General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are you exercise addicted? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-24 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: Are you exercise addicted?

I've been reading

American Journal of Health Studies, Spring-Summer 2003 v18 i2-3 p133(5)

The relationship between exercise dependence symptoms and perfectionism. Amy L. Hagan; Heather A. Hausenblas.

And looking at the definitions proposed there ofr exercise dependence one of which is:

exercise dependence, a condition where individuals feel compelled to exercise despite injuries, obligations, or attempts to reduce their activity

I have to wonder sometimes if I fall into this catergory, and if it matters in the long term. I am willing to wager that others here on BT have questions as to whether or not they fall into this catergory as well.

On a side note, I read in some other literature that there is an exception to the definition for "atheletes in season" .This leads to the question of is there an off-season for triathletes. Certainly for some there is, but others regard the period when it's too cold to compete as "base-building"

I just have to wonder what's going on here.

I do know from personal observation that I have, upon occassion, witnessed people who obviously had an eating disorder (most often skeletal young women in extremely baggy clothes) exercising compulsively on machines at the various gyms I have attended over the years. So I don't doubt that such a condition exists

However, it seems to me that many triathletes might meet the surface definition of this condition, but are they pathologically exercise dependent?

and hey, it's Friday again

peas

2004-09-24 8:43 AM
in reply to: #65941

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Subject: RE: Are you exercise addicted?
Well lately, the opposite has been my problem

But typically, I exercise a lot -enough that the people who do this research might wave a red flag, thinking I'm a candidate for this diagnosis. But, first off, these diagnoses are never based on one measure. They are always based on something like "three from the following list of six possible symptoms" and there is always a time measure. Moreover, the intention that motivates the exercise is important. I exercise because I like to, not because I feel like a bad person if I skip a day.

Okay..... sometimes I'm guilty of a little exercise bulimia -really cranking up the exercise to make up for a food indiscretion, but that's atypical and probably the extent of my unhealthy exercise behavior.

Now I'm off to the gym......

Andrea
2004-09-24 9:09 AM

New user

Holland, MI
Definitely NOT addicted to exercise...

While I like to exercise, I never look forward to it and frankly hate to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to make it to the gym before work. I hate watching the TV stations on at the gym, I hate most of the people who are also there when I am, don't like mirrors everywhere...

LoL...

I sound like a nag! Oh well, this might well all change once I see more results from the workouts and participate in my first tri, but for now I do it because I don't want to look like I currently do... :-O
2004-09-24 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
No matter what our pursuits, we must learn to balance them with what is truly important in life. To twist a well-known maxim, "I've never seen a trophy cry at a funeral."
2004-09-24 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

They say exercise dependence like it's a bad thing!  How about from this perspective: if I don't exercise (walk, dance, run, hike, whatever) I feel more stressed, more fatigued, I tend to eat more, which makes me more stressed.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  We all know the health risks of not exercising and eating anything and everything, right?  So if I can 'workout' some stress by riding my bike (even the commute to and from work helps me), I'm much happier.  So maybe I do arrange obligations around my workout schedule (or make the obligation into my workout - bike to church and back instead of driving). 

And as for the off-season: I don't think there's any such thing.  There's a racing season, and preparatory seasons - but to improve ourselves, our times, or advance to the next level, we're not really off (although some people think we're a little off for even DOING triathlons!)

I have to wonder if the literature you're reading is subliminally trying to brainwash us into becoming couch-potatoes!  I find it very ironic that the media is screaming OBESITY EPIDEMIC!, everything is low-carb/no-carb Atkins BS - and here's a journal suggesting that maybe some people push the exercise a bit too far. 

2004-09-24 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
All I know is anytime I've taken a day or more to just hang out around the house etc. I start getting cabin fever. This may not seem significant but considering all I did was lounge around the house for almost two years and never had a problem before its a big change for me. I dont know that Im addicted to exercise but I am definitley addicted to the fresh air.

2004-09-24 9:42 AM

Regular
If I sit around all day I get cranky. Usually if I don't get some sort of exercise by the late afternoon I am bouncing around with a lot of nervous energy. Am I addicted? It wouldn't shock me, but I figure its better than being addicted to TV and couches.
2004-09-24 9:47 AM

Regular
Not addicted ... I don't think.

I get a very strong desire to go out and improve on my previous performance.
Like last night I did a check on my 10km running time. My 1st thought on finishing was 'I can do better than that' and straight away was planning when I could do another 10km and what training to do before then.
I'm motivated only by the desire to improve
2004-09-24 9:49 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: I'm not an addict

I think there are some key parts to the definition that people are overlooking.  To wit: "despite injuries, obligations, or attempts to reduce their activity."

I feel like I have to exercise to remain sane.  That being said, I would not (1) continue running with a sprained ankle; (2) skip an important family event in order to maintain my routine; or (3) exercise at the same level during a recovery week. 

I remember reading about a teenager who actually was addicted to exercise.  She (1) tracked everything she ate and made sure that she exercised enough to eliminate the calories, (2) continued exercising at a level that she knew was unhealthy for her, (3) continued lowering her target weight/size as she acheived it and (4) skipped her own brother's wedding so that she would not miss a workout.

This does matter in the long run because, like any other addiction, it causes that addict to engage in unhealthy behavior and withdraw from those who care about them.  Just keep in mind that there is a line between commitment and dependence.  I think that line is crossed when people quit exercising for their health and happiness and start exercising in spite of their health and happiness.

Edited by Whit 2004-09-24 9:50 AM
2004-09-24 9:52 AM

User image

Elite

I think exercise is habit-forming.  When I run every day at the same time, I begin to develop an "urge to run" sensation that precedes the normal schedule by about 30 minutes.  This is basically a good thing and helps keep a good habit going.  And, the feeling is probably both physiological and psychological. (I don't think there is a big difference.  The brain is an organ too)  Hence, the fact that this urge exists suggests that it can be overstimulated and can become a problem, which could be called an addiction.   And, I have seen runners who pushed themselves to run every day despite injuries and wound up permanently wounded as a result.  These are the 55-60 year old guys that I know that now have artifical knees and hips.

Moderation in all things.

TW

PS Ride:  Did you grow up in Lynchburg, VA.

Edited by tech_geezer 2004-09-24 9:53 AM
2004-09-24 10:06 AM

Veteran
I will not let my wife see this thread because she is constantly telling me to take days off and asking me what I will do this winter. she claims I am an addict. Am I an addict? Maybe.... But it seems that the definition shown here explains any activity that one places as a high priority. My workouts are something that is going to happen...period! same as going to work is something that is going to happen. Sleep, going to happen. Meals, you get the point. For some people, a given TV show takes the same priority, they are not going to miss it no matter what. I submit that training must take that high of place in you priority structure or it will not happen. It's just not as easy as sleep, meals or TV shows.

One person's addiction is another's dedication.

2004-09-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: #65976

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: I'm not an addict
Whit - 2004-09-24 7:49 AM I think there are some key parts to the definition that people are overlooking.  To wit: "despite injuries, obligations, or attempts to reduce their activity."

This does matter in the long run because, like any other addiction, it causes that addict to engage in unhealthy behavior and withdraw from those who care about them.  Just keep in mind that there is a line between commitment and dependence.  I think that line is crossed when people quit exercising for their health and happiness and start exercising in spite of their health and happiness.

I wouldn't run on a sprained ankle, nor would I ski on a sprained knee, but I would run out a calf-cramp, or bike with a sore hamstring.  I could find other ways to exercise, to balance an injury.  I just find it odd that while some medicos are screaming we're too fat and lazy (society in general), others are saying we're overdoing it.  Granted, I've also known people that go train like crazy, and wonder why they're suffering from a recurring injury.  I don't necessarily think they're addicted to exercise, but I sometimes feel they aren't exercising very intelligently.  And I admit to feeling like I'm cheating myself, if I take a day or two off, but I'll typically fill those days with hiking, chores like rearranging furniture, or something else that keeps me active.  I'm more worried about being in my 60s, inactive, and suffering a general decline in health.  I want to still be dancing, skiing, and running well into my 70s and 80s...

Also, I wouldn't skip my brother's wedding just to workout (if I had a brother), but there are days when I'd GLADLY ditch work to swim all day.

2004-09-24 10:16 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
nope. i AM addicted to being outside, however. if i go for about a month or so without getting into the woods, i start to climb the walls. running at a local park has helped this a bit, but i can't WAIT to get out trail running this weekend while we are camping. getting out for at least a daily walk is so much a part of my life, that i can't imagine life otherwise - but i don't put aside my other obligations, i just take them with me!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are you exercise addicted? Rss Feed