General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nervous...for first Tri this Saturday & ?'s Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-21 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Nervous...for first Tri this Saturday & ?'s
I'm doing my first Tri this Saturday in Bristol RI...Tri the Tri.

It is a Sprint Tri and I have been training since late April. My goal is to finish and I would like not to come in last, but finishing is more important. I have lost 75 pounds in a 1.5 years and was a big couch potato and now can run 3 miles very slowly...can swim 400 yards...hoping the other 100 can come with the race, and biking is not a problem.

My Big question:

Ocean Swim

I'm nervous, excited and a bit afraid of the ocean swim. I'm worried about the temp of the water and honestly it's the ocean. I was going to the location over the weekend to practice and check out the course but it was raining really hard. I hope to go this week before Saturday. Yesterday I spoke to a Tri friend and she told me about a Tri recently on the Cape and there were lots of jellyfish. I understand last year it was about 69 degrees. I don't have a wetsuit and have thought about getting one...but with 5 days to go is it nuts to change my plan. Promotion has sale ones in my size and compared to renting it isn't that much more for the type without sleeves. In NE does a full or sleeveless type of wetsuit make since? I hope to continue to lose weight so I don't want to get a wetsuit and not be able to use it next year.

My other questions are about my heart rate monitor.

My max heart rate for running is 185 and I have been trying to run longer and keep my HR in zone 3 130-148 whcih I struggle to do. I have done some running at the Y on a treadmill and find it hard to lower my heart rate even when I slow my pace way down. My running heart rate is usually in the 160's. When I was going slow and breathing easy but my heart rate was in the 160's someone I knew that had done a tri came and we talked for a few minutes. After she left my heart rate was 120, and then as I checked it my hr slowly rose to around 150. Any ideas why when I slow down my rate stays high even if I started running slowly the whole time?

When I play soccer and sprint for short times my heart rate goes up to 235 or so....does that occur for others of you when you do a quick but short hard sprint?

Thanks for any input and help....
Kathy from MA

2004-09-21 11:01 AM
in reply to: #64584

User image

Veteran
MA
Subject: RE: Nervous...for first Tri this Saturday & ?'s
Hi Kathy!

I have never done an ocean swim, so I can't be of much help. In general, it is a bad idea to do anything for the first time on the day of your race. So if you do get a wetsuit, be sure to try it out a few times before hand. I have heard of people that panic from a feeling of constriction in the chest from the wetsuit. Personally, I have never had any problem with my wetsuit. I am also in Mass., and I got a long sleeve one (Ironman brand) and I have been very happy.

On the heart rate, how did you calculate your max HR? I think that 235 is a really high number for heart rate. Maybe your monitor was messed up. Your true max rate for a given sport is as high as or higher than the max that you have observed (except for monitor malfunction, of course).

Deb
2004-09-21 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Thanks for the input.

When I play pick up soccer, I usually wear my HR and normally each week I get up to 235-236 for a short time each time I play. I have thought it was just from a quick burst of energy. It sort of shocked me the first few times, but since I see that number each week, I don't worry but wonder why it gets that high. I guess it is my soccer heart max.

I don't use 235 to calculate my max heart rate but 185.

How I calculated 185 as my max running HR is based on Sally Edwards books...and now I don't remember how I did it. In track workouts I can get up into the high 170's. Doing the fitness test on my Polar, it estimates my max heart rate at 183-185. I'm 42.

Kathy
2004-09-21 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Hi Kathy. You will do fine this weekend!! Ocean swims are a little different, but just focus on the bouy, turn, and focus on shore. Stay focused on the turn around point and hug that line. Current can be a big factor. Be aware of it. Depending on which wave you swim in, watch the athletes that swim before you and get an idea of current, and correct based on that.

I live in Florida, so can't really offer much advice on the temperature thing. My ocean swim this weekend was 82 degrees, and I thought it was COLD!!!! :}

Wendi
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nervous...for first Tri this Saturday & ?'s Rss Feed