General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need fun swim games/relays for group workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-07 11:55 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Need fun swim games/relays for group workout

Our tri club is doing a "fun" swim day tomorrow, and I'm looking for ideas on fun swim games, relays, and drills we could do. I have a few from last year, but wanted to see if any BTers had ideas on new games we could try.

We will be at a public pool and will only have access to our usual few swim lanes, so games that can be done in lanes would be good.

Some ideas I've got so far:

• Team relay where one person swims in front, and the other behind holding their ankles, then the teams switch.
  • Relay where each person on a team has to get a kick board, pull buoy, and basketball across the pool.
  • Boxer shorts relay where one swims across in a pair of XL boxer shorts, and has to hand off to their team member.
  • Cannonball contest at the end.

Thanks!

2007-07-07 2:18 PM
in reply to: #875608

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Need fun swim games/relays for group workout

Sounds fun!

If you have access to noodles (those styrofoam long (5 ft) floatie things) - charriot races! The person in the back 'harnesses' the front person by looping the noodle around the front person. Front person puts noodle under arms. Back person holds on to ends of noodle. Front person is the arms and the back person is the legs - swim stroke style optional but breast arms with free feet seems to be best.

Another with noodles is to sit on them in center and let sides up along side of body. (like being on a swing) Then go across pool front way--hard on the hamstrings!

And another option without using any props - stroke mix ups. Freestyle arms, breast stroke feet etc...

2007-07-07 3:08 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Candle race:  Swim the length of the pool without extinguishing a lit candle.  Can do it as a relay too. 

Egg/Ping-Pong race:  Place an egg or (harder) ping-pong on the bowl of a spoon.  Hold the handle of the spoon in your mouth and swim a length. 

2007-07-07 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Wet T-Shirt Relay: Give each relay team a large t-shirt. Swim across the pool with the t-shirt on. Take it off and hand it over to the next swimmer to put on. So on and so forth.
2007-07-07 3:55 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

These are fantastic ideas! Thanks! I'll hit the store and get some of those foam noodle things.

Though we're using a university pool, so I don't think they'd be too keen on us bringing flaming items into the area.

2007-07-07 4:58 PM

User image

Line em all up accdg to speed (fastest first).  Start TT in one lane, 5 second intervals, down, back, then under the lane line to the next lane.   Drill goes until the fastest person catches the slowest person.

It's kinda painful if done right

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need fun swim games/relays for group workout Rss Feed