Yellow Jacket Racing
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 19s
Overall Rank = 124/219
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30. Ate a banana and glass of OJ. Put the bike in the car, did an idiot check and was on the road at 6:02. Got a cup of coffee at the Mobil station. I wasn't too tired considering Madi had me up until after midnight.
Got to the lake with just enough time to get marked, get my chip, rack the bike, lay out my transition area, pin my number to my shirt (more on this later), put on my wetsuit, chat with the folks around me, look for the bike and run exits, reassure the woman next to me doing her first one. The transition area closed at 7:15, Oly waves started at 7:30, Sprint at 8:00.
Event warmup:

None. I wasn't going to run or bike in a wetsuit and the air was far too cold to be going in and out. The other racers agreed. The sprint racers hung around the beach while the Oly's started. I met up with Jeremy. We chatted with a guy who did IM Wisconsin last weekend.
Swim
  • 15m 42s
  • 792 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a much better swim this time. My unofficial time was somewhere around 15 minutes. There were a number of reasons (in order of importance): 1) the wetsuit 2) experience, I've done a race before and knew I could do it again 3) I did'nt go out too fast, kept a good pace 4) I just felt good starting, I had a "can-do, this is going to fun" attitude. 5) the water was incredibly shallow. There was no danger of drowning, so panic wasn't a factor for anyone
What would you do differently?:

I started in the back again and focussed on drafting and navigation for the majority of the swim. I didn't start to think about technique until there was maybe 500 yards left. I actually found myself bottlenecked behind slower swimmers for the first half. Next time, I'll start in the middle of the pack, and focus on technique. With a better stroke and position, I know I could have done even better. This was a good indicator of why a good stroke needs to be made second nature. When I did start to think about it, I felt my speed increase and effort decrease.

Also, wear my shorts under my pants when I leave for the race. Changing into them in the men's room was a drag.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

The suit stuck on my right heel, but came off easily. I thought I pinned the number to the shirt correctly at setup. Honest to god, I thought I did. But when I put my shirt on (after the S+D, which was a mistake) the shirt hung up on that shoulder. I thought it was hung on the GPS unit, but after I don't know how long, I realized a safety pin was pinned to the front and back of the shirt. It took forever to fix this (tiny safety pins, cold hands, time pressure) I put the shirt on again, and oila, the other pin on that side was also put through both sides of the shirt.

Got up to speed and my shoes into the clips ok. The gear could have been a little lower. I forgot to hook up the brake wire after putting the front tire on at the car, but was able to do it while riding with ease.

USE A &*()ING RACE BELT!!! Wear a shirt under my wetsuit. If using pins, take much more care. Put the shirt on once after pinning the number on to make sure it's ok.
Bike
  • 52m 38s
  • 13 miles
  • 14.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I got passed a lot at first, but only by road and tri bikes, no other hybrids or mtn bikes. I did manage to pass a few people.Didn't feel like I fell back as much as last time, but the Sprint and Oly courses diverged so it's hard to tell. There were a few people that drove me nuts blocking because they weren't paying attention or just didn't care. I didn't see one obvious marshall the whole ride.
The adjustment to my seat height and saddle position was also effective. Staying "aero" for longer periods was easier.
I was able to keep a good for me pace by finding a way attractive Athena-ish rider who was going at a pace a bit above what I would have done on my own and woe unto those that tried to get between me and her rear
...wheel. I saw the effects of my bike on a couple of long downhills that I just couldn't develop speed on like everyone else. Max speed was 28.4 MPH. I'm getting curious to see just what kind of time difference a road bike would make.

Train with my bike set up in the position I'm going to race in. I dramatically changed the saddle height and distance a few days before the race. Look into what else I could do mechanically to get some more speed. Maybe rent a road bike if I don't have one by my next race. Find a faster Athena.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I use clips. T2 is not an issue. I took 3 extra seconds for some gatorade.

nothing
Run
  • 23m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Faster than I expected! The weather was ideal. I made my last push with more to go in the course than I thought, but I was able to keep it up until the end. My pace wavered between 7 and 8.5 min/mile. Using the GPS is great because I'm not a great judge of pace. This was a big improvement over my last race. I'm curious as to what I could do in a straight up 5k.

Nothing. I'm happy with this.
I was in the top 40% for the run. Wow!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank a gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: Poor positioning at the start. Lack of focus. Inconsistent training.
T1: sheer boneheadedness with the race number
Bike: The bike. Poor training habits regarding equipment.Inconsistent training.
T2: N/A
Run: Inconsistent training.

Event comments:

My wife Julie got there with our girls and my mom right after I finished. She didn't think I'd finish as soon as I did and felt really bad when she found out. On the bright side, between the atmosphere and seeing the people who were coming in and had just finished, she wants to do a tri next year. That made my day.
I'll be back for this race next year, maybe for the Oly.
*Edit* Got my times. I'm happy with them, except for the bike. I need to get a road bike and put in some serious time on it. It should be noted that the numbers here for overall standings do not include teams, while the YellowJacket website lists teams and individuals together.

Last updated: 2004-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:42 | 792 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 106/219
Performance: Good
Suit: Long john
Course: I got the unofficial time for this, about 15'32". Out, turn left, turn left again. We started at a different point from where we finished. The distance to T1 was maybe 200 yards.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:38 | 13 miles | 14.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/24
Overall: 141/219
Performance: Average
I forgot to hit the lap button on my watch at T2, so I only have a rough idea, but my speed per mile for bike only miles were: 17.8; 9.6; 18.9; 16.0; 17.3; 15.4; 18.5; 17.3; 19.4; 15.9; 16.4; 16.6; 14.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: NW side of the lake. Hilly. Started with a long climb on mile 2, the angle of which wasn't too bad. It was a tough course. In a good way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:35 | 03.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/24
Overall: 83/219
Performance: Good
according to the watch, my pace by miles were: 8'08"; 8'06"; 7'44"
Course: perfectly flat, asphalt. well marked/directed
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-20 8:34 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon

2004-09-20 9:56 PM
in reply to: #64365

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon
Great job Mike.
2004-09-21 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Thanks Kevin. I'm going nuts waiting for the results. According to the YellowJacket Racing web site, there's been a protest so the results are being held up. Argh.

I'll be volunteering this weekend at the TriRatalon. Are you going? If so, maybe we can meet up.

2004-09-21 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Hey, great race! You must have paced yourself really well to get such a great run to finish off the race. Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed