General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM - Price Vs Quality Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-22 8:34 AM

Subject: HRM - Price Vs Quality
I recently ordered a new helmet from Nashbar and in the box was one of their catalogues with 10% off coupon on it for my first time ordering with them. Was flipping through and saw that they had several HRMs for various prices. Some of them marked down quite a bit, plus I would have another 10% off. I am very very broke right now and so can't afford to spend a ton. But while the opportunity has presented itself to get one very cheaply, I thought I might consider it. I don't really know anything about which brands are better (and I can't remember which brands were in the catalogue), but I guess most people have paid at least $100 (if not more) for theirs? Would it kill me to get one that retails more in the $50-$80 range? Or wouldn't they work as well? I don't need some crazy, tricked out thing. Just to make sure my heart isn't going to explode...

2007-06-22 9:31 AM
in reply to: #855532

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: HRM - Price Vs Quality
I'd stick with polar as that's one of the most popular and most recognized HR monitor brands. You can find many decent polars for under $100 that have many bells and whistles.

I'd go to polarusa, and find a price you are comfortable with, and then read about the features and see if it works for you.

There are many under $100. Plus with your discount, it should bring you well below your budget.

http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/productfinder/productfinder.asp

One thing I'd watch out for is not all polars have a backlight.

Edited by auto208562 2007-06-22 9:32 AM
2007-06-22 9:48 AM

Cool, thanks. I think there were some polars in the catalogue. I'll double check when I get home.
2007-06-22 1:42 PM

User image

, Texas
I'd highly recommend the Polar S150. At $70, it's a steal, even if you don't want/use the bike mount or speed sensor. I had the S120 and loved it which is the same as the S150 without the bike stuff.

It can do all of the important stuff the higher end Polars do (laps with ave/max, 3 zones, configurable display), but doesn't have the gimmicks (VO2Max, calories, etc) and cannot transfer stuff to the computer. The biggest drawback would be the lack of a backlight. I did run some at night and would use the streetlights to keep track with HR.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM - Price Vs Quality Rss Feed