General Discussion Race Reports! » Namolokama 1st annual open water swim at Hanalei Pier Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Namolokama 1st annual open water swim at Hanalei Pier - Swim1 mile Cable

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hanalei, Hawaii
United States
Namolokama O Hanalei Canoe Club
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 22s
Overall Rank = 12/36
Age Group = 30-39F
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Registered at 7a. Went to the bakery, soy mocha blended and half a spelt bagel with butter. Coconut water, water. There was a traditional Hawaiian blessing, with blowing of the conche, chants and prayers. I accepted the blessing.
Event warmup:

Parked a quarter mile from event. Walked the beach and checked out the lay of the course and the tides. Very beautiful, calm day.
Swim
  • 30m 22s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

A beautiful, beautiful day at the bay. The water was crystal clear and calm. The mass start had so many bodies and so many bubbles. I felt great because the canoe club sponsored the race, and they were there, watchful and protective along the course. I made it to the half mile buoy at about 16 min. Early on I found a guy swimming at the pace I wanted, and drafted intermittently off him. His sighting was excellent. But then lost him, and got pushed out a bit by the current. As I was making my way in to the finish, up popped my swim partner who dolphined in and beat me by a second. Roy is a life guard, so I don't feel too bad about his beating me at the end.
What would you do differently?:

1. Learn to dolphin in and out of the water
2. Sight more, especially when I realize I'm off course.
3. Train more. I only swam with the masters 3 times before this race. Roy is going down next year.
Post race
Warm down:

I was rather surprised by my urge to vomit and faint. I sat down, had some Capri Sun, and felt much, much better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more training. Endurance baby.

Event comments:

Really a wonderful experience. The bay is just gorgeous. And it was great to see friends and neighbors out for the event. I met new people and had a blast. We should take advantage of the natural wonders of the island. I think the event had little environmental impact, and I think everyone had fun.

Last updated: 2007-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:22 | 1650 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 12/36
Performance: Good
Suit: Work out suit.
Course: Around the pier, past the buoys, and turn at the half mile bouy, and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 4:08 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Namolokama 1st annual open water swim at Hanalei Pier

2007-07-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #876048

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Namolokama 1st annual open water swim at Hanalei Pier
It was nice to meet you too! What a beautiful morning, swim, great event! Can't wait for next years, hopefully it was lucrative for them. You will do great on your first tri!
2007-07-09 2:37 PM

User image

Expert

Sounds like a wonderful experience. All the OWS that I do the water is black. It would be awfully nice to swim in crystal clear water. Great job and Roy better watch out!

2007-07-10 5:32 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Congrats on a great and you seemed to have fun, so a great day

You will take Roy next time

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Namolokama 1st annual open water swim at Hanalei Pier Rss Feed