General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Headphone reminder Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-21 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California
Subject: Headphone reminder

Headphones are not allowed during a race.  Please follow this rule.  Just because you don't care about the time penalty, please remember that other races may be telling you they are passing you.

IT IS ALSO USAT A RULE

2004-09-21 4:54 PM
in reply to: #64760

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Headphone reminder
My only tri this season was my first ever--the Danskin Seattle. I saw a number of people running with headphones. I presume this is not a USAT santioned event...or maybe people just did not care about the penalty(?) They also allow the use of floation devices in the swim so my presumption is that many of the USAT rules simply do not apply in this series.

I admit to being annoyed cuz I swear my run time would have been better if I could have had music!
2004-09-21 4:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California
I like to run with music too, but in a race I have had to yell at people all the time to get out of the way.  It causing safety issues.  I have even seen people on bikes using them too.  That is really dangerous
2004-09-21 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California
I like to run with music too, but in a race I have had to yell at people all the time to get out of the way.  It causing safety issues.  I have even seen people on bikes using them too.  That is really dangerous
2004-09-21 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
I'm glad Jason brought this up. I have a neighbor/friend who is a policaman. He volunteered to work the Malibu Tri and got stuck with directing traffic at an intersection on the bike course where they allowed cars to cross. He said he was scared to death people were going to get killed. Even with cops there cars were trying to go through the intersections when they were told not too. He said some just weren't paying attention, and others were just being dicks. If you were riding and a car was cutting across the intersection you wouldn't be able to hear any warning from anyone. You may think you are good enough not to hear instructions but there can be things that happen outside your control. Its not worth it for anyone involved. Leave the headphones at home.

2004-09-21 5:22 PM

User image

Expert
Utah
I NEVER use headphones when I am running or biking outside. Not just safety from being hit by cars, bikes, etc. but I want to know what is going on around me. I don't want a dog (or other creature) sneaking up on me. The cops I know say NEVER wear headphones while running or biking outside, especially if you are female. I do use them when I am running at the rec center's indoor track or stationary bike.

2004-09-21 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
I agree Lifesgreat,
although it would be nice to have tunes on an outdoor run, but it just isn't safe. I leave them at home. The treadmill is a different story altogether though I need something to help pass the time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Headphone reminder Rss Feed