3 months afterward which is what started me towards tris.

I still have intermittent pain, but I don't let it stop me from biking or swimming. I stopped running this past spring b/c I could never get comfortable wiht it. I will take it up again if/when I lose anotehr 10 pounds (down 20 since the surgery).

I take 1/2 a percocet about once every 6 months or so for pain, other wise I'll do a short steroid burst (2-3 days) or just use OTC ibuprofin or alleve.

Good luck, you are not alone.
2007-06-15 11:43 AM

Thanks Susan, I will look that up.

Just came back from Doctor's. He is happy with the progress I am making. No surgery is required and given a few days rest, he is allowing me to go ahead and start work outs as long as it does not hurt.
The key is stop as soon as it starts hurting. Playing through the pain seems like a macho thing but it ultimately causes more damage, that's my physio therapist's suggestion.

Thanks
mahesh
2007-06-15 2:50 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

Got one at L4-5. Injured it in early January of this year and, after two steroid injections, managed to avoid surgery. I'm no longer seeing my neurosurgeon as he said I don't need to come back unless I have further problems. He said to go back to whatever I was doing, but gradually, so I took him at his word. Feel free to look at my training log to see what I was doing and what I'm doing now. I found that cycling was the most comfortable, so I just did that for several months. Running on a treadmill set at no less than 6% incline was also okay - the incline took some of the pressure of the back, I found. I've also tried running on a dirt trail (also to minimize some of the impact) and it's so-so. I've even started back into strength training - also not bad but not great.

The key is patience, as these things take forever to heal. But you will be back.

2007-06-19 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Like Mike - I had an L4-5 bulging disk... but mine was pressing right on the sciatic nerve and was causing terrible alternating numbness and then stabbing pain in my left glut.  Lots of toe numbness too when sitting too long.

For 2 years, I did everything other than surgery - epidural steroid injections, pain managment (drugs), PT 3x/week, electrical stimulation, chiropractor, accupuncture, massage.  I reached a point where I was struggling to walk from the metro to work (2 blocks) without having to stop and stretch to alleviate the agony.

Had a diskectomy after much debate, and it was the best decision I ever made.  I wanted to exhaust my non-surgical options first (and I'd do that again, though probably not for two years)... but that surgery is a miracle.  I specifically remember several incidents in the months following where I felt the nerve move back into place a bit.  Very strange... but it supposedly doesn't snap back like a rubberband.

I ran a 3:47 marathon half a year later, which was a big personal victory for me after not being able to walk two blocks.  My marathon PR prior to the injury had been 4:24.  Recovering from back problems is very motivating - reminds you how wonderful it is to be pain free.

2007-06-19 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

I herniated L5-S1 and had complete drop foot in my left leg.  Parts of my left foot and my left shin were totally numb.

It took about two years of PT, steroids, and epidurals but I was able to resume normal activities without surgery.  Now I am generally OK unless I do something stupid, which I do every now and then to remind myself how much I love pain...

At any rate, I am pretty close to pain free and when I do mess it up a short round of steroids and Estim/massage usually sets things right.

2007-06-19 9:40 PM

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and words of encouragement. I am taking heart from so many of you who came out of prolonged back pain to complete marathon/triathlon.
I am planning to start with my swim work outs soon. I hope to keep training log as well.

Thanks again.
Mahesh
2007-06-28 7:39 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I had a herniated L4-5 that required surgery 9 years ago. I began recovery with water aerobics and slowly moved to spinning classes. One of the main reasons I put off doing a tri was I never thought I could run--especially with my back. I've been running almost 2 years with occasional pain but am usually able to stretch it out. Listen to your body and work within your limits while injured then gradually push beyond as you recover.
2007-06-30 1:27 PM

New user

hi everyone out there, i'm a total newbie to this site (and really to tri's in general), but i thought i'd weigh in on this subject since Back-Pain-Limiting-Training-Desire is largely why i joined this site in the first place.

i've always been a fairly active person, but as of about 4 years ago started having "burning" in my posterior tibial area (ie. inside of lower leg). stopped all sports except swimming. after 4 years of physio apts for what i thought was chronic shin splints/stress fractures, seems that the new PT thinks it all comes from the back. i did "throw my back out" acutely a few months ago picking up groceries and was literally immobile for a good 2 weeks hopped up on muscle relaxants & ibuprofen. i have been totally off exercise (including swimming) until 3 wks ago when i started spinning. and now the flare-up again. i can even feel these "balls" in my lower back (i think they're balls of nerve endings??) that when my physio pushes on them, i feel like climbing the wall it hurts so much (and i don't consider myself a whimp...except when it comes to spiders).

so now, the real issue: do i push through the pain and continue with my PT-sanctioned "core stabilization" exercises and spinning, or do i AGAIN take a week or so off and start again when the pain subsides?

and ps. should i give up on my hope of even running a sprint tri NEXT summer if my "training" can only be done in the "one week on, one week rest" styles i seem to be limited to?

sorry for the doozie of built up frustration...honestly, I JUST WANT TO RUNNNNNN
thanks for listening...
2007-06-30 7:33 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I hear your frustration, can feel the pain too...Your back is so inflamed right now it isn't wise to exercise. You need to rest and heal gradually. A tri NEXT SUMMER is not out of the question. Ice may be your best friend ight now--after muscle relaxers, pain pills and antiinflammatories. Personally, I think chiropractic is worthwhile, though not all people agree with that statement so only investigate it if you want to try another form of non-invasive therapy. Gentle stretches may help with some of the pain as well, do you have list of "approved" stretches/core exercises from your PT? Walk, get in the pool for some water walking/light kicking drills...anything but full running or the bike at this point as these will only aggravate the pain.

Hang in there!
2007-07-06 9:56 AM

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but I thought this was important enough to be "better late than never."

It is very, very important for people to understand that disc injuries are NOT alike. Some disc injuries can be readily managed through conservative treatment like chiropractic or physical therapy (more on that later), others require more aggressive management such as injections, and some, indeed, require surgery.

People with back pain and leg pain are far better off than individuals with only leg pain. If you have a herniated disc with only leg pain your chances of recovering solely through conservative care are greatly decreased. If your pain is in the lower back and leg you should be able to see "centralization," the process by which the pain will slowly retract up the leg, settling into the lower back, and ultimately abating.

Remember that recent research has indicated that, 10 years down the road, outcomes are the same for people having disc surgery and for people going the conservative route. However, you need to be able to make it that far - so pain does play a role. Some individuals have so much pain and disability that they simply can't function without the more aggressive intervention.

Furthermore, research also shows that upwards of 50% of the population may have a completely asymptomatic abnormal disc finding. This means that if you take 100 people off the street and throw them in an MRI machine, 50 of them will have an abnormal finding. As a result, the distinction must be made between a disc injury that is relevant and one that is incidental. It appears to me that many patients are told by their doctors that they have a "disc injury" when, in fact, it may only be partially to blame.

As a chiropractor I've seen many, many disc injuries over the years. Some do very well, some don't. From a chiropractic perspective there are specific treatment methods that work - for example, you can ask your chiropractor if he/she does flexion/distraction manipulation. This can help to decompress the disc and take pressure off the affected region. PTs will often incorporate Mckenzie protocols and other pain-reducing procedures. Both routes can work, and I would encourage you to give both a try if one fails.

Lastly, and possibly most important, disc injuries and lower back injuries that result in saddle anesthesia (numbness in the groin) or difficulty maintaining bowel/bladder control are SURGICAL EMERGENCIES. Go directly to the ER.

Just for the record, I sent my own wife for lumbar discectomy 3 years ago after failing both chiropractic and physical therapy. She's done extremely well.

Hope this helps, even just a little.

Steve

2007-07-08 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I had back surgery back 10 years ago L3-L4...I was unable to lift my foot so it was considered that surgery needed to be done quickly. The two situations you can't wait on surgery are loss of bladder/bowel control which needs surgery immediately and then when you lose the ability to lift your foot...I had my surgery in a 10 day window of first developing foot drop. If hadn't had surgery I most likely would not be able to do tri training as it is hard to run/bike without being able to lift your forefoot.

When I started tri training I was unsure how my back would do with the training...surprising that my back post surgery hurt 365 days a year for about 6 years...lost weight, got in shape and now my back hurts maybe 10 days a year.  I can ride/run without any issues most of the time.

My left toes and front half of my foot has lost some feeling but I can move it just fine...I'm really lucky. 

2007-07-12 11:42 PM
in reply to: #876575

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Yep, there's alot of us out there...

I had herniated L5 and lived with it for 15 yrs or so, but I was in misery most of the time...could barely walk.  When I was consistent with ab strenght training, my back was ok.  Then I started cycling.  My back couldn't take that hunched over positions for hrs on end, day in day out.  One day I woke up and couldn't walk.

Finally gave in and had a lamenectomy.  The dr made a small hole in my back, and described it as going in and plucking out a piece of crab meat (a portion of the disk).  Sewed me up and I was fine 6 wks later.  Riding, skiing, skating...

Then I fell skating about a year later, and herniated the L5.  Had the same surgery, and again, was fine soon after.  It's been 14 yrs since that surgery, and I've been a-ok ever since.  I'm riding, running, swimming...  all is fine.

Best of luck to you!

2007-07-15 10:41 PM

Wow...I feel right at home with ALL of you.

Reading the postings here was like someone reading my history over the past 4-5 years.

On again, off again back pain. Tried everything. Getting worse month by month, etc.

I had surgery in April 2006. The "Oh My God" pain was gone right away, but it did take awhile for me to be able to work out. Anyway, just finished my first Sprint Tri today.......NO PAIN.

Phil
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Herniated disk Rss Feed