General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post WO meal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-13 5:53 PM

Regular
Subject: Post WO meal
What is a good post wo meal for when I run 7 + miles. At what point should you supplementing during wo's?

Thanks

2007-07-13 9:22 PM
in reply to: #885478

Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Post WO meal

I enjoy just about anything after a good workout.  I try to make sure I get a good mix of protein and carbs though.  Something like some pasta with chicken, or a pita.  My personal favourite though, is PB&J sandwiches.  I eat like 4 of them sometimes lol

As for supplementing during a workout, I think generally once you hit over an 1:00-1:30 you should look to start getting some calories and sodium back into you.

Usually if am around 30-60min, I try to get some gatorade in me.  If I am 1-2hrs I try to also get a gel in.  If I am 2+hrs I start to also try to get a bar/solid food with some protein in it as I get quite hungry at that point

2007-07-13 9:24 PM

User image

Elite

By "meal" I presume you mean a recovery meal...if so...this is what I have after a hard workout....

12oz Soy Milk
1 scoop Whey Protein
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 banana

Blend until smoothie texture.  Enjoy!

2007-07-14 5:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I don't eat anything other than my regular meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on when the workout occurs).  Sometimes I may down a Gatorade or a chocolate milk, but with my meals, I can't be adding even more calories in my day or I would weigh 300 lbs.  So no special meal for me. 

I start taking in some calories during a workout if it goes beyond 90-120 minutes.  Anything less, then I'm fine with just water or maybe a sports drink.

2007-07-14 6:04 AM
in reply to: #885729

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
drdi - 2007-07-14 5:17 AM

I don't eat anything other than my regular meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on when the workout occurs).  Sometimes I may down a Gatorade or a chocolate milk, but with my meals, I can't be adding even more calories in my day or I would weigh 300 lbs.  So no special meal for me. 

I start taking in some calories during a workout if it goes beyond 90-120 minutes.  Anything less, then I'm fine with just water or maybe a sports drink.

drdi, you might want to consider changing when you have your regular meals so that one of them falls immediately after your workout. If your body isn't getting the carbs/protein it needs within about 30 minutes you're loosing a lot of the gains that you worked so hard for.

Everybody has different calorie/nutritional needs, but timing is very important.
2007-07-14 1:06 PM
in reply to: #885740

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

drdi, you might want to consider changing when you have your regular meals so that one of them falls immediately after your workout. If your body isn't getting the carbs/protein it needs within about 30 minutes you're loosing a lot of the gains that you worked so hard for. Everybody has different calorie/nutritional needs, but timing is very important.

Maybe my post wasn't clear.  I do eat a meal after workouts (breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on when the workout occurs).  I might do a sports drink or chocolate milk while I am stretching, but since I am going to be eating soon, I try not to consume too many calories outside of my meal.  There might be the rare time that there is a delay, but not too often.  My point was that I don't eat anything special than I what I would eat any other day.  I try to balance my carbs with some protein and that's about as fancy as I get.  I think sometimes it's easy to overthink things.  I'm not into prepackaged workout foods marketed for the exercise crowd.  I'm into lean meat, whole wheat bread or fresh prepared potatoes and homegrown vegetables.

Let's see.  I just got home from riding my bike and sat down to eat lunch.  A couple thin slices of roast beef, pepper jack cheese, tomato on whole wheat bread, a side of mac and cheese, the rest of the tomato eaten raw/plain (I love that!), a glass of milk and a chocolate chip cookie.  Nothing special.  Just a balance of some complex carbs, simple carbs, protein and chocolate.

2007-07-16 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
I usually drink protein shake right after I am done, shower up and eat a normal meal.

x2 on supplementing anything over an hour with a gel or more. You will be fine with eating nothing or just having a sports drink but I always feel better with something in the tank rather than running on fumes.

It has been proven that chocolate milk is a great recovery drink. A good balance of carbs and protein. The ideal ratio for reovery is 4:1 carbs to protein ratio.
2007-07-16 1:32 PM

User image

Seattle
I love post WO meals, especially on the weekends after my longest sessions. In the book Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Monique Ryan, she lists pancakes with syrup (no butter) as a great high carb recovery meal. I usually have this with an egg or 2 LF chicken sausage links. I feel sorry for the server that has to wait on our sweaty, stinky selves.

If you don't have this book, get it. It's the best sports nutrion book I have read. Most books do not address endurance sports.

Nick
2007-07-17 11:58 AM

User image

Mountain View, CA

If I'm not going to eat a meal immediately I'll usually have a slice of whole wheat/grain bread with peanut butter, and maybe a piece of LF string cheese. And I always have chocolate milk.

Good to know about the pancakes!!! I tend to keep a canister of homemade pancake "mix" around (flour, baking powder, salt, and a tiny bit of sugar--just add egg(s) and milk and you're good to go) but always thought it was an indulgence, rather than recovery food. I might pick up that book, too.

2007-07-17 12:28 PM
in reply to: #887824

User image

Expert
Northern VA

badmoody - 2007-07-16 2:32 PM I love post WO meals, especially on the weekends after my longest sessions. In the book Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Monique Ryan, she lists pancakes with syrup (no butter) as a great high carb recovery meal. I usually have this with an egg or 2 LF chicken sausage links. I feel sorry for the server that has to wait on our sweaty, stinky selves. If you don't have this book, get it. It's the best sports nutrion book I have read. Most books do not address endurance sports. Nick

The last 2 hours of most of my long bike rides, I do nothing but think of pancakes. I have started noticing the great number of cars with bikes on them in the IHOP parking lot on weekends.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post WO meal Rss Feed