General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GF not ready to finish, much less race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-10 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Northern California
Subject: GF not ready to finish, much less race

and I am concerned about her safety and (if something 'bad' happens) her wanting to continue with triathlon.

The race is in 11 days (400m/13mi/5k) and my GF comes from a running background - has done 10K/1/2 mary's 5+ years ago.

However, she hasn't ridden 5 feet on the bike (and hasn't ridden since childhood), and can't swim the WIDTH of the pool with her head in the water, much less 400m with any combination of floating/swimming, etc. needed to complete the swim leg of a race.

This morning I respectfully (or so I thought) suggested she do the race in August instead to allow more time to train in the pool (especially) and that I thought she would have more fun that way.

She got very angry, insisted this is how she does things, that she is ready now and that under no circumstance will we delay this race. 

The thing is, I know she isn't ready and I'm creating worst case scenarios in my head about race day.

Ideas? 

2007-07-10 12:05 PM
in reply to: #879166

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: GF not ready to finish, much less race
You aren't going to win this one.   She says she is ready, then she is.   If she fails, she can decide if she wants to prepare better next time, or quit.    You probably have her best interest at heart, but leave this one alone and cheer her on.   You can be the jerk that tells her she can't race, or the supportive guy who tells her she can finish.    
2007-07-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: #879208

User image

Master
Northern California

tkbslc - 2007-07-10 10:05 AM You aren't going to win this one. She says she is ready, then she is. If she fails, she can decide if she wants to prepare better next time, or quit. You probably have her best interest at heart, but leave this one alone and cheer her on. You can be the jerk that tells her she can't race, or the supportive guy who tells her she can finish.

Solid advice. Thanks 

2007-07-10 12:41 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Encourage and support sounds like the best thing you can do.

Or have her go post on Slowtwitch and let them rail on her to change her mind ..... they'd be able to do it!

Seriously, I'd just emphasize that you want her to succeed and that there are inherent risks in the sport.  But be supportive of whatever her decision is ..... it's not worth the battle to try and convince her otherwise if she is set on it.  And it is only a sprint ...... she can probably do it fine.

2007-07-10 12:42 PM

Elite
coachese - 2007-07-10 10:53 AM

and I am concerned about her safety and (if something 'bad' happens) her wanting to continue with triathlon.

The race is in 11 days (400m/13mi/5k) and my GF comes from a running background - has done 10K/1/2 mary's 5+ years ago.

However, she hasn't ridden 5 feet on the bike (and hasn't ridden since childhood), and can't swim the WIDTH of the pool with her head in the water, much less 400m with any combination of floating/swimming, etc. needed to complete the swim leg of a race.

This morning I respectfully (or so I thought) suggested she do the race in August instead to allow more time to train in the pool (especially) and that I thought she would have more fun that way.

She got very angry, insisted this is how she does things, that she is ready now and that under no circumstance will we delay this race. 

The thing is, I know she isn't ready and I'm creating worst case scenarios in my head about race day.

Ideas? 

If the race is OWS, you are right to be concerned for her safety given the lack of apparent swim skill as described in your message. I think you would be doing the right thing by helping her understand how dangerous this is. Maybe you can share the news stories from the tri last weekend in MA where people died during the swim.

If it is a pool swim, I think the danger is much less as she can just quit or take a break at the wall if the swim is too much.

But I think the "shut up and let her learn a lesson" is perhaps the wrong approach if she has a significant chance of being injured or worse. This is how I would approach it with someone I cared about.

In any case, don't get into an "I told you so" situation no matter the outcome.

FWIW.

2007-07-10 12:43 PM

User image

Hmmmmmmm,,,,,  normally I'd say good advice.  But you states she can't even swim the width of the pool with her head in the water, and that completing 400m is highly doubtful.  I'd say this is different than someone who is slow who needs encouragement.

The bike, so what, she'll go slow.  Swimming unprepared can be dangerous.  You going to be in the water with her?  I've read too many disturbing headlines lately not to be really worried about this one.  [edited to say, if it's a pool swim, then like the bike, so what]

Of course, she is an adult and can make her own decisions.  If you can't convince her otherwise, at least convince her to start out in the back of the swim so she doesn't have to deal with the scrum in addition to not being prepared for the swim itself. 

I hope it works out OK for her.

Edited by ChrisM 2007-07-10 12:44 PM

2007-07-10 12:44 PM
in reply to: #879351

Elite
Daremo - 2007-07-10 11:41 AM

And it is only a sprint ...... she can probably do it fine.

Rick, did you not see this portion of the original post:

"can't swim the WIDTH of the pool with her head in the water, much less 400m with any combination of floating/swimming, etc. needed to complete the swim leg of a race."

2007-07-10 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Try to get her to attempt the the individual distances sometime in the next week. If she can, great. If not, maybe she'll be convinced to actually train for it.
2007-07-10 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
coachese - 2007-07-10 11:53 AM

Ideas? 

I guess I just wonder how her reality can be so *off*. How does she think she can do a tri if she can't swim the distance required and she hasn't biked the distance required (although she can certainly pull it off).

Sometimes... depending on how head strong the person is that you are trying to reason with... sometimes you have to let them make their own mistakes and learn from them.

Now, if this is a OWS... you have reason to be concerned. Maybe you can buy her a Swim Safe belt and INSIST that she wear it. That might give you some piece of mind that she won't drown in the OWS.

If it's a pool swim... she will probably hang on the wall, walk, etc. She'll make it out at some point.

As for the bike... she'll be slow and passed by everyone. Although it sounds like she might make up some time on the run.

In the end though... and you KNOW this... she will be BOP and it sounds like she's competitive... and this won't be OK with her in the end. That might give her a dose of reality when she sees how poorly she does compared to the rest of the field and the women in her AG.
2007-07-10 12:51 PM

If she is as bad a swimmer as you are reporting, I would tell her NOT to race. If it's in a pool, at least she could touch down if she got tired, but a lake might not be so cozy and shallow. Plus, if she can't make it across a pool, she might panic in an OWS. Honestly, I think she's being a bit unrealistic if she thinks she should be participating in this race. Swimming can be dangerous, as everyone has mentioned. I would honestly, try to KINDLY discourage her from racing with the swimming skills (or lack thereof) that she has. You said she can run, and the bike she COULD pull off - we did an 80-miler a few weekends ago and one of the girls had not been on a bike since she was a little kid- she did 30 miles until she has a freak crash and broke her nose - had she not hit a metal guardrail, she would have been fine to get back on and keep going, as she wasn't going that fast.

BUT I'd worry about the swim...

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2007-07-10 12:54 PM
2007-07-10 12:52 PM
in reply to: #879361

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Even though I am a sucky swimmer, I know that I can float on my back all day long if need be.  If she can't manage that, she needs to be persuaded to not try it.  Maybe you can focus on the importance of the swim portion and state frequently that you know she's a capable person, but swimming in open water is a risk.  Ask her what her plan is when, 150 yards in, she tires and cannot continue.  Can she really not float?  Let her know that help may not be close by and other swimmers might have to help her, which is also not good.    I saw for myself at my first tri a swimmer who couldn't go on and was struggling, but was too far from a buoy or kayak volunteer.  She was also freaking out and said she was "fine", when she clearly wasn't.  I hate to imagine what would have happened if myself (who called for help, since she could not) and another swimmer (who held onto her and calmed her down) hadn't happened to stop and look up at that moment.

Edited to say:  If your estimation of her ability is correct, I would go so far as to say it's worth risking your relationship for.  Tell her you are saying this, even though you know she will find it upsetting.  But that you are serious and her safety is paramount.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2007-07-10 12:54 PM

2007-07-10 12:55 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I would rather be an honest jerk than a supportive liar.  You told her what you think and all because you care for her, if she already made up her mind probably there isn’t much what you can do. I would do what Mike said about asking her to swim/bike the distance before the race as training and hopefully if she is unprepared it will be obvious to her.

The swim won’t be the only dangerous part, riding a bike is even more dangerous with poor skills and many people swinging by at faster speed causing a safety concern for her AND other riders…

I hope she can understand that you are not encouraging her cuz you actually care for her…

2007-07-10 12:56 PM
in reply to: #879391

Elite
BikerGrrrl - 2007-07-10 11:52 AM 

Edited to say:  If your estimation of her ability is correct, I would go so far as to say it's worth risking your relationship for.  Tell her you are saying this, even though you know she will find it upsetting.  But that you are serious and her safety is paramount.

Agreed, one thing I have learned in 15 years of marriage: Sometimes brutal honesty is the most important form of love.

2007-07-10 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
we did an 80-miler a few weekends ago and one of the girls had not been on a bike since she was a little kid-

See, you were nice to let that person ride with you.

There is no way in h@ll I would take someone like that on a 80 mile ride. 10 miles... sure. 80 miles... "I'm sorry, but this ride is going to be very hard. I think it would be best if you didn't ride with us."

2007-07-10 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
If the race has an OWS, maybe going to a lake or some open body of water (with lifeguards) and having her try to swim the distance might help drive the point home to her that she might not be ready - at least not for the swim portion. I agree with what others have said - if it is an OWS race, then her safety, as well as the safety of other racers, could be at risk. Ultimately, you cannot FORCE her to drop out of the race, it's something she will have to decide herself. But if I were you, I would do my very best to try and convince her that it's not a good idea. Make sure to let her know that you are not you saying she's not "fit enough" to do the race, but that this is a **REAL** SAFETY ISSUE. Perhaps sharing the article with her about the swimmer who died & others who had to be pulled from the water in that MA race might be helpful, too...
2007-07-10 1:12 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
I think you should just go ahead and tell her that she shouldn't do the race because her tri suit makes her butt look big. You've already stirred up the hornet's nest, might as well go down in a blaze of glory.

2007-07-10 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Northern California

Here's the thing: She can't swim a lick, is afraid of the water (putting her head under especially) and I recognize in her, the same 'problems' with swimming that others I know have - they're afraid of drowning - which is OK.

We've been going to beginner swim lessons for a couple months and she HAS gotten better, but....I know how hard this sport is and she has done NO continuous lap training since, well, since March.

The race is OW BTW in a nice warm lake. 

As a personal experience parallel: I convinced a buddy of mine last summer to train with me. He's been swimming since he was young and in training I was impressed with his swimming. In the same race last year, he almost quit 200m in. After the race he told me he was "THIS" close to swimming to the lifeguard and stopping - and he can swim! 

We'll have a talk tonight and I'll keep you updated. I'm leaning towards letting her do the race.

2007-07-10 1:20 PM
in reply to: #879475

Elite
coachese - 2007-07-10 12:15 PM

I'm leaning towards letting her do the race.

Well letting vs not letting is not really the issue, as (I presume) you cannot physically prevent her from participating.

Do I take this to mean that you are leaning towards "encouraging" her to do the race?

If so, given that you just said she cannot swim a lick and it is OWS and thus dangerous for a severely undertrained swimmer, I wonder why you are leaning that way? Just being a pushover to avoid a fight?

Do you really fear for her safety or not??

Edited by ScottoNM 2007-07-10 1:21 PM
2007-07-10 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

Is she a "natural" athlete? I have a brother who hadn't been swimming/biking/etc. in forever who did his first tri last year and survived. They tend to be the hardest to convince that training is necessary.

If she's set on doing it, and won't/can't put her head in the water for the swim, get to the pool and practice breast stroke with her head out - or doggy paddle or side stroke or rescue stroke or something. She can do the swim without doing freestyle, but she'll be slower and it will wear her out faster. But, if she's determined to do it, at least working on swim strokes she can do - with her head out - will help.

Edit: Also, if you're close enough to a lake, you could always do a practice run of the tri this weekend. But DON'T go out there with the expectation that she'll quit. She needs to see the dangers herself and make her decision with that knowledge. 

Edited by watergirl 2007-07-10 1:31 PM
2007-07-10 1:35 PM
in reply to: #879583

Champion
South Jersey

I echo the sentiments of those who say you should encourage her not to do the tri.

BUT, my question is:

Why is she doing it in the first place? If she doesn't have the desire to train (which is like the most important, fun, and fulfilling part of the whole experience), why does she want to race? Is she really excited to do a tri? Is it because she thinks it will make you happy? Is she trying to understand you a little better? Maybe there are some other issues that are causing her apathy towards prepping for the race. I dunno, that's just me. Maybe I can't see it from her perspective because I am so Type A when it comes to training...

Good luck. Be safe .

2007-07-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: #879512

User image

Master
Northern California
ScottoNM - 2007-07-10 11:20 AM

If this were ST, I'd say, "I'd fear for YOUR safety if you were in the room right now" but it's not ST.

Maybe you should move on from this thread if you're out of advice that HELPS?

2007-07-10 1:42 PM
in reply to: #879650

Elite
coachese - 2007-07-10 12:37 PM

If this were ST, I'd say, "I'd fear for YOUR safety if you were in the room right now" but it's not ST.

First you say you are concerned about her safety (very first line of the original post), then you say you are leaning towards letting her do it, after restating how bad her swim training is.

No need for veiled threats, I am not your enemy. Just trying to help you understand what you think is the right thing to do.

Edited by ScottoNM 2007-07-10 1:45 PM
2007-07-10 1:44 PM
in reply to: #879449

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

jsnowash - 2007-07-10 1:07 PM If the race has an OWS, maybe going to a lake or some open body of water (with lifeguards) and having her try to swim the distance might help drive the point home to her that she might not be ready - at least not for the swim portion. I agree with what others have said - if it is an OWS race, then her safety, as well as the safety of other racers, could be at risk. Ultimately, you cannot FORCE her to drop out of the race, it's something she will have to decide herself. But if I were you, I would do my very best to try and convince her that it's not a good idea. Make sure to let her know that you are not you saying she's not "fit enough" to do the race, but that this is a **REAL** SAFETY ISSUE. Perhaps sharing the article with her about the swimmer who died & others who had to be pulled from the water in that MA race might be helpful, too...

x2

2007-07-10 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

Hmm, I think Lauren may have hit on something. Maybe your GF is trying to enter your tri world, and maybe it's really important for her to do this because of that. I've taken up smacking golf balls lately because it's what my hubby loves (I even let him buy me irons. Please help. ).

Is there something she really, really loves and has been bugging you to do that you could do race weekend instead? If you want to talk her out of a race, that might be the way to do it.

If not, get your woman to the pool and get to swimmin'.

2007-07-10 1:49 PM
in reply to: #879660

User image

Master
Northern California
ScottoNM - 2007-07-10 11:42 AM
coachese - 2007-07-10 12:37 PM

First you say you are concerned about her safety (very first line of the original post), then you say you are leaning towards letting her do it, after restating how bad her swim training is.

No need for veiled threats, I am not your enemy. Just trying to help you understand what you think is the right thing to do.

I hear you....I'm just confused. If (hypothetically) my GF who had done 8 tris over the last 2 years had told ME that I wasn't ready for my first sprint race and told me that she feared for my safety, I'd listen - I think.

I guess we have uncovered another problem... 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GF not ready to finish, much less race Rss Feed  

of 2