General Discussion Triathlon Talk » serious anxiety about my race... =/ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-20 8:05 PM

Subject: serious anxiety about my race... =/
hey i was wondering if anyone can please give me some advice on my problem.

I have a race coming up in 3 days and i know i should be excited but since i have been feeling down my anxiety is causing me to feel more worried then excited. Im a good swimmer but im seriously afraid of panicking on the swim part of my triathlon and having to drop out. I know this sounds weird but the problem is this, usually when im nervous, in crowded areas, or experiencing something new I this weird thing happens to me where everything around me seems bizarre and unreal. Soemtimes it seems everything is blurry or the lights are to bright. And its like a part of me will say to myself everything is fine ur just walking down the street or soemthing but thats not what it seems. I could have just landed on Mars. And the people seem more like robots or aliens just walking around. The only way i can explain is like if you woke in a coma and had no idea who or where you were at. It feels almsot liek that to me cuz i almost forget where i am. Everythign just seems unreal. This happens to me for about a minute and i start to panick because its scary. When this happened to me before my boyfriend told me my face went white and i had a look of horror on my face. This can happen to me at anytime but usually when im in a large crowd, nervous, or depressed. It now seems to be affecting my daily life.

I trained really hard for this sprint triathlon in 3 days and i really want to do it but im afraid of panicking on the swim and drowing even though i am a good swimmer. This problem makes me think i have some weird form of anxiety. I know i sound crazy but does anyone know what i can do to actually finish this race and feel better? And even if nobody else experiences this what do you do to ease stress on the race day cuz i want anything to help.

thanks,

Edited by triathlonchick20 2007-06-20 8:06 PM

2007-06-20 8:25 PM
in reply to: #853422

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: serious anxiety about my race... =/
I get nervous right before races all the time and start thinking crazy. However, the trick that works for me is to just tell myself that I put in the training, so finishing will be...automatic...I guess. I mean, your previous workouts are hard evidence that your body can do this, while anxiety isn't always rational. Oh well, it works for me so I thought I'd pass it on.

It might also help to show up the day before the race or early on race morning to really familiarize yourself with the course. If it's race day, you can take a look at how many lifeguards are out there and where they are, and then during your swim you can swim near them instead of in the middle of the pack. That way you'll know that should anything go wrong, they can get to you or you can get to them. The pack of swimmers can get crazy even for veterans, so staying on one side of it will also help you to avoid panicking.

Also, remember that it's okay to change your plan if something doesn't work out as expected. In my first tri I really did almost drown (but that's because I didn't train and the water was very rough). I thought about dropping out, but then I realized I could just breast stroke it the rest of the way. It was less than ideal, and I'm pretty sure I was the last one out of the water, but it kept me in the race. So, thinking about contingency plans before the race might make you feel less nervous.

Edited by skavoovie 2007-06-20 8:27 PM
2007-06-21 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
This too shall pass - you'll be fine! I just ran my first Tri in May, and was on some shaky knees myself! I however didn't have the benefit of being a good swimmer like you are. I had my share to worry about too though - love handles over tight shorts - eww! ha!

Unless your racing to win this thing, then the great thing about this sport is that there is nobody else! You're racing yourself. When your head goes underwater, think about your breathing, listen to what your body is telling you. Listen to the water (yes, seriously). Again, unless you're trying to win, other people simply don't matter - enjoy the experience for how it makes you feel.

If you have real phobias (crowds, etc), there's not much I can do for you, but you'll probably find that you love the atmosphere. I couldn't believe how many people were cherring for me, whether it was getting out of the pool, or just people camped out on the bike and run course.

Just try to focus your thoughts inward, and do what you KNOW you can do! Remember, a huge part of this sport is mental - if you have more to overcome than the average Joe, then you're gonna feel just that much better WHEN YOU DO IT! A crowd is a crowd, you blend in with everyone else. Good luck, and let us know how you do.... Now let me hear that battle cry!!! AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
2007-06-25 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
Well? did you do it? What happened? How'd you do?
2007-06-25 1:03 PM
in reply to: #858622

lol well i did the race. i mean i did panick in the swim part and my time was extremely slow because i kept my head out of the water because i kept getting kicked in the face. i couldnt swim as fast with my head out of the water and im used to swimming in a pool where there is no waves and people kicking me. And man the swim looked like more than just 500 yards! but u know i had a blast!! im going to do another one lol. Thanks for ur advice scoli. hows ur triathlon racing been ??
2007-06-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: #859018

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
Awesome! I knew you could do it! I'm running my 2nd on Sept 16th. I'm well in to a 16 week program that I found here on the site, and it's going well. The program started at well below my base level, and I almost picked another one for that reason. I'm glad that I didn't though - all of my paces are improving, and my aching legs are feeling a little better. I'm also getting ready to start a strenth training program as well. It sure feels good to be in good shape for once.

Anyway, keep on it, you'll be running at Kona before you know it!

2007-06-25 5:30 PM

well i always feel the programs are below my base level too and so when i pick a harder program it turns out to hard. I havent followed a program yet but i think thats the reason i am not improving as fast. which program are you doing?

good luck on your second triathlon
2007-06-25 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL

triahlonchick-

it sounds like you are having panic attacks.  I used to get them a lot..it could be in crowds, with jsut a few people around me, when I was uncomfotable in my surroundings.  you pretty muich described the feelings.  Do you also get tingly..almost like pins and needles on your body?  I would check into this..I am not sure how I got over them (I had them from ages 25-31) but it's been about 5 years sicne i ahve had one.  OYu do need ot learn to tlak your self down form them...think of a good place and remember that while it's happening. 

I am so glad your tri went well..with time they will get easier..good luck 

2007-06-25 7:34 PM
in reply to: #859697

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
I'm doing the 16 week 2X sprint. It's 5 days per week, with one two-a-day. Since there's six workouts in a week, you do each (swim/bike/run) twice. There's one short session and one long session. What's really good about it is that each four weeks is a cycle. the first week is a base week, the second and third add 10% to your mileage, and the fourth week is a 25% taper week for you to rest. The next week (month 2, week 5) picks up where week 3 the month before left off and continues on the same cycle from there. It's working great for me so far. If you can't find it let me know and I'll put the link on here.
2007-06-26 9:35 AM

hmm well i dont get the tingly feeling but i wasnt sure where it was a panic attack or not. i mean this feeling causes me to panic so i guess it could be that. im glad you havent had one since a long time. It only has affected my racing in the swim part =/. I hope it gets easier.

anywayz let me know how the race turns out scoli = )
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » serious anxiety about my race... =/ Rss Feed