Other Resources My Cup of Joe » PhoenixAzul: Masters Swim Coach. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-29 8:16 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: PhoenixAzul: Masters Swim Coach.
So I'm sort of fufilling a childhood dream. I'm going to become a swim coach. While I love teaching swim lessons and all that, it is competition that I really love and miss a lot. A couple of weeks ago, I got hired back at the YMCA in Pittsburgh that I've worked at since I was in high school. The new director asked me if I wanted to coach a masters swim team.

Heck yeah I do!

I'm really pumped, and a bit nervous. I'm going to be younger than every single one of my swimmers. I'm hoping that they'll respect me, or at least ask for my advice, or at least enjoy the workouts I've got planned. There's also a bunch of triathletes of all levels joining, so I'm really excited to work with them and iron out their stroke quirks. They're not going to be ready for meets this summer (unless they want to go on their own), but next year they'll mos. def. be ready. I'm also trying to organize a non-competitive, friendly, supported open-water swim. I know there's a bunch of people who need to do it before they race, but don't have the support to do it in a way that's safe. I thought maybe I could contact the other masters clubs in the area and see if we can pool resources and take a bunch of people up to Lake Arthur for a day and have them go at it. I'm also going to start a blog on wordpress and get links to USMS and active.com and all the other swim links they could possibly need. I'm also going to put up a "weekly word" on form or whatever, and post workout sheets, in case someone goes out of town or misses a workout.

hehe!

So you other masters, what would you like a coach to do for you? would you respect a coach significantly younger than you? What would they have to do to earn that respect?

2007-06-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: #865634

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: RE: PhoenixAzul: Masters Swim Coach.

In the Master's that I used to attend the swim coach was in her early 20's.

She really earned everyone's respect because she knows what she's talking about as far as technique.  She swam with us a few nights...we had 2 coaches...and wow,  can she swim.

The only problem was she is not a triathlete, so she didn't understand when the season became close most of us wanted to do longer stuff... no more sprints.

She is now getting ready to do her first tri this summer.

You will be just fine and good luck!

2007-06-29 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Really cool!  Which Y?
2007-06-29 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
Congrats, you'll do well as a coach.
2007-06-29 2:37 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I like a lot of correction, but don't be surprised if most people don't. I can't believe all the people in my club who take it personally when they get corrected. They say something like, "Oh I usually do that, but my calf hurts, or whatever." The corrections are what I am there for, but some people are just there to swim and don't really care about improving. I can respect that I guess, it's just the childish responses that get me. Anyway, moving on.

It's always fun to do some relays maybe for the last 10 minutes of practice as it gives you practice going off the blocks and meet teammates from lanes that you don't usually get to socialize with.

I wouldn't worry about your age. I'm sure you'll be fine. I've had some coaches in their early 20s. You only have to be 18 to join the masters club here, so there's been lots of younger swimmers as well.

Have fun.

2007-06-29 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Oooh, I thought of something else I like. Total up the distance for the workout and write in on the board. I just like that.

2007-06-29 6:35 PM
in reply to: #866395

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
jeng - 2007-06-29 3:38 PM

Oooh, I thought of something else I like. Total up the distance for the workout and write in on the board. I just like that.

wayyyyy ahead of you . i had my director go and steal our dry erase board away from the fitness floor (it was ours to begin with, we just haven't had use for it yet).

I'm at the downtown Y here in pittsburgh
2007-06-29 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Cool to see you're excited about what you'll be doing - this is great!

From your description, though, it sounds like you're going to tell them everything they need to know, everything you want to do, etc., etc.  While *EVERYTHING* you want to do or say might be valid, allow some dialog to develop.  IOW, give the recipients of your fountain of enthusiasm/knowledge the opportunity to tell you what they would like help with?  Ask them "What do you think about" questions related to what you described in your OP.  What we think relative to what your group thinks might be completely different.  Don't try to anticipate their every need - you'll come to know this through the process of simple discourse.  Try to find out where people "are" and meet them there; learn about their hopes/dreams/desires and help bring them there.

To my point, we had a young fellow speak at our last tri club meeting who is very knowledgeable about the subject of orthotics.  He came to speak about how proper orthotics can make or break a person with regards to their athletic endeavors, especially if they're dealing with injuries and the like.  Instead of sharing with us his background and a bit of the work he did and then *engaging* the group in a discussion, he just continued to drone on and on...he pretty much lost everybody (oh, we didn't just get up and leave) and I seriously doubt he'll get too much in the way of further inquiries because he turned everybody off...

All the best in this endeavor and kudos to you for taking it on and for your great attitude!!

Edited by LHablas 2007-06-29 8:42 PM
2007-06-30 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
all i can say is those swimmers are lucky to have you! enjoy!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » PhoenixAzul: Masters Swim Coach. Rss Feed