General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DFL.........or maybe not?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-25 8:12 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: DFL.........or maybe not??

Yup, today I came as close to being DFL as I ever have, but it was not my fault!  With less than 3 miles left on a 27 mile ride, my chain broke.  I heard something snap and then dropped the chain.  I saw the broken link when I tried to get it back on the chainring.  Grrrrrrrr.  When the link hit the road I wasn't sure if something had come off my bike or if I had just hit something on the road.  So I walked back looking for it, what for I have no idea.  I took off my helmet and shoes and started walking back.  Everyone riding by asked if I was ok.  Tri peeps are the best!

Eventually an official race vehicle came upon me and Yea!!!  it was the guy from the local bike shop.  I told him I  needed a ride and he said he could get me back on the bike if I wanted.  Hell ya, I've been working so hard on my run it would be a crime not to run today.  It's not like my chance to win the race had just disappeared 

As he fixed my chain he saw that my front deraileur was bent to sh*t, and had come loose on the frame.  Good thing it was less than 3 miles to go, because I barely made it back to the transition area.  But I did and off on the run I went.  Everyone was on their way back in on the out and back course, except for me and 3 or 4 other people.  And they still could have beaten me depending on which wave they started in.  Lots of encouragement and some high five's along the way, but the best was seeing my family along with May (TypeA) waiting for me at the finish. 

As I was running I had wondered who would be more disappointed if I had not finished the race, my husband, son, or me.  I'm still not sure of the answer to that question, but it does not matter.  I may have been DFL but I was definately not DNF!

2004-09-25 8:25 PM
in reply to: #66531

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: DFL.........or maybe not??
Good for you! Sometimes you can't help fate, but it looks like you did ok. Did YOU do the best that YOU could do (ignoring all unforseen gear problems of course)? Of course you did!

-Frank
2004-09-25 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I'm new here so cut me a little slack, but as I read your post I was thinking "What the hell is DFL?  I know what DNF is.  But what's DFL?"  Then it hit me - Dead F*%&$ Last.  Is that correct?

A broken chain would be a bummer.  It's not like I carry a chain tool on my bike.  I've never had a chain break.  Good thing the LBS mechanic was close by.

TJ

2004-09-25 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Hey, nice job on finishing. Same thing happened to me earlier this year - I was DFL, but I finished under my own power (I chose to run with the bike).

Hopefully you will make a bee-line to you LBS, and buy the best chain you can find!!!!

Talk with you later,

Dennis
2004-09-25 8:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-25 10:45 PM

Central Louisiana
Great job of hanging in there and finishing!   I remember the first big triathlon that I entered and there is a guy, who had had a flat and he was pushing his bike about 3 miles from the finish line.  Even though he pushed his  bike the last 3 miles, he made his way out on the run and finished the triathlon.  People who go through these adversities show what they're made of.

2004-09-25 10:51 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario

Glad you finished....what rotten luck!!!

Somehow I thought you were finished racing this season (I am rapidly losing my memory these days)....hmmmm....maybe your bike thought that too!

2004-09-26 7:46 AM

Online or Offline
.........and thank god she had worn off alot of that angry energy doing a 1500m swim, 44K bike, and 10K run!!

I couldn't imagine how much energy she could have spent verbally trashing that chain and derailleur had she not just done a tri!

Ellen looked damn good crossing the finish line! I could tell she was happy and had fun still....And even after the elapsed time for an official car to come upon her, fix the bike and get her on the way, she still didn't turn out the DFL bike time!! Nor DFL overall time -- far from it!Aside from that delay, she still had to go retrieve her helmet she threw into the bushes!! LOL LOL!! I luv you Ellen!

...and Jen (keepitup), you were right. This woman won't stop! If Ellen can find a race, she'll do it! She added this one last minute!

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2004-09-26 7:51 AM
2004-09-26 8:51 AM

Resident Matriarch

thanks for the kind words all.  Yes, yesterday was definately a test of some sort, but hey, I was there to have fun and a broken chain was not going to stop me.  Michael, you'll be happy to know that I had taken off my shoes because I thought it would be easier to walk/run with the bike without those big clunky cleats on my feet.  Thank goodness I hadn't gotten far when Brian the mechanic came upon me.

Jen, you were right, my season WAS over but when May told me she was doing this race I jumped on the cahnce to race with her again.  May, you are such a great bundle of positive energy, I thoroughly enjoyed your company yesterday.  Folks, even tho she finished waaaay ahead of me, May (TypeA) waited for me at the finish line so we could have lunch together    You'd never know it was her first season racing, she's sooooo speedy!!

Anyhow, got to get my baby to the LBS sometime today, I hope the head guy is there and I hope the warrantee covers some of this.

2004-09-26 8:53 AM
in reply to: #66537

Resident Matriarch
I remembered someone posting about having a broken chain and now carrying a link and tools, but I couldn't remember who it was.  I knew you'd feel my pain LOL
2004-09-26 9:39 AM

Expert
New Port Richey

Ellen,

You the (wo)man!!!!!!!!

Way to overcome the adversity and finish.

Kevin

2004-09-26 9:40 AM

Master
Kingston Ontario
ELLEN, YOU'RE MY HERO!!!! 
2004-09-26 11:24 AM

Online or Offline
Ha ha ha ha.......who you calling speedy? Finishing waaay ahead of you is incorrect, I just didn't have trouble with my bike, consequently crossed the finish line first. Thank you though, I spent alot of time and energy training, and for one person to take notice and say something nice was definitely worth it, especially from a fellow triathlete.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DFL.........or maybe not?? Rss Feed