General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the females (for my wife) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-17 5:27 PM

Subject: Question for the females (for my wife)
Howdy All!

For the last four months my wife has been riding hybrid with a big comfortable sit. Well we just bought her a new road bike and now every time she rides it she experiences pain in the "female area". She is currently wearing TRI shorts but apparently they don't provide enough cushion. Any suggestions for her??

Thanks

-moTRIvated

2007-06-17 5:37 PM
in reply to: #847679

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Question for the females (for my wife)
It's probably a saddle issue if it her soft tissues and not the sit bones hurting.
2007-06-17 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
I'm not a female, but many I've talked to swear by the Terry Butterfly saddle.
2007-06-17 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
I have the same problem and it's very uncomfortable. Wearing bike shorts doesn't make that big of a difference, I agree it's a seat issue. Terry butterfly does seem to be popular, I have a specialized women's seat and a fi-zi-ik, but am uncomfortable on both. Your LBS should let her test drive some seats.
Good luck!
2007-06-17 6:22 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

tri shorts DO NOT give you alot of support... they are for quick sprint bike races, not long bike rides...

What she needs is to invest in a pair of Shebeest shorts, seriously, these rock and have great support!!  I have tons of friends that swear by them.  I have ridden a century with them, and did the Horrible Hilly Hundred, and I don't get sore...

However, the va-jay-jay does get "tender" a bit, but never pain.  Does she mean tenderness instead of pain?  Of course after each long ride, I might not be up for "foreplay", LOL!!.... but it's not like I'm in pain down there, just tender.  I'm wonding if she means tender and not pain?

but have her buy high quality shorts, it makes the world of difference!!

simply put, have her buy these, she'll thank me
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=25742

2007-06-17 6:26 PM

User image

Champion
MA

First did she get a bike fit? If not do that first.

Better bike not tri shorts (my favorites are Shebeest SSS, Terry Bella [#1 ranked in bike mag.] or Suggoi Flex something...all are $80+ but well worth it) with chamois butt'r and body glide on her privates helps a lot....as does just time riding. To much cushion actually makes it worse....as the more material gets between your sitz bones and the saddle.

First ride on my road bike in less than 3 miles I thought my privates would die and could never imagine riding for 4, 5, 6 hours which I love to do now.

A saddle with a cut out is very helpful. First year I used Terry Butterfly, last year Terry Zero X their race saddle and now I ride a man's small and very hard saddle from Specialized. I'd recommend going someplace that has a generous return policy so she can try it and then return it for another if it doesn't work out. Terry if you buy on-line has a 30 day money back policy.

I think in time you get used to riding and your bum/privates toughen up.

Glad she wants to ride...great thing for couples to do together~

Those shorts Shebeest SSS listed above used to be my favorite & I have 3 parirs of them but now I must say the Terry Bellas are better...they have no elastic in the front which is nice if you are not stick thin as they don't dig in at all....fabric wicks nice and the chamois has tiny invisible holes in it so it wicks and keeps your crotch a bit cooler. 

Edited by KathyG 2007-06-17 6:29 PM

2007-06-17 6:36 PM
in reply to: #847719

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
KathyG - 2007-06-17 6:26 PM

First did she get a bike fit? If not do that first.

Better bike not tri shorts (my favorites are Shebeest SSS, Terry Bella [#1 ranked in bike mag.] or Suggoi Flex something...all are $80+ but well worth it) with chamois butt'r and body glide on her privates helps a lot....as does just time riding. To much cushion actually makes it worse....as the more material gets between your sitz bones and the saddle.

First ride on my road bike in less than 3 miles I thought my privates would die and could never imagine riding for 4, 5, 6 hours which I love to do now.

A saddle with a cut out is very helpful. First year I used Terry Butterfly, last year Terry Zero X their race saddle and now I ride a man's small and very hard saddle from Specialized. I'd recommend going someplace that has a generous return policy so she can try it and then return it for another if it doesn't work out. Terry if you buy on-line has a 30 day money back policy.

I think in time you get used to riding and your bum/privates toughen up.

Glad she wants to ride...great thing for couples to do together~

Those shorts Shebeest SSS listed above used to be my favorite & I have 3 parirs of them but now I must say the Terry Bellas are better...they have no elastic in the front which is nice if you are not stick thin as they don't dig in at all....fabric wicks nice and the chamois has tiny invisible holes in it so it wicks and keeps your crotch a bit cooler. 

oh heck, did you change your avatar to the crash pic!!  At least I know who you are now, sorry about the crash

but thanks for the short post... I love the SSS, but I'll check out the Terry Bella's as well.  Hope you are recovering well

2007-06-17 7:04 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Ditto everyone else (first of all): 1. go through a pro bike fitting at your LBS, 2. experiment with saddles, esp. split ones, 3. get a sturdy pair of bike shorts, 4. put some time in on the bike.

I did have an experience where I went through all that and while there was no more pain in my nether regions, the whole area would go NUMB while riding and getting feeling back in it after a long ride was REALLY uncomfortable.

Believe it or not, switching to MEN'S bike shorts made that final difference.

I've heard this happen to a few other women, but it's rare.  Besides, all the prelim steps are things she really needs to do in any case. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the females (for my wife) Rss Feed