Viking Biking Club
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did not sleep very well the night before the race. I went to bed around 10. We were camping, so I kept waking up from the noise. At one point, it started raining, so had to move the bikes under the canopy of the trailer. Then my bike fell over. Finally woke up around 5:30 and just decided to get ready. Had a cup of coffee, a banana and a bowl of cereal. Got dressed and packed up and then headed out.
Event warmup:

Rode from the campsite in Blue Mound State Park to the start of the course.

I was riding this with my dad - we registered together as his Father's Day gift. I was looking forward to it, but it wasn't to be.
Bike
  • 2h 41m
  • 30.1 miles
  • 11.22 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride started out well. I handled all of the hills in the first eight miles really well. I was making it up them, albeit slowly, but not having to walk. When we turned onto Mounds Park Road, I was not prepared for the hill. It's probably about 2 - 3 miles of steep climbing. I was able to make it partly up. At one point, I wanted to stop and rest, so I got one foot out of the cleats. It hit the pavement and I slipped and fell over. The bike slid on top of me and cut up my leg pretty bad. It must have looked bad because lots of people stopped to check on me. They even had someone stop a sag and get out to see if I needed help. He helped me clean up (thanks, mechanic from Erik's!) and we kept going. I didn't realize right away that I had twisted my knee during the crash. My dad and I kept riding - well I walked up the rest of the hill and met him at the top. The next five miles were okay, but I realized it was getting harder to push up the hills because my knee was sore. It was hurting a lot so I had to walk up a lot of the hills. We split up at County JJ and my dad rode ahead. I was feeling pretty good through this section up until the first rest stop. Then came the crazy climb up to the rest stop. I can't believe how steep this hill was!! I made it about halfway up before I had to walk.

At the rest stop, I got my bike fixed (had to adjust the front derailleur because it was out of alignment). Went to medical and they didn't want to treat my leg because it "was just road rash". No, it was deep cuts that were greasy from a chain ring, but hey, same thing.

I felt stronger coming out of the rest stop and was able to do the hills in the first three miles. Once we turned onto Barlow, I started climbing and knew I couldn't do anymore. There was so much tension under my knee that it felt like something was going to snap. I got picked up by the sag at the corner of Barlow and Mineral Point. My day was over. :(
What would you do differently?:

NOT CRASH!!!!

Train more on the hills, possibly in the mountains west of Richmond.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish line and did some stretching. Then I had a beer and the first custard I've had in six months. That was the highlight of my day! I took my bike back down to our campsite and brought the car up to the top of the hill (no way I was walking or biking up it again). Riding the bike to the campsite was really painful. I got a beer (for my dad) and waited for him to come in. Cheered on people while I waited.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crashing!!

I'm really disappointed that I wasn't able to finish. I know I made the right decision, but it's still hard to deal with right now.

Event comments:

There were only two rest stops on the course with a few additional water stops. This really wasn't enough. Many people ran out of water because they were too far apart.

I wasn't impressed with the medical staff. One of the EMS people wanted to put antiseptic on my cuts, but a volunteer said they couldn't because I had road rash. Nope, I have deep cuts from my chain ring. I found that really annoying

It would have been nice to have more information about the ride in packet pickup, especially about logistics of the ride. Many of the volunteers weren't very well informed either.

Last updated: 2007-06-04 12:00 AM
Biking
02:41:00 | 30.1 miles | 11.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: http://www.horriblyhilly.com/maps/HHH_Map_100K.pdf
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 7:31 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: Horribly Hilly Hundreds 100K

2007-06-19 8:08 AM
in reply to: #849703

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: RE: Horribly Hilly Hundreds 100K

I am sorry about the crash but as I said before I think it was a good decision t stop!

30 miles is already a long way especially with an injured knee!

And you are already my hero for CAMPING the night before a race (can you tell I hate camping )

Get better soon!

Edited by Joblin 2007-06-19 8:08 AM
2007-06-19 10:26 AM
in reply to: #850100

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Well you did learn something from it all so that's a positive! 

For me sleep quality the night before doesn't matter a whole lot.

So where's the blood and gore pix!!!

2007-06-19 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Sorry about the fall Jen.  

Sounds like some tough hills!

2007-06-19 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Safe to assume you're feeling a little down now, but hopefully, in time, you'll have a different perspective.

Accidents and goof-ups happen. Life doesn't always go accoridng to plan. The important thing is that you were out there to begin with. It's exceptionally cool that you planned something like this with your dad. That's all the gift he'll ever want or need, I'm sure.

Heal up and get back out there.
2007-06-19 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Truth in Advertising!

Horribly Hilly is no joke. I was out there suffering on Saturday with you... It was hotter than hell and hillier than anything I've ever seen.

I didn't walk til the very end.... when I started to hyperventilate... I got frustrated and literally pushed my bike over, and stood at the side of the road... trying to stop crying and regain control of my breathing.

This was the hardest event I've ever done. Harder than any triathlon of any distance. Holy Cats!

You made it almost half way on a bum knee! I can see how you'd fall on some of those uphills. BRUTAL.

Try again next year??? I think I might.

2007-06-19 9:41 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Jen, you made a wise choice.  You still did what many (read: Me) would not want to do.  Great job on tackling HHH and doing it with your Dad.  Effort is what gets us through.  But you know that.  Watch that knee.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Horribly Hilly Hundreds 100K Rss Feed