General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ideas to Improve Kick in Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-21 2:56 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: Ideas to Improve Kick in Swimming
My swimming is kind of depressing me. While my arm technique seems to be getting better, my feet and legs just kind of wiggle - I just don't seem to be able to develop and maintain a steady kick. When I get on a kickboard, it takes me forever to get across a 25 yd pool.

Any suggestions on what kind of drills would improve my kick?

T

2004-01-21 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4527

User image

Regular
Seattle
Subject: RE: Ideas to Improve Kick in Swimming
Hey, T, here's a secret - the kick isn't all that important. At least, not according to Total Immersion (book by Terry MacLaughlin). This is particularly the case when you're wearing a wetsuit, which helps you float on the surface of the water - if your kick is not speeding you up, then it's just slowing you down (by creating excess drag). Plus, the less you kick, the more you save your legs for the bike/run (hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). For wetsuit swimming, you can learn to just let your legs flow along with the water.

Or, at least, that's what I remember from reading TI a year ago.

Keep in mind, this is advice from a not-so-good swimmer. True, I've finished an Ironman, but I was in the bottom third in coming out of the water. Then again, busting as fast as I can would maybe save me 10 minutes - in a 14-17 hour race. Instead, I came out of the water feeling fresh as a bird (and then promptly messed up my nutrition, but that's another story!).

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure good swimmers can benefit from working on their kick. Your legs are much stronger than your arms, and therefore offer more propulsion. But is that the best way to use your legs in a triathlon?

MacLaughlin, talks about "fish-like" swimming - using your hips and body roll as the primary means of propulsion. Gliding through the water, swimming "downhill". We were all taught to kick as kids, because that helps keep your legs up, but you can do the same by concentrating on pushing your chest down.

So, to sum up, what is your goal from kicking drills? Are you doing it because that's what you're "supposed" to do? or are you doing sprints, and trying to gain every possible minute?

Do you have a swim coach? (I don't) What about a local Masters swim group? They're always willing to help. Also, check out Total Immersion - http://www.totalimmersion.net/

Good luck!
-Rich
2004-01-21 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
toboepple,

The kick is only about 10% of your overall propulsion in the water, however, it is important to have at least an adequate kick. A few suggestions:

1. Vertical Kicking- Get into water deep enough so that your feet don't touch the bottom. Let go of the wall, cross your arms, and kick flutter kick in place. Do this drill as much as possible. Start with 15 seconds on, 15 seconds off, and increase the "on" time as you get better at it.

2. Use Zoomers or Hydrofinz. Both of these fins force you to kick in the proper way, and actually help to increase ankle flexibility slightly.

3. Also, on the zoomers.net site, they offer this stretching device for your ankles. This may be VERY helpful if you are one of those runners that has inflexible ankles to the point where it ruins your kick.

These 3 things have all helped various swimmers of mine.
Good luck and don't worry too much about it!

Cheers,
Kevin
www.triswimcoach.com
2004-01-21 8:00 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
thanks for the input guys. I've never really learned to swim properly - I took my first swim lessons this past fall, so swimming is definitely my weakest point. I'd really just like to be able to get in the pool and swim for an hour or so without feeling like I'm close to death.

The arm motion is okay for me now, but the kick just bothers me that it almost seems to detract from my swimming. Kevin, I have picked up good info from your website - thanks.

T
2004-01-22 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4536

User image

Regular
Seattle
Well, Kevin clearly knows more than I do about swimming! I did not mean to imply that kicking is bad, only that the lack of a good kick is no reason to panic. If you can get a decent kick, go for it.
Good luck!
2004-01-22 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4630

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
No worries Westfried!
I think any feedback based on personal experience is good on this forum.

I just throw in my 2 cents when I see a topic I know something about....

Cheers,
Kevin
www.triswimcoach.com

2013-01-25 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Here is some thing I posted on ST recently: Learning to kick properly is important. Most triathletes cant kick for and claim it doesnt matter. Ankle flexibility is a key factor in swimming with a good body position.I will post some twitter links ...

Edited by simpsonbo 2013-01-25 11:56 AM
2013-01-25 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
A nine year old zombie thread!!
2013-01-25 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran

I second the zoomers! We used those in high school - a great tool!

Make sure your legs are mostly straight with only a slight bend in the knee and your feet are pointed and your ankles are not flexed.

2013-01-25 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4594595

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2013-01-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4594613

User image

Veteran
Great White North