General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim issue - calf cramp Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-16 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Swim issue - calf cramp

I did my 2nd Oly distance this past Saturday and at about the same time in the swim as my first Oly, about 75-80% finished, I got a cramp in my left calf.  Neither time it was too bad, I just relaxed my legs and it didn't bother me the rest of the race.  I was OK post race and only a little sore on Sunday.  Today, Monday, it was pretty sore in the morning but feeling better now in the evening.  I had similar post race results after my first Oly on June 3.  Both races were full wetsuit.  Pre-race was cereal and banana.  Do I need more fluids and/or electrolytes pre-race?  I'm using Gatorade Endurance for training/races. 

I've done 2 sprints with 400 yd swims with no problems.  I've done OWS in wetsuit for 40-50 minutes with no problems, although these were not done at race pace.  My swim time in the Olys is around 32-33 minutes.   

2007-07-16 8:39 PM
in reply to: #888492

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Swim issue - calf cramp

I get calf/foot cramps when swimming. When doing any swim workouts I drink electrolytes in the form of nuuns to avoid cramps. If I'm in a bad stint of them I'll take extra electrolytes about 1/2 hour before my swim workout.

Before races I take a Lava Salt which is 255 mg of sodium. For me as cramping is an issue swimming and running prevention works best.

You may want to include a race pace simulation and try additional electrolytes and see if that helps.

Nice swim pace! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim issue - calf cramp Rss Feed