General Discussion Triathlon Talk » warm water on bike and other random ?'s Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-18 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: warm water on bike and other random ?'s
1. How does everyone deal with warm water on their bike rides? I usally put my bottle of water in the freezer for a bit before a ride but with this hot weather it's still warm after like 20-30mins.

2. Do you guys usually have a seperate bottle of water in your transition area to drink out of so you don't have to waste time taking it out of your cage and putting it back in?

3. Do you guys wear hats when you run? When it's hot i sweat like a pig and the sweat drips in my eyes and it stings like a bugger. Don't hats hold in the heat?

4.whats the best way to dismount your bike? unclip both shoes then swing your right leg over to the left side then jump off once you're slowed down enough? I've tried this but sometimes my left shoe will clip back in my pedal and this can be akward once both feet are on the left side.

5.when your pushing your bike back to the transition area after the bike portion do you push it by the seat or by the stem? I've tried by the seat but the bike always turns unlike the other people i've seen doing this.

6.after the bike(T2) do you guys run some quick short strides to get your legs into the run or do you just go at a slow pace untill your legs aren't rubber anymore?

thanks for any replies!
Pete

2007-06-18 2:44 PM
in reply to: #849267

User image

Master
New York
Subject: RE: warm water on bike and other random ?'s
newbie13 - 2007-06-18 2:38 PM

1. How does everyone deal with warm water on their bike rides? I usally put my bottle of water in the freezer for a bit before a ride but with this hot weather it's still warm after like 20-30mins.
Depends on how long I'll be out. If it's an hour (i.e. 1 bottle) I may put an ice cube or two in it. For longer rides where I have multiple bottles, I generally pack a few in a small cooler with some ice. You could also try feezing the bottle the night before, if it will be especially hot out.

2. Do you guys usually have a seperate bottle of water in your transition area to drink out of so you don't have to waste time taking it out of your cage and putting it back in? No

3. Do you guys wear hats when you run? When it's hot i sweat like a pig and the sweat drips in my eyes and it stings like a bugger. Don't hats hold in the heat? I wear a technical visor, but you can buy hats made out of technical, moisture-wicking fabric.

4.whats the best way to dismount your bike? unclip both shoes then swing your right leg over to the left side then jump off once you're slowed down enough? I've tried this but sometimes my left shoe will clip back in my pedal and this can be akward once both feet are on the left side. That depends - that method might be the fastest, but it takes a lot of practice and coordination. For me, the extra 5 seconds to do a standard dismount outweigh the potential mass casualties of a flying dismount.

5.when your pushing your bike back to the transition area after the bike portion do you push it by the seat or by the stem? I've tried by the seat but the bike always turns unlike the other people i've seen doing this. Coming into T2 at a run, I hold it by the stem. Too much chance of phantom steering for me if I take it by the seat. If I'm just walking with it (i.e. not in a race), I push it by the seat.

6.after the bike(T2) do you guys run some quick short strides to get your legs into the run or do you just go at a slow pace untill your legs aren't rubber anymore? Do bricks so that you're used to rubber legs. Then you can just run fast the whole time!

Edited by KenyonTri 2007-06-18 2:44 PM
2007-06-18 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

The Polar water bottles can keep it colder a bit longer as well. I have just started to get used to dealing with drinking warmer water and not worrying about it. For my long rides I have one water bottle and an aero bottle. I hit the water fountains along the way and just deal with warm water.

2. Do you guys usually have a seperate bottle of water in your transition area to drink out of so you don't have to waste time taking it out of your cage and putting it back in?

You don't need to waste the time with this. Take a drink before getting off your bike or hit an aid station early in the run. Several races that I have been in have drinks available coming right out of transition.

3. Do you guys wear hats when you run? When it's hot i sweat like a pig and the sweat drips in my eyes and it stings like a bugger. Don't hats hold in the heat?

I wear a hat made out of wicking fabric for this very reason. Yes, it can hold in some heat, but it is not as hot as a regular ball cap. Wipe a strip of Bodyglide on your forehead, it can help channel the water away from running down into your eyes.

4.whats the best way to dismount your bike? unclip both shoes then swing your right leg over to the left side then jump off once you're slowed down enough? I've tried this but sometimes my left shoe will clip back in my pedal and this can be akward once both feet are on the left side.

I am no help with this one.

5.when your pushing your bike back to the transition area after the bike portion do you push it by the seat or by the stem? I've tried by the seat but the bike always turns unlike the other people i've seen doing this.

Push it however you are most comfortable and have the most control.

6.after the bike(T2) do you guys run some quick short strides to get your legs into the run or do you just go at a slow pace untill your legs aren't rubber anymore? thanks for any replies! Pete

Practice running off the bike during training to get used to this feeling!

2007-06-18 3:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2007-06-18 3:02 PM
2007-06-18 3:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
-Like rollinsw, the polar bottles are insulated to keep your drinks colder longer, they work great

-again, like kenyontri said, dont waste time with this, drink on the bike and at the run aid stations

-moisture wicking fabric is your friend...either hat or visor, i use a visor and it works well, especially dumping water on top of my head and letting it drip down everywhere

-as jeepfleeb said, unvelcro your shoes and put your feet on top of them, pedal for the last 1/4 mile or less like that, then swing your foot over to whichever side your comfy with and hop off...for me i swing my right behind my left and have my right foot hit the ground first so i dont have to worry about my pedal hitting me in the back of the leg on my first step

-i was also wondering about this prior to my first race, but you'll find its much easier to steer your bike by the seat when you're running at a good rate....holding it by the seat while you're just walking or jogging slowly is much more difficult
6.after the bike(T2) do you guys run some quick short strides to get your legs into the run or do you just go at a slow pace untill your legs aren't rubber anymore?
-shortly before entering T2, change your gears to something that you can spin a little faster than your normal cadence...this helps get the lactic acid out and moving around so your legs arent so dead when you start the run....quick strides are the way to go out of T2

good luck, hope this helps
2007-06-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #849308

Crystal Lake, IL
JeepFleeb - 2007-06-18 3:00 PM

4.whats the best way to dismount your bike? unclip both shoes then swing your right leg over to the left side then jump off once you're slowed down enough?

No, leave both of your shoes clipped in.  Undo the straps, pull your feet out and ride for a bit with your feet on top of your shoes.  Then stand on your left foot, swing the right over, slow down to match your run speed and hop off running at the dismount line.

A tip, and this also partially answers another of your questions.  If you do this, and I do - I love feeling fast! - when you are running the bike in hold it by the stem AND the seat and be ready to lift the seat if necessary.  The shoes flopping around might get jammed and one of two things needs to happen.  The bike will pop up or the shoe will pop off.  You don't want to have to run back to get the shoe, thereby losing all the time you just worked so hard to gain.  I practically carry the back wheel off the ground when I'm running with the bike.

2007-06-18 3:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thank you very much for all the great advice, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna buy one of those technical visors or hats this week, the only thing I have a problem with is the recommendation to unvelcro my my shoes and leave them clipped in. I've never tried this myself but after watching a triathlon a few weeks ago I saw way too many people having problems with there shoes smacking the ground and there bikes popping off the ground or shoes dragging or shoes falling off. I will practice this way after my first race but I don't wanna try anything new this close to the race. I also love the idea of a stripe of body glide accross the forehead so the sweat won't drip down into my eyess, does that actually work?

thanks again everyone for taking the time to answer my questions.
2007-06-18 3:41 PM
in reply to: #849346

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
hangloose - 2007-06-18 3:18 PM

4.whats the best way to dismount your bike? unclip both shoes then swing your right leg over to the left side then jump off once you're slowed down enough?

No, leave both of your shoes clipped in.  Undo the straps, pull your feet out and ride for a bit with your feet on top of your shoes.  Then stand on your left foot, swing the right over, slow down to match your run speed and hop off running at the dismount line.

A tip, and this also partially answers another of your questions.  If you do this, and I do - I love feeling fast! - when you are running the bike in hold it by the stem AND the seat and be ready to lift the seat if necessary.  The shoes flopping around might get jammed and one of two things needs to happen.  The bike will pop up or the shoe will pop off.  You don't want to have to run back to get the shoe, thereby losing all the time you just worked so hard to gain.  I practically carry the back wheel off the ground when I'm running with the bike.

Coming out of T1, hold your shoes in place with a rubber band tied from the loop on the back of the shoe to the rear skewer to prevent floppage.

Edited by the bear 2007-06-18 3:42 PM
2007-06-18 4:08 PM
in reply to: #849392

Elite
Muskego, WI
the bear - 2007-06-18 3:41 PM

Coming out of T1, hold your shoes in place with a rubber band tied from the loop on the back of the shoe to the rear skewer to prevent floppage.

Bear/others, here's the question.  In practice, yes, I use rubber bands to exit T1.  Coming into T2 I take my feet out, and when I dismount the shoes are flopping all over the place, and running any distance with the bike, they get caught, drag, and sometimes clip out.  I haven't used this technique in T2 because of my experience in practice.  Am I doing something wrong?

2007-06-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: #849436

Crystal Lake, IL
morey1 - 2007-06-18 4:08 PM
the bear - 2007-06-18 3:41 PM

Bear/others, here's the question.  In practice, yes, I use rubber bands to exit T1.  Coming into T2 I take my feet out, and when I dismount the shoes are flopping all over the place, and running any distance with the bike, they get caught, drag, and sometimes clip out.  I haven't used this technique in T2 because of my experience in practice.  Am I doing something wrong?

Well, IMO just do what I described in the post above.  While running put a little upward pressure with your rearward (right for me) hand below the back of the seat.  This allows for impact if the shoes should bump into anything and prevents them from popping.  It's not really that hard.  In close quarters its easier to steer the bike this way anyway.

If Bear has any other suggestions I'll defer to him (as usual) because he has way more experience doing this than I do (as usual). 

2007-06-18 6:40 PM

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
I end up with one shoe closer to the 12:00 position and the other closer to the 6:00 position. The one at 12:00 doesn't even touch the ground. The one at 6:00 drags behind. When I step off the bike, I don't do anything that would flip it forward. So far, I've never had a shoe come off once I've dismounted. I have had them come off when I am dismounting.

2007-06-18 6:58 PM

Master
Portland, ME

1. Warm water is better than no water. I don't think much about the warmth of the water anymore. But, freezing a bottle the night before if it's going to be hot for the race works ok.

2. I generally don't waste time in transition drinking water. I either drink before or after I get there.

3. I wear a headsweat brand hat. Those micro, wicking fiber hats. They work great and I feel cooler with one on than running without one. I'll usually dump a cup of water on my head/hat at aid stations.

4. Anyway that doesn't involve doing an endo. But Jeepfleeb described the best way rather well. I just unclip and try not to crash.

5. I probably hold the steam and seat, but just holding the seat is faster, I think, since all the cool tri-geeks do it that way.

6. If you can run strides at the beginning of the run, then you didn't bike hard enough. I just try to get to race pace as fast as posssible knowing that the hurt in the legs will go away in a mile or so.

2007-06-18 7:00 PM

Champion
Butler

1. How does everyone deal with warm water on their bike rides? I usally put my bottle of water in the freezer for a bit before a ride but with this hot weather it's still warm after like 20-30mins.  Just learn to drink warm water.  If you race where there is water on the bike/run it will be warm so mid as well get used to it.

2. Do you guys usually have a seperate bottle of water in your transition area to drink out of so you don't have to waste time taking it out of your cage and putting it back in? Aerobars with an aero bottle and then a spare bottle or two if the ride is long enought to refill the aero bottle with.

3. Do you guys wear hats when you run? When it's hot i sweat like a pig and the sweat drips in my eyes and it stings like a bugger. Don't hats hold in the heat? I do wear a hat most of the time.  I also am a sweater and the dri fit hat actually will keep you cooler by letting the sweat evaporate.  Also with me the sweat rolls off the brim and not down my forehead.

4.whats the best way to dismount your bike? unclip both shoes then swing your right leg over to the left side then jump off once you're slowed down enough? I've tried this but sometimes my left shoe will clip back in my pedal and this can be akward once both feet are on the left side.  Slid your feet out as you near transition and slow down near dismount line swing one leg over and jump off running.

5.when your pushing your bike back to the transition area after the bike portion do you push it by the seat or by the stem? I've tried by the seat but the bike always turns unlike the other people i've seen doing this. I push by the steam.

6.after the bike(T2) do you guys run some quick short strides to get your legs into the run or do you just go at a slow pace untill your legs aren't rubber anymore? thanks for any replies! Pete

I just start running and try to hold form and you will run fine.

2007-06-18 8:10 PM

Master
I freeze 1/2 or 1/4 of the water bottle the night before, and let that keep the rest of the water cool. I do have to break the ice up, as it expands while freezing and I can't get the bottle back into the holder otherwise.

~fatBoy
http://trifatboy.com
2007-06-18 10:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
also another quick note on the headsweat visors....the back of the visor is all one big stretchy band, and while at my friends half IM a few weeks ago, he found that it was great for sticking the wet sponges in that you get at the running aid stations....he had a few of them stuck back there, and every aid station he would get one cup of water and dump it on the sponges which would soak up the water and drip for a little bit...he said it worked pretty good
2007-06-19 7:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
thats a great idea especially on those blazing hot days.

2007-06-19 7:33 AM

Pro
Woodstock,GA

newbie13 - 2007-06-18 3:38 PM 1. How does everyone deal with warm water on their bike rides? I usally put my bottle of water in the freezer for a bit before a ride but with this hot weather it's still warm after like 20-30mins.

As stated before, get used to drinking warm water or sports drink, freezing your water bottles the night before makes them into a very dangerous projectile. They will eject from your water bottle cages at the first bump and take out anyone who is behind you.  

The majority of races have a water table at some point between the swim and T1, if they don't just wait until you get on the bike and up to speed. No need to waste time drinking in T1, the object is to get in and get out. 

Not a big hat fan, I prefer visors. Headsweats makes both hats and visors with a built in sweat band. 

The flying dismount is THE way to get off your bike, it will save you alot of time and getting in and out of T2. It's also a heck of alot easier to run in barefeet or socks than in cycling shoes. You should start by practicing on your trainer, then progress to a grass field, then and only then should you practice in training until you have it down. DO NOT try and whip out a flying dismount at your next race without practicing first. 

The flying mount on the other hand (IMO) isn't worth the effort. I can put on my cycling shoes and be up to speed before most people get on their bikes and slide their feet in, strap down the straps and get up to speed. It's a personal preferance and you should practice it at length before trying it at a race.

Pushing by the seat is the preferred method, you have to be running though and get it up to speed for this to work. Set up some cones and try a slalom course pushing by the seat until you get good at it. Practicing transitions are just as important as swim, bike, run. 

A good way to be comfortable running off the bike is to follow every bike ride with a short transition run of 10-15 minutes. These runs are not defined by distance or HR Zone, but are instead used to get the body ready to run off the bike. You can and should also do a weekly brick workout that has a defined bike and run component to practice race day nutrition, hydration and pacing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » warm water on bike and other random ?'s Rss Feed