General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shoulder injuries Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-22 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: shoulder injuries
Need some advice from you all. I have an improperly former shoulder - basically the arm bone that goes into the shoulder doesn't have a "cup" to sit in - therfore I dislocate and impinge (can't even raise the arm to drink water let alone swim). The techincal term is "hypoplastic glanoids". I had surgery in 1998 and Lord knows I do not want to experience that again - besides which, there is nothing they can really do to correct the problem other then tighten up the ligments again... which I know within 2 years will be back to impinging and dilocating again. Doctors are eager to operate - I think since my condition is so rare if only to see the inside of my shoulder - but the also they can't really offer much else.

Any one else out there who dislocates or impinges please advise? What do you do to help to solve the problem and pain? Therapy???

2004-09-22 8:09 PM
in reply to: #65377

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Subject: RE: shoulder injuries
Well, I don't have that particular problem, but I have a shoulder that is only too happy to pop out of the socket. Apparently it has been happening since I was a child, but then I could pop it back in myself. Old age had set in, however, and that trick no longer works. I spent most of last spring and summer in physical therapy and it worked wonders. It was hard, painful work, I have to say -and I couldn't swim during that time, which was a royal pain because I like to swim. I'm back to cautious swimming now, but I have to be really, really careful.

The therapy focused on strength building, essentially. There was some electrical stimulation and some massage and some other stuff, but the real focus was strength work for the shoulder area. It's worth a visit to see if it would be helpful for you, I would think.

Andrea
2004-09-22 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Go See Charles Rockwood MD in San Antonio. he is the US father of orthopedics and a world renowned shoulder expert. he literally has written the book. he us at UT SA Bexar County Hospital. If he can't fis it no one can. -S
2004-09-22 10:44 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

GO TO PHYSIOTHERAPY NOW  if you can.  Shoulders in general don't have a good blood supply, they are easily injured and take forever to heal.  If you start swimming without advice from a good therapist, you might end up in agony...swimming encourages rotator cuff imbalances  and impingements in shoulders that don't have difficulties like yours, so I imagine you are at high risk for injury.  I had a mild impingement of my biceps tendon last year that was quickly fixed by exercises prescribed by a physio. Find someone who has experience with shoulders and sports therapy

Good luck!!!

Jen

Edited by keepitup 2004-09-22 10:46 PM
2004-09-23 6:24 AM
in reply to: #65384

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
I googled Dr. Rockwood to see what I could find about him and all I can say is WOW.  If I had shoulder issues I'd be heading to San Antonio to see him in a heartbeat.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shoulder injuries Rss Feed