General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlos O' Brien's Lake Pleasant Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carlos O' Brien's Lake Pleasant Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Glendale, AZ
United States
Tri-Family Racing
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 11m 49s
Overall Rank = 87/113
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/23
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race consisted of driving from my sister's place in Glendale to Lake Pleasant through torrential monsoon conditions and thunder and lightning. I had a protein and water shake and a banana for breakfast and slept uncomfortably on the couch the night before. I got to sleep by 10 and slept fine until 1, when I started waking up about every half hour.
Event warmup:

Warm-up consisted of setting up my transition spot and maybe one or two trusty quad stretches. I was looking at this race more as a workout and tune-up for the SOMA 1/2 Ironman than as a serious race.
Swim
  • 38m 44s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a bad swim, this was my third ever open water and second time in my wetsuit. I had a little trepidation because I got a little freaked out on my second open water swim. No problems this time, felt like I had pretty good control, did some bilateral breathing. It was a little warm but I just pulled out my collar every 400 yds or so and let the suit flush with fresh, cool water.
What would you do differently?:

I would have pressed the little start button on my stopwatch, that would be helpful. I had a pretty decent swim, but I did hold back a little and could have stretched out my stroke more.
Transition 1
  • 05m 40s
Comments:

As I was using this race as more of a workout, I opted not to run up the freaking giant boat ramp! So by the time I got to the transition area I was pretty well recovered. I have a new DeSoto shirt with a zipper which was easier to get on than the Zoot tank that I've been using previously. Decent transition in spite of my loafing. The wet weather conditions made it a little tricky initially getting locked into my pedals, the cleats kept slipping.

Don't lollygag!
Bike
  • 1h 33m 4s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 15.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I spent most of the race with roughly the same group of riders, passing a few and getting passed by a few, too. I'm not real strong on hills but managed ok on this course.

Train-up for hills
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. Low impact
Run
  • 50m 55s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run, again major freakin' hills. I took it easy the first 1/2 lap just getting acclimated then tried to stay steady on the uphills and work a quicker turnover on the downhills. Seemed to work ok and the weather was really excellent.

Um, run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, chatted with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was not in a race mindset.

Event comments:

Pretty good race, I'm not sure why the packet pickup was across town! Not USAT, and there were some idiosyncracies, like swim caps issued raceday instead of in packet. Overall I thought they did a pretty good job though, I had a good time. The results weren't posted until Thursday which is fine but they were a little confusing, I assume they calc'd tranisition times into the leg times because I had a mismatch between my bike computer and watch time and the time they had as well as with the run time. I adjusted my results in this report based on that.

Last updated: 2004-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:44 | 1500 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/113
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterrra Ventilator
Course: Down the boat ramp into the water, swing a right at the yellow buoy and then 2 laps around the green buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:33:04 | 24.8 miles | 15.99 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Jeez, that was a hilly course! I started out pretty quick and got up to 20 mph out the gate then BOOM! a giant hill! I didn't know the course so I held back on the first leg out to kind of just familiarize. There were 4 significant hills over the 6 miles out, then a turnaround and backtrack. The course was 2 laps and you had to get off the bike and walk through the trasition area between laps which was kind of wierd.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:55 | 05 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course, 2 laps. Up a major hill, down the hill, up another hill and turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-24 2:14 PM

New user

Tucson, AZ
Subject: Carlos O' Brien's Lake Pleasant Triathlon

2004-09-24 4:41 PM
in reply to: #66170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Carlos O' Brien's Lake Pleasant Triathlon
Congrats on the finish and making it up all those hill!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlos O' Brien's Lake Pleasant Triathlon Rss Feed