General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another winter training question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-21 8:37 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: Yet another winter training question...

Do most of you keep up with two workouts/day in your off season?

2004-09-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #64496

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Yet another winter training question...
The only time I do two-a-days during winter is when I run in the AM on Mon and Wed and I also happen to lift on those nights.
2004-09-21 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Funny you should ask, Cindy.  I just built my winter training schedule in Excel yesterday and when it was done, I sat back and said, "how in the heck am I going to get all this done?".  Each week has 3 days requiring two disciplines.  I'm concerned about balancing the requirements of training and the rest of my work/personal life.  For instance, an hour swim is actually a minimum of 2 hours out of the day when you include driving time and changing clothes.  I'll just have to become a master of time management and getting along with less sleep.

How about you?  What does your training schedule look like?

2004-09-21 8:56 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

You and I are on the same page for sure!  I haven't actually written my training plan for the winter out yet, I'm just finishing my "recovery" from my race 1 1/2 weeks ago.  But I'm in school full time and trying to maintain an A average....also I was really hoping to spend more time focusing on yoga and strength training this winter.  There's no way I can do all of that AND 2 swim/bike/run workouts every day!

My thoughts are to do 1 long and 1 short workout in each discipline weekly, mostly in the morning or mid afternoon.   Strength train 2x/wk primarily upper body, yoga 2-3 x/wk.  So it will still be 2 workouts most days, but only 1 workout will be triathlon specific.

School ends mid May, my 1/2 IM is in mid July, so that still gives me plenty of time to get geared back up for it I hope...what do you think?

Edited by CindyK 2004-09-21 8:56 AM
2004-09-21 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

You and I may be in different phases of training.  It sounds like you already have a fairly good base of training for the distances required of a half IM.  I do not and will be spending an extended period of time creating an aerobic base this winter.  Unfortunately, this requires frequent and lengthy workouts.  I did my first Oly and for a variety of reasons, the most important of which was a lack of preparatory training, I did not perform up to my expectations.  So, I am dedicated to doing a much better job of preparing for my next step in this journey next spring when I compete in my first Half IM.

As I said earlier, I built my schedule in Excel and in such a way that it is easily modified.  If you're interested in using it as a framework, you're welcome to it.  Do you know how to attach a document to these posts?  I may just have to email it out if you'd like to see it.

Edited by Motivated 2004-09-21 9:13 AM

2004-09-21 9:29 AM
in reply to: #64509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Motivated - 2004-09-21 8:10 AM

As I said earlier, I built my schedule in Excel and in such a way that it is easily modified.  If you're interested in using it as a framework, you're welcome to it.  Do you know how to attach a document to these posts?  I may just have to email it out if you'd like to see it.

Hi Karl, is this open to others? It would be great to see what you are doing, it is the pure distance (endurance/nutrition) that I most need to work on.  I have not started doubling my workouts too much yet - I was hoping to wait a few months for that. But I think your first (of 3 1/2IM's !!!) is in the spring?

Cindy, what did you follow for a training program last time - actually, maybe I am just being lazy in asking, as you likely answered in a previous thread - will go back and look.  

Also, reconizing this might be an odd place to throw this question in, but what is the etiquette about placing a link to someone else's blog into my blog ....does one request permission or is it implied by the fact that the blog is public?

2004-09-21 9:34 AM
in reply to: #64517

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Laerka - 2004-09-21 9:29 AM
Motivated - 2004-09-21 8:10 AM

Hi Karl, is this open to others? It would be great to see what you are doing, it is the pure distance (endurance/nutrition) that I most need to work on.  I have not started doubling my workouts too much yet - I was hoping to wait a few months for that. But I think your first (of 3 1/2IM's !!!) is in the spring?

Sann, if you'd like to see it, I can email it to you.  I don't think I can attach it to these posts since its an excel file...it is a gradual building of the distances over 33 weeks to prepare me for my first haf IM in May 2005.

2004-09-21 9:38 AM
in reply to: #64523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Sann, if you'd like to see it, I can email it to you.  I don't think I can attach it to these posts since its an excel file...it is a gradual building of the distances over 33 weeks to prepare me for my first haf IM in May 2005.

Please!

Most of what I am reading is more geared to the IM distance, so playing with how to alter it to suit the 1/2. A concrete plan would be great to see .... and use!

2004-09-21 9:39 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
People people people!!! The Off Season should be just that! Cindy do your yoga, chill out and do some stuff for fun. By all means do some swim bike run sessions but give yourself a HOLIDAY!!!!! You need to refresh your mind and your body. Go XC skiing, hiking, climbing, MTB riding. Even if you are planning for a big race next season if you maintain a reasonable base you can do up to HalfIM on 20 weeks training. I am still sneaking up on 2-a-day sessions and my season is starting in 2 months! So stop obsessing about schedules. Motivated this is the time when your repair any relationship/work issues caused by your commitment to training and racing, not continue to do the same thing year around! Relax people! Dx
2004-09-21 9:46 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i'm planning on running 5 days a week, but probably only swimming once a week and biking once or twice (and mostly on the wind trainer). i may also look into snow shoeing races and see if i can do some of that. in general though, since my last race my training has simplified a lot, so i'm not planning on cutting back much more than i already have. if i do a race in april (which is the earliest i would be racing), i would start back with full time tri training at the end of january.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another winter training question... Rss Feed