General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans for the masses Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-20 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Subject: Training plans for the masses

And by masses I mean those with higher mass.

Has anyone else noticed that trainers and those writing training plans don't get us? I'm sure a few of them have success stories about how they were once a Clyde or Athena, but every plan I've seen both pre-made and personalized started out with some assumptions that just weren't realistic for the big-boned crowd.

Some examples might be:

• Assumed time and distance numbers "This week run total 12 miles (1.5hrs)"
  • Focus on speed increases instead of endurance
  • Focus on muscle build instead of fat loss
  • Scheduling high impact activities without enough recovery for our more stressed lower legs.

I found that by trying to follow these I'm more prone to injury, and I get caught in a cycle of putting on more dense muscle that holds me back in the long run. Has anyone had or found a plan that really works for them? If so what did you like about it?

2007-07-20 4:31 PM
in reply to: #894928

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: Training plans for the masses
I had lots of injury issues with pre-fab plans, so I finally ended up deciding to go with a coach.  I'm just starting the process so we'll see how it goes.
2007-07-21 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Most of the pre-plans are cathered for the skinny crowd. Now of course, their are some coaches out there that work plans for the Clyd/Athenas, but when people look at them, it the old ready book by its cover. How can this person be coaching if they look fat or large!! Kind of a conandra of where we are. Some Large athletes do perform pretty well, and are very bright with training ideas for larger people.

2007-07-23 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I've modified plans as I self-coach myself through my first triathlon season.  For me, without a doubt, the key was rearranging workouts to allow proper recovery after runs, especially the long run.  In terms of how much we stress our bodies, swimming and biking are not nearly as hard on the "masses" as the running.
2007-07-23 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
You make a GREAT point with this thread; for instance, my "Canned plan" had me running 45 minutes yesterday..;it also said "10k race, go all out."  Heh...considering that would be a pace in the 7:xx/mile range, I just laughed and ran my 4 miles.
2007-07-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: #897031

User image

Sensei
Sin City
My plans tends to focus on times rather than distances (except for the swims). I just get my HR to my zones for the right amount of time and go from there.

However, I do see the same problems. At first, I was worried that I was not getting the distance in I needed. Most of my run workouts were 45 to 60 min and I found I never hit 10k in training. The longest run I had for the first 5 months were the 10ks during the races!

The same was for biking. I just couldn't get the miles in the time frame they wanted. It's only now that my long run and bike on the weekends are over the race distances. (about 20% to 50% longer). All other workouts are usaully shorter than the race distances but focus on speed.

2007-07-23 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
I actually work it out with my Physician. We make plans and I submit my logs on a weekly basis and then make changes if necessary. I know that this is a different scenario than most people have but it's a great setup for me. Being a Clydesdale and having had 2 arthroscopic surgeries with ACL repair I have to be careful with my knee ( I want to still be riding at 60) and I try to ride more than anything for that reason. I'm also new to triathlons so I don't have the experience with multisport events. Over the last 7 months of training I have been pretty close to injury free (nothing more than 3 days rehab for overuse). I'm hesitant to use a cookie cutter plan because of my concerns. Unfortunately this might end up making me slower but I'll take slow over injured every time.
2007-07-23 6:49 PM
in reply to: #897481

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

chrisinct - 2007-07-23 12:27 PM I actually work it out with my Physician. We make plans and I submit my logs on a weekly basis and then make changes if necessary. ... I'm hesitant to use a cookie cutter plan because of my concerns. Unfortunately this might end up making me slower but I'll take slow over injured every time.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The added weight and higher risk of injury makes our training more medically technical instead of the classic, "work out this much and get this result" cookie cutter approach. I've become an armchair web sports doctor and physical therapist trying to get myself to the finish line.

I find that I need more biofeedback, and I have to find the medical basis for all the recomendations and adjust everything accordingly. If I want to make fat loss gains I need to monitor the HR all the time and make sure I'm going slow enough. And in nutrition instead of going by "2 scoops of this mix per hour", I figure out grams of carbs per kg muscle mass per hour.

2007-07-24 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Great thread topic, Harold (hjmii), and fortunately, I heard pretty early on in my BT days that if I could do even 70% of any given training plan (for ex. the Silver level Half-Iron 20 week plan I followed last summer), then I'd be fine for race day.  There was no need to do all 100% or to try for makeup workouts if extra recovery days were needed.  And that worked fine for me, but in general, I am self-coached and unaware of coaches who wouldn't take into account the ht/wt diffs of larger athletes like us. 

That said, when I coach newbies from my gym towards their first tri or their fifteenth tri, I take into account the athlete's history of injury, background/years of training in each sport, and then push them through similar workouts, regardless of size.  I plan in the same amount of rest days, but I always emphasize the recovery after long runs.  Those and hill repeats are the most damaging of any workouts.  The more out of shape someone is, the more I emphasize finding an easy pace and just pushing through for time.   Again, that's regardless of size.

What's interesting now is that I have 2 trainees who couldn't be more physically different and I'm seeing just how strong a 210+ daily-exercising athena can be when compared to a former track spinter who's barely 135 but almost never exercises.  I'd say that the daily exercise and endurance background of the athena will help her last longer, race stronger than the other light-weight, but I do have to adjust their training plans accordingly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans for the masses Rss Feed