General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Please don't let me fall off the wagon! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-18 8:06 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Please don't let me fall off the wagon!
It's like deja vu all over again. For the second time, I've signed up for my first triathlon. I bailed out last time because I was a big loser and didn't train for it. I can't let that happen this time.....I've got to do it.

I really have no excuses....

I'm 31
No kids
All of my arms and legs work
I have 2 bikes, a bathing suit and a plethora of sneakers
2 gym memberships (one with a pool)
Endless local running routes
The ocean is only a few miles away

I've got 3 months and 4 days.........

I can do this, right?!

2007-06-18 8:24 PM
in reply to: #849734

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Please don't let me fall off the wagon!

You absolutely can do this.

Registering for a race is a great start. Here are some other ways to stay on track:

- Pick a training plan. Having a specific workout planned makes it much more likely that you'll actually train on any given day.
- Log your training. Once you get a few days in a row in, it can be a big boost to look at your log and see the work you've already done.
- Inspire other people and get involved in a monthly challenge. Knowing that there are people who are going to check your training log adds accountability.

2007-06-19 11:23 AM

User image

Ferndale
Do it. I think a good way to stick with it is to get a training partner. If you have someone pushing you and counting on you to meet them for a run, you are more inclined to stick with it. If none of your friends will do it, join a local tri club in your area.

Good Luck.
2007-06-19 11:51 AM

User image

Master

Marmadaddy is 100% correct!!

This one really works for me: 

"Inspire other people and get involved in a monthly challenge. Knowing that there are people who are going to check your training log adds accountability.

Another great strategy is to find people in your area to meet and train with.   

I'm going to be checking your logs!!! 

2007-06-19 12:13 PM

User image

New user

Thanks to all for the encouragement! I am definitely looking for people in my area to train with...but no luck so far. I live in a pretty big town and can't even find an active running club. Hmph!

Anyway, I ordered "The 12-Week Triatlete" from Amazon the other day (before I found this site) so I'm thinking between here and the book I should have no shortage of suggested training schedules.

Chris -- I'll be filling up that log, I swear!

Thanks again.
2007-06-19 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Welcome! I'm new too, but I wanted to share one thing that is silly but really helps keep me on track with workouts and hopefully training (I start my official training plan next week). I keep a calendar, full month view on my desk where I see it constantly. I bought some pretty glittery heart stickers from Michaels. Every day I work out, I put a sticker on that day. So silly I know, but it now upsets me when I see a day without a sticker! Also, to keep me super honest even though I use the training log here, for my official training, I wrote out every day on my calendar. So, every day I see that on June 25th, I'm supposed to go for a 48 minute bikeride and a 24 minute swim. There's no ignoring it when it's right in your face like that. And, when I make appointments I check the calendar to make sure I don't accidentally schedule something when I'm supposed to be training. It works for me. A friend recommended it and I thought it was a crazy idea, but I decided to give it a try. That was 2 years ago - I'm hooked. I can't imagine life without my stickered, written all over calendar now!

2007-06-19 1:34 PM

User image

Master

Kimtastic,

Have you gone to the Forums and started a thread in your State to let people know that you live in such-and-such a town and that you're looking for people to get together with?

Just last week, 9 of us here from BT met for our weekly Open Water Swim (OWS) with a run afterwards.  We have a blast and some of us get together for bike rides and runs.  

We all met  in the "Arizona" section of the forums where someone posted a thread looking for workout partners.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Please don't let me fall off the wagon! Rss Feed