General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Changing my life Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-28 11:01 PM

New user

Salt Lake City, Utah
Subject: Changing my life
I talked to a friend the other day about a triathalon. I'll be honest I wanted to do. Right now I am not in good shape, and am looking at starting up training asap at my local gym. Any advice and encouragement would be apprciated.

2004-09-29 12:17 AM
in reply to: #67614

User image

Gilbert, Az
Subject: RE: Changing my life
Good luck. I am not an expert and am new to triathlons but I do know from personnel experience that if you develope good habits and push your limits the results will follow.
2004-09-29 6:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
All the very best for this new phase in your life - just focus and take it one day at a time!
Good Luck!
M
2004-09-29 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
manitoba, canada
i as well am starting without being in very good shape, not one of those people with a base, i never ran in high school, or was never on a swim team.  And all I can say is:  as all the things you never imagine yourself doing slowly start to happen (and they will!!!) you'll be like a snowball picking up speed. (does that make sense?!?!?!) and you'll love it!! Good luck!!
2004-09-29 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario

I too started out 'not in good shape' - - and still am not.  But the rewards offered by exercising, weight training  are awesome.  This site has so much info to offer on how to go about it, PLUS the people on the forums are great motivators.  Welcome to the site, come back often

2004-09-29 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Marble Falls, TX
Welcome, this is a nice place to start...

I am not an expert but a newbie myself, check out
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
This might help get you started, along with the articles in the beginners area
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=59.
they gave me a nice idea of what I need to do...
I have found it better to start any workout routine as slow as possible to avoid injury and burn out...

Tri Hard and train safe..

Edited by Scottus 2004-09-29 10:11 AM

2004-09-29 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
welcome to the site! You will enjoy the folks here and the training logs will cetainly help keep you on track. You are in good company as many of us were or are in you rsame shoes.   Good luck!
2004-09-29 12:42 PM

Dallas
I did my first oly 2 years ago, and it was a great experience. If nothing else, the confidence I gained was tremendous. I couldn't swim at all and hadn't been on a bike in years...but I finished!

Now I'm training for my first half marathon and hope to do another oly next summer. This place is an excellent source of encouragement esp. on those days when working out doesn't sound very appealing!
2004-09-29 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome aboard.  I'll give you the same advice I give everyone who wants to begin training for triathlons.  First off, see your doctor for a complete physical.  If you get the go ahead from your physician, then read the articles suggested above.  Figure out your level of fitness or un-fitness and match your capabilities with the appropriate training program for you.  Follow the instructions carefully, take your time and enjoy the trip.  And, do keep current through this forum and ask as many questions, no matter how seemingly trivial, as you want answered.  Good luck.
2004-09-29 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Welcome to the beginning of the rest of your life. Like Machiavelo said, be sure that if you are not in good shape, learn exactly what shape you are in first before starting anything. Take things at the pace you need to. listen to your body. It won't be easy, but once you've made those life changes and they become habit, you won't believe what you'll be capable of. Good luck and let us know how you progress. If you don't believe that you are in good shape because of obesity, check out the Tri'ing for Weightloss forum. We're currently on our third week of our fitness challenge and newcommers are always welcome. If it's other issues, substance abuse and such (not neccessarily illicit stuff mind you), more definitely talk to your physician. They can put you in touch with the right people to help. Regardless, welcome and good luck!

-Frank
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Changing my life Rss Feed