Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-16 4:27 PM
in reply to: #887248

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Des Moines ITU Triathlon on TV
amiine - 2007-07-16 9:09 AM

They don't really have any team approach at all. It just plays to each other abilities. The strong cyclist will want to attack and hopefully build up a lead so they can hold and win in it on the bike (like the men's race) or if no strong cyclists are pushing the pace the runners will be happy to ride with the group and hammer the run to see who can win it all (like the women did).

I shouldn't have used 'team,' what I meant was working together.  The swim you had a group that stayed together (or rather hung with the leader) which lead to the same group  hanging together on the bike.  The lead group did this but the chase 1 group failed to work together on the bike.  I'm oblivious to the logistics of ITU races, but it that stuck out to me.

2007-07-17 9:50 AM
in reply to: #888193

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
I was doing good, I was in a breakaway with 2 other strong riders and we had a minute on the chase pack. I could have out ran both of these guys too. At about mile 4 on the bike I hit a pot hole and my front wheel shifted and was rubbing the brakes. I thought it was just me not having a good day. Then as a result of that my run time was terrible, and I finished 13th. After the race I went back to transition and spun my wheel and it wouldnt even spin a quarter of a rotation...that was a releif.
2007-07-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: #885962

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I sat down to watch this race the other day with my girl, and she gloated that they only showed the ladies race! I really didn't care since I was just happy to see tri on TV. I would have liked to see the men's race as well though and make it a 2 hour show.

I can't remember seeing a ITU race before, so I quickly noticed the drafting. I stated out loud "this must be a draft legal race" about 10 seconds before the commentator did.

Both of us were AMAZED about how hard these ladies were pushing themselves. Very inspirational.

The other thing I quickly noticed - no one was on Tri bikes. Or at least they all had drop bars instead of TT bars. What is the rule on this? Are these road bikes or TT bikes with drop bars? Why the rule?

thx
2007-07-17 11:42 AM
in reply to: #889154

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

The other thing I quickly noticed - no one was on Tri bikes. Or at least they all had drop bars instead of TT bars. What is the rule on this? Are these road bikes or TT bikes with drop bars? Why the rule? thx

B/c ITU races are draft-legal, there is a handlebar rule, for safety:

E.3.6 Handlebars

For elite and junior competitors in Triathlon World Cups, Olympic Games, ITU Regional Championships, ITU International Events, the following rule on handlebars apply: (Note: This rule will not apply to age group competitions or long distance events).

a) Only traditional drop handlebars are permitted

b) Clip-ons will be permitted provided they do not extend more than 15 cm beyond the front wheel axle, and they are not longer than the brake levers' foremost line.

c) Straight forward clip-ons must be bridged, and must not carry forward facing brake levers

d) No forward facing bar or gear shifters are allowed on the end of the clip-ons. The only exception will be grip shifters.

e) Elbow pads are permitted.

2007-07-17 11:57 AM
in reply to: #889217

User image

Sensei
Sin City
thx lobstergirl,

Makes sense. don't want anyone gored like in the "running of the bulls". So typically, are these tri bikes with drop bars for safety or road bikes? I didn't seem to seen any aero/disk wheels on the bikes used in the Hy-Vee either.
2007-07-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: #887035

User image

Magella - 2007-07-16 6:54 AM

What an amazing race...it was such a sin to see that young girl completely fall apart with only like 2-3 miles to go. Then watching every woman fall over and be carried off at the finish line. It really was a great reminder of the mental aspect of the sport.

Watching this race was great, especially Ohata coming up from behind. She was really giving everything she had. At the end they mentioned that 18/44 DNF. I wonder how much of that is burning out in the brutal conditions and how much of it is the pros just wanting to save what they had to fight another day.

Keba

2007-07-17 2:09 PM
in reply to: #889243

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Aikidoman - 2007-07-17 11:57 AM

I didn't seem to seen any aero/disk wheels on the bikes used in the Hy-Vee either.

Did you see the what the winds were like? I don't think discs play to well with those kinds of gusts. All their wheels were definitely aero, just not disks.
2007-07-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: #885962

User image

Veteran
Glen Carbon
I really enjoyed the coverage of teh women's, but would have liked more on the men's and some coverage of the AGers. Maybe some more background. When I saw teh gal from Canada collapse, I had flashbacks of one of my friends at the St. Anthony's tri in April. After the bike portion, my friend noticed that he was making good time and if he could keep up his pace, he could beatr his wife's best time (who is our coach) He decided to blow past the drink stations and got about a half mile away and collapse. Now that his is OK, he is getting a lot of teasing and rightly so. What is the first rule of Tri? Keep hydrated!!!!
2007-07-17 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California

Edited by gocorey 2007-07-17 11:09 PM
2007-07-17 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
Disc wheels and aero helmets are not allowed either. Most women didn't use deep section aero wheels at this race because it was a somewhat hilly bike course and it was WINDY. A few guys like Andy Potts rode Zipp 808's since he is a more powerful rider and can handle them in cross winds.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Des Moines ITU Triathlon on TV Rss Feed  

of 2