General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crohn's Disease Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-09 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Crohn's Disease
A friend of mine has Crohn's, and it's pretty bad--far more side effects than others I've know who have it, bad reactions to medication, etc. She's kinda bummed out, needless to say. A neighbor of hers in Chicago mentioned doing a sprint triathlon, and she's interested, but feeling a little hesitant, because she's not sure her condition will allow her to do it.

Anyone here living with Crohn's, or know of anyone who is and who had sucessfully done triathons? I'd love to be able to give her some examples to inspire her.

2007-07-09 2:50 PM
in reply to: #877781

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Crohn's Disease
I don't have Crohn's, but I do have Ulcerative Colitis, which is somewhat similar. I have to say though, that my case is pretty mild... At any rate, I'm able to race triathlons with no problem. I'm not sure I could/would want to race in the midst of a flare-up, but when things are pretty stable, it's not a problem. Even during a flare-up, I'm able to work out, but might tend to spend more time in the gym than outdoors (to be in closer proximity to a bathroom if the need arrises....).

Good luck to your friend!!
2007-07-09 3:03 PM
in reply to: #877781

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Crohn's Disease
My wife has it but fortunately has been in remission for several years. This is her third year doing tris. Did her first sprint in 2005, two sprints last year, already did a sprint this year and has three more planned. Next year she wants to do an Oly. The reason she hasn't gone longer is not because of the Crohn's but because she has flat feet and her podiatrist advised against running more than 3 miles (but she's going to ignore that advice and see how it goes). She also has a nerve condition that produces spasticity on her right side. She seen seveal neurologists, MS has been ruled out, and the best they can say is that it is a result of the Crohn's, or rather, another auto-immune thing affecting her nerves. She's found that exercise helps this condition. If she misses several workouts, the muscles on her right side start to tense up and hurt, but she does fine with regular exercise. She has lost a bunch of weight and feels great. Exercise has been nothing but good for her.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crohn's Disease Rss Feed