General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Need a bike in NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-01 9:27 AM

Fayetteville, NC
Subject: I Need a bike in NC
I am looking for a used bike that is in good shape. I am just getting started into doing Tri's and found out the hard way that MTN bikes are not very good for doing them. I am in the Fayetteville area and will travel to pick up. I am looking for a road bike or a Tri bike. I went to Hawley's and was fitted and I can use from a 56cm to a 58cm. I also dont want to spend a fortune since I am just starting out and I am sure once I get into and know more what to look for I will get a new one. I am wanting to do the Triangle Tri this coming weekend and need something soon. HELP????

2007-07-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: #867649

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: I Need a bike in NC

Scroll down and check Chris Hughes' post, I believe he came down on the price some the last I checked on Craigs List. I was really tempeted myself, but I just can't spend that much now. My hybrid will only make me stronger (and more comfortable).

Edit: Okay, you saw that already.

Edited by DMarkSwan 2007-07-01 12:39 PM
2007-07-01 3:52 PM

Fayetteville, NC
Yep, but thanks for answering. I havent given up hope yet. I am sure there is someone out there someplace who is wanting to get rid of a bike.
2007-07-02 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Did Hawley's not have anything?  I bought my entry level road bike from them for about $500.  I am sure I will want to upgrade at some point, but have been very happy with the bike for the last year and a half.
2007-07-02 7:46 PM

Fayetteville, NC
I think that is where I will end up going to get one. They were extremely helpful when I went in asking questions and I probably would have test road something but the weather wasnt cooperating with me at that time.
May I ask what kind you got? Did they throw anything in with the deal such as some clip on aero bars or something?
2007-07-03 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC

I bought the Raleigh Sport.   They didn't throw in anything extra (but I didn't ask either).  They fit me and set up my bike the day I bought it.  I didn't have to go back for it, I left with it that day.  Then they do 30 day and 90 day tuneups to make sure everything feels right and is working right.  But if you had any problems, you can bring it in anytime.  I had a couple of little issues the first couple of weeks I owned it and they fixed them while I waited (so I didn't even miss a workout).   They are extremely nice people.

Oh, if you didn't know, Fayetteville has a tri-club called FATS (Fayetteville Area Triathlon Society).  We don't have a lot of active members right now (most are military and are in Iraq).  But FATS members get 10% off at Hawleys.

2007-07-03 1:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Check Craigslist as well, you might be able to get something from there.
2007-07-04 9:40 AM

Fayetteville, NC
I am off the market now for a bike. I decided to just go buy a new one yesterday. I figured since I was new to the sport and new to riding in general, I wouldn't spend alot of money on a bike until I get more experience and a little more knowledge on the sport. Then after a while and I figure out what I want exactly....then I can throw some bucks out there. Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Need a bike in NC Rss Feed