General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon... I little worried about finishing last Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-29 11:07 AM
in reply to: #864185

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: First Triathlon... I little worried about finishing last

I finished last in my first Oly distance (really a 1/4 IM so same bike/run w/shorter swim). Man it was tough for me to finish...to date hardest thing I've done. I was last out of the water, didn't see a soul on the bike, and was last the whole run.

It was super motivation to train smart on the off season and improve. The next year I was an hour faster, this year 22 minutes faster.

Starting out slow has advantages in that you make huge progress.

From your times I very much doubt you'll be last.  

2007-06-29 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

Don't worry about coming in last....no one will be standing at the finish line to notice, haha (j/k).

I should know considering I came in third to last of the people who actually finished. 

You'll probably pleasantly surprised at how well you'll do at the race.  Your adrenaline will be pumping and the atmosphere with all the racers will help boost your energy.

Have you looked at past results of the race to see who the slowest finishers were?  That'll give you an idea of what the course will hold for you in terms of competition. 

2007-06-29 8:15 PM
in reply to: #865086

User image

Arlington, VA
newbie101 - 2007-06-28 4:32 PM

Sadly, the bike I will be using is a friends bike. I have a moutain bike which I train on (which is slower and a lot heavier). unfortunately I do not have the money to shell out for a new (or even used) bike. My friends bike is a pretty decent bike that he has used for his tri's. I will be riding it a couple of times before the race, but not many.

On the plus side, living in the suburbs of Greater Vancouver, BC means that there is no such thing as a flat ride. Tons of hills mostly at steep grades.

Don't worry about the type of bike. I'm only 4 weeks into training and my first tri is a few weeks off. I was on a stationary bike for a while and folks kept telling me to get off of it and get on a real bike. I didn't have the money for a fancy bike so I purchased a $59 mountain bike at Walmart. I'm surprised at how much harder the real thing is compared to the stationary. I think its better to train on the mountain bike - despite its drawbacks and get the experiance of being on a real bike.....it will be easier if you transition from a mountain bike to whatever you're borrowing than from a stationary to the borrowed bike.

dwiggin3
2007-06-29 8:34 PM
in reply to: #864213

Regular
Austin, Texas

I completed my first Tri less than a week ago and I also worried about finishing last. I didn't but and in the end I was just proud to have finished at all. As I was running towards the finish line I saw the person who finished last riding the last straight away towards T2, with the crowds cheering for him and all the runners around me doing the same. He was followed by the 2 "sweep" cop cars with their lights blinking and I wa so happy for him that he had not given up.

By the end of the Tri I realized my priorites had shifted quite a bit and I would like to add to the following.

I like to think of it as a first things first kinda deal:

DND (did not drown) > DNC (did not crash) > DNP (did not puke on the run) >

THEN.........

Daremo - 2007-06-28 9:59 AM

• The old adage is DFL > DNF > DNS. That is Dead Frickin' Last beats Did Not Finish beats Did Not Start.

• 2007-06-29 10:29 PM
    in reply to: #866836

Elite
    UTFan - 2007-06-29 7:34 PM I completed my first Tri less than a week ago and I also worried about finishing last. I didn't but and in the end I was just proud to have finished at all. As I was running towards the finish line I saw the person who finished last riding the last straight away towards T2, with the crowds cheering for him and all the runners around me doing the same. He was followed by the 2 "sweep" cop cars with their lights blinking and I wa so happy for him that he had not given up. By the end of the Tri I realized my priorites had shifted quite a bit and I would like to add to the following. I like to think of it as a first things first kinda deal: DND (did not drown) > DNC (did not crash) > DNP (did not puke on the run) > THEN.........
    Daremo - 2007-06-28 9:59 AM .

The old adage is DFL > DNF > DNS. That is Dead Frickin' Last beats Did Not Finish beats Did Not Start.

Nothing wrong with puking

2007-06-29 11:40 PM
    in reply to: #866902

User image

Veteran
    ScottoNM - 2007-06-29 10:29 PM

UTFan - 2007-06-29 7:34 PM I completed my first Tri less than a week ago and I also worried about finishing last. I didn't but and in the end I was just proud to have finished at all. As I was running towards the finish line I saw the person who finished last riding the last straight away towards T2, with the crowds cheering for him and all the runners around me doing the same. He was followed by the 2 "sweep" cop cars with their lights blinking and I wa so happy for him that he had not given up. By the end of the Tri I realized my priorites had shifted quite a bit and I would like to add to the following. I like to think of it as a first things first kinda deal: DND (did not drown) > DNC (did not crash) > DNP (did not puke on the run) > THEN.........
    Daremo - 2007-06-28 9:59 AM .

The old adage is DFL > DNF > DNS. That is Dead Frickin' Last beats Did Not Finish beats Did Not Start.

Nothing wrong with puking

If I don't puke I didn't run hard enough.. muwhaha.

2007-06-29 11:57 PM

User image

Veteran
    North Bend, WA

I found on my first tri I was almost last on the swim...let me tell ya ~ it is VERY easy to find your bike!   The goal is to have fun not care about being LAST.....

I did my first oly on June 10 and was 3 from last....but I was smiling at the finish line and ready to do it again.....

It's all in WHAT YOU want to get out of it....remember it's supposed to be FUN!

~Ann

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon... I little worried about finishing last Rss Feed  

of 2