General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Done with the nose clip! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-10 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Done with the nose clip!
Or at least I hope. The rubber strap of my nose clip has turned to mush (from the chlorine?) so I've decided that it is time to learn to do without. I know that a lot of people just don't seem to have an issue with water up the nose, but it is a major annoyance to me and when it happens, I lose my cool (or whatever cool I have while swimming). Has anyone else gone from needing a nose clip to doing without one? Any tips? Should I still mostly be breathing out of my mouth?

2007-07-10 8:45 PM
in reply to: #880329

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Subject: RE: Done with the nose clip!
Nope... but, I have gone from a nose to clip to a minimal/low volume mask with a nose cup.

My problem is allergies when I come into contact with chlorine... water up the nose is going to happen no matter who you are or how you breath... the question is whether or not it effects you in a negative fashion.

FWIW

Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2007-07-10 8:47 PM
2007-07-11 8:18 AM

User image

Omaha, NE
I swam with a nose clip for three years and this year is the first I've done without it. (I misplaced mine and didn't feel like trying to track down a new one for my swim that day) I do get a bit of water up my nose occasionally even now, but I have also switched from breathing exclusively out of my mouth to breathing out of both my nose and mouth. I find that even when I get a little water in there, that breathing out of my nose on the next breath helps me regain my composure.
2007-07-11 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
I swam with mine for about 6 months and then decided to get rid of it.  Now I am fine in a pool but still need it in open water for some reason.
2007-07-11 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I tried last night and, while I "could" swim, I felt like all the great strides I was making in my form were completely shot because, once again, I had to learn how to breath and concentrate on that. I felt like I was learning freestyle all over again. With a race coming up in three weeks, I think maybe my time would best be spent getting in a lot of swimming with good form and practicing sighting, etc. So, right now my plan is waiting until fall to work on being nose clip-less. I know that I'll get used to swimming without it, but it seems like it'll take some time.
2007-07-11 10:20 AM

User image

Omaha, NE
No shame in that. My first race of the season is in two and a half weeks and I wouldn't go changing any of my gear now. Especially with the sighting, I find that's when I'm most susceptible to the water up the nose.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Done with the nose clip! Rss Feed