General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin probs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-01 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: shin probs
I only recently started my training (~3 weeks) but seem to have already developed some pain on the inside of my shins - the inside is sore to the touch about 1/2 way up & it hurts there when I run on it. I do have flat feet and a pair of really old orthotics and I did get fitted for a pair of running shoes to help this out, and even started out fairly slowly on a dirt path but got the pain anyway (I think it goes back to the spring - I first noticed pain when practicing without my orthotics in my cleats. I didn't do any running over the summer though so I was surprised the pain came back).

Anyways, after starting a run yesterday and still having the pain I decided to stop running & give my legs some time off. My question is this - besides icing & advil is there anything that can really be done? I can't stay off it completely (ie I need to walk...) but I'm hoping not to be sidlined for months either. I've heard about some of the things you can do to help stop shin splints (if thats what it is) from coming back like the duck walk which I figure I can do while I'm not running. Is there maybe some voodoo spell that will work too?

2004-10-01 1:45 PM
in reply to: #68543

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: shin probs

Hi Drew, I'm flat-footed too. And I get shin splints! First off, you may have started up running too fast. You're not supposed to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% a week, and even that's a little high for those of us who don't have the best bio-mechanics. You might want to check out the Couch to 5k program either here or at coolrunning.com (they're different programs) and adjust it to fit you.

The kind of shin splints you have is completely consistent with flat-feet also. So you may want to go to your podiatrist and make sure that your old orthotics are still working well for you. My podiatrist told me that every 5 years or so, orthotics need to be assessed to make sure that your feet haven't changed.

My patented shin splint remedy is as follows. Ice 3x's a day for 10-15 min. 3 ibuprofens 3x's a day (it's an anti-inflammatory, not for pain). Stretch your calves 3x's a day (BEFORE icing, afterwards, your muscles may have shortened and you're more at risk for injury.... this will also help prevent achilles tendonitis, which is also typical for our biomechanics). Do this while resting for 2 to as many days as it takes for the pain to go away.

After your body will accept running again, ice after every run. Run backwards and then forwards with your toes pointed in, then out for 2x100yds as part of your cool down. Warm-up COMPLETELY before every run then stretch your calves just lightly. Then stretch for real after your run (again, before icing). When you're sitting watching TV or at your desk. Straighten out your leg, then use your shin muscle to pull your toe up toward your knee, hold it until you fatigue, rest, repeat. Do this a few times a day and with your toe pointed in, straight, and pointed out.

Hope that helps! Happy running!

2004-10-02 1:39 AM

New user

Wisconsin
I had shin problems when I first started running half marathons, and was diagnosed with microfractures on my shin, and a leg pronation (which can't be fixed without breaking then resetting my leg). I ended up taking two calcium pills per day, cross-training, got a new pair of custom fitted running shoes, and took off for awhile from running (about a month). Since then I haven't had any problems - so maybe those are some things you might want to try.

Edited by devanium 2004-10-02 1:40 AM
2004-10-04 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Thanks for the tips - I've been following your advice & the pain is just about gone already. I'm going to see about getting new orthotics too (I've had my current ones since before I could drive so its about time to retire them I think) so hopefully between all this it'll be ok. I didn't realize about the ankle probs too - its interesting because I sprained my ankle last year though I didn't actually twist it or anything - but it was doing jumping-type drills and all of the sudden I couldn't walk on it - so maybe I'm actually predisposed towards that type of thing with my flat feet. Thanks for the help.

Drew
2004-10-04 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Are you stretching your legs real good? I developed the pain on the inside of the leg also this year. I got it because I got to enthused to run and pushed my mileage up to quickly. I found that icing the area and stretching helped. Try to do some strength training see if that helps. I also use fins in the pool when I kick and I'll kick about 500 yds. with them. I could feel the pain in my leg when swimming but it felt better because it started to get stretched out.

Mike
2004-10-08 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Just a little follow-up:

I had been stretching well & icing alot whicjh I will continue to do - The pain is gone now & I'm getting ready to start running again this weekend, although this time I'm going to start it out REALLY slow.

I went in to get fitted for new orthotics & talked to the podiatrist about the shin splints - he told me that most of the exercises (duck walk, etc.) are good for regular shin splints on the front of the shins, but mine are on the inside of the shins & are caused by flat feet - its a different muscle which is trying to keep the foot from rotating inwards (pronating) which is causing the problems. He said to strengthen this to try attaching rubber bands to the wall or something, while sitting on the floor with your leg exteded hooking your big toe into it and pushing inwards, making sure to use only the foot/ankle, DO NOT rotate the leg.

Thanks agian for the tips.

Drew

2004-10-08 1:55 PM
in reply to: #70491

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Hey! Glad to hear that you're recovering well! Thanks for mentioning the exercise your doc recommended. I'll have to try that!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin probs Rss Feed