General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New York City Triathlon Tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-08 10:02 AM

New user

Darien, Ct.
Subject: New York City Triathlon Tips
I am competing in the NYC Triathlon coming up on July 22. Second tri for me, first Olympic. Still learning about do's, don'ts, etc. Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences if you've competed in this event.

thnx!!

2007-07-08 10:13 AM
in reply to: #876145

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: New York City Triathlon Tips

NYC Triathlon was my first Olympic distance race back in 2005.  It was an awesome event.  Very well supported.  Great course.

Do's & Don'ts:

1.  Don't drink from the Hudson.  I did and it screwed me up big time.  The current is very strong and will suck you down stream as soon as you jump from the dock.  Plan the jump and aim for the rope.  Some people missed the rope and were sucked down stream before they said "go".

2.  There's a hair-pin turn-around near the 21-22 mile mark on the bike.  SLOW DOWN to a snails pace.  Even though the RD warned people of this they were still coming in too hot and wrecking.  One after another....SLAM onto the pavement.  At least one guy had to go by ambulance.  Also, watch for pot-holes out to Yonkers.  There were a lot of people changing flats and a few walking their bikes back tot he start due to broken wheels.

3.  Central Park is hilly!  At least it seamed that way.  I expected it to be flat....wrong!  Do some short hill training to prepare the legs for the run course.

4. Soak up the city.  New York is one of the greatest places on earth.

2007-07-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: #876151

New user

Darien, Ct.
great feedback....thank you! When you say aim for the rope - what does that mean?

GF
2007-07-08 10:35 AM
in reply to: #876155

User image

Elite

afield - 2007-07-08 10:23 AM great feedback....thank you! When you say aim for the rope - what does that mean? GF

When I did this race, and I think it's still the same, you start from a wooden platform dock.  They will call your group to the start line.  You'll line up on the dock.  About 30 seconds or so before they fire the gun they will have you jump in the river.  There is a thick yellow rope tied to the dock structure for athletes to grab onto once they jump in the water.  The current is so strong that if you didn't have something to hold onto you'll be 100 yards away before they say "go".  So, my suggestion is....look for the rope.  Wait for everyone else to jump in, then you jump in when you see a clear spot.  When I did this someone landed on the rope and it sunk momentarily.  This caused other swimmers to miss the rope and get sucked down stream.  I had to fight my way back up stream to grab the rope.  Hence the reason I ended up drinking from the river.

2007-07-08 10:36 AM

User image

Master
New York
You line up on the seawall, but when they call your wave you go out to this floating platform. There's a rope floating in the water (attached to the platform) that you hold onto until you hear "GO!" The current is RIDICULOUSLY strong - so you really need to hold onto the rope.
*note* I raced NYC last summer, and then could hold about 1:45/100. With the current, my 1500 swim time was 19:03.

Other tips...
- The finish line is about 2 miles away from transition. It is a LONG walk on tired legs. Be prepared.
- Like oipolloi said, the run in the park has a few monster hills. Be prepared
- The run from the swim exit to transition is about 1/3 of a mile or so
- The silt in the Hudson is really bad. If you put your hand down and feel something like dirt, don't try to stand up. You'll sink right through it. It is beyond gross.
- Avoid SBR Multisports like the plague, unless you're planning on buying a $5k bike. If you've got the time, go to Jackrabbit down in Chelsea. I forget exactly where it is, though.

- Make a plan with your friends/family/whoever is meeting you at the finish line. Last year, there was ZERO organization, and about 5000 people, if not more, milling about trying to find their friends/family. I'd say it's easiest to meet on the benches that are on the left of the tents w/massages and food and such, past the finish line.

Have a great race! The venue is incredible, and almost makes up for the crazy atmosphere.
2007-07-08 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
  • The current is stronger in the Hudson away from the shore. Swim as far right as you can to take advantage of the faster current.
  • The rope is the attached to the pier where you will start the swim. You can jump in and hang on the rope before the swim start if you want. Or just wait and jump in the water once the gun goes off.
  • Make sure your water bottle cages are tight. There are a ton of joints on the bike course that will shake your bottles loose.
  • Enjoy riding on a freeway that is closed to traffic!
  • Enjoy the run, it is a great course! There are a few hills that seem cruel towards the end.
  • If they are doing the leg massages using the ice soaked towels, get one!
  • It is a long haul from the finish line back to transition. Be prepared for a long walk if you cannot find a cab.

Have a great race!

2007-07-08 1:03 PM
in reply to: #876170

User image

Master
New York
rollinsw - 2007-07-08 10:38 AM

• Make sure your water bottle cages are tight. There are a ton of joints on the bike course that will shake your bottles loose.

X2. I lost both my bottles about 90 seconds into the bike leg. The joints on the HH are rough. Be especially careful if you're using behind the saddle cages.

Edited by KenyonTri 2007-07-08 1:04 PM
2007-07-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: #876168

New user

Darien, Ct.
thank you KenyonTri!

so the run from swim to transition is on bare feet? Also, is it possible to miss the swim exit with the current being so strong?
2007-07-08 7:33 PM
in reply to: #876170

New user

Darien, Ct.
jumping in at the gun sounds like an interesting strategy....do many do this?
2007-07-08 7:55 PM

User image

Master
New York
No worries.

You can't really miss the swim exit - it's a big ramp, and they have kayakers and boats on the outside of the swim lane they clear (of garbage, big logs, etc) who will corral you into position.

I don't think you can jump in at the gun. Last year they made each wave get in the water, grab the rope and wait for about 30 secs until they fired the gun.

And yes, the run to T1 is barefoot. Unless you enjoy swimming in shoes...?
2007-07-09 11:14 AM

User image

WASHINGTON, DC
Thanks for the advice guys and gals.

2007-07-09 7:32 PM

Austin, Texas
NYC was my first TRI and I thought it was great. I would do it again, but I want to try other races.

The main thing I remember was everyone talking about how gross the swim was going to be. It wasn't great, but I didn't think it was that bad. Like I said, I would do it again. Just try not to swallow too much. You will LOVE the current though. Some of the women in the first wave were getting times around 14-15 minutes, but the current slows down as the morning goes on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New York City Triathlon Tips Rss Feed