General Discussion Triathlon Talk » have you ever improved your (swim) kick? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-22 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Subject: have you ever improved your (swim) kick?

I've been working on improving my kick to improve my swim outside of my wetsuit.

I have very stiff ankles and so far have not had very much success reducing the amount of drag they cause. Has anyone here actually improved their kick following the standard advice of stretching, vertical kicking and the like?

I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say, " I used to suck at swimming but now I'm better."

2007-07-23 12:39 AM
in reply to: #896332

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: have you ever improved your (swim) kick?
I have spent the last 3 years doing all kinds of kicking drills, and, no, my kick has never improved. I see lots of people in the pool with poor ankle flexibility and they get a lot of propulsion out of their kicks, so crappy kicking might also reflect weakness in the muscles used to kick...whatever those are.
2007-07-23 4:54 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
I would say that my kick has improved.  It's far from perfect but its better than it was.  I've just been watching the TI DVD and visualizing doing the workouts then trying to replicate them in the pool.  Only problem is that I haven't swam for months now I'll probably have to start over
2007-07-23 5:21 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Broompatrol - 2007-07-22 11:09 PM

I've been working on improving my kick to improve my swim outside of my wetsuit.

I have very stiff ankles and so far have not had very much success reducing the amount of drag they cause. Has anyone here actually improved their kick following the standard advice of stretching, vertical kicking and the like?

I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say, " I used to suck at swimming but now I'm better."

I did...  I improved from 1:40-1:50 per 100 yds to 1:15 per 100 yds on a 500 time trial. But it takes lots of laps in the pool, help of swim coach, video analysis and drills/swim. Among many things, my kick was horrible as it had a scissor wide motion slowing me down. I fixed that with lots of vertical kicking and swimming with a band.

Of course by lots of laps in the pool I mean lots. I went from swimming 2-3x a week avg 3000-4500 yds 3 years ago to 3-4x a week 6000-8000 yds next year to 5-6x a week avg 15,000-18,000 yds this year.

The reality is that a very small % of tri-geeks are willing to spent the time required in the pool to improve their swim, hence just a few see big improvements.

2007-07-23 5:27 AM
in reply to: #896367

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
skavoovie - 2007-07-23 12:39 AM I have spent the last 3 years doing all kinds of kicking drills, and, no, my kick has never improved. I see lots of people in the pool with poor ankle flexibility and they get a lot of propulsion out of their kicks, so crappy kicking might also reflect weakness in the muscles used to kick...whatever those are.

I don't have flexible ankles, in fact I don't want to cuz my run is my strength, and that doesn't stop me from have an efficient kick. After all we are NOT looking for propulsion from the kick, but rather body balance and to start the body rotation to use our core which provides the power to generate a better/faster/stronger stroke. if your kick hasn't improve is because you are doing the wrong work or just not doing enough...

2007-07-23 7:15 AM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I have swam for 13 years, and I have not improved my kick, except for two seasons. If you want to improve your kick, you're going to have to put a lot of effort into it.

First, every week do a set of 4x50kick @ 2min, as fast as you can go for all 4. It serves as a benchmark, and it works your legs a bit. I have been able to bring my times down from 43/47/51/53 to 42/43/45/46.

Start your off season with a lot of fins. After your regular workout distance, say 3km, do another 600-800m with fins, not working hard, but letting your ankles become more flexible.

Do your long distance kick sets (3x400m), your fast sets (50@slow pace, 75@same time, eg 1min30sec/1min30sec), and don't even think about touching that lanerope or doing whip kick.

One more thing: If you are a person who normally points their toes outward when standing like a duck, make sure to point them inward when you kick (that's 1sec/50m that you saved).

2007-07-23 1:27 PM
in reply to: #896456

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

Thanks for the feedback

To clarify my question. I wasn't hoping to go faster with a kick but I wanted an efficient kick to help with body position (keeping hips up) so swimming is easier. Right now it seems that my kick is slowing me down and ruining my glide.

Even so, I do enjoy swimming so putting in lots of yards is fine (especially in July!).

I know that there is no "magic bullet" I wanted to make sure that my efforts are correct instead of working really hard at swiming bad.

2007-07-23 1:31 PM
in reply to: #896394

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

amiine - 2007-07-23 3:21 AM

I did...  I improved from 1:40-1:50 per 100 yds to 1:15 per 100 yds on a 500 time trial. But it takes lots of laps in the pool, help of swim coach, video analysis and drills/swim. Among many things, my kick was horrible as it had a scissor wide motion slowing me down. I fixed that with lots of vertical kicking and swimming with a band..

Swimming with a band? Do you mean the tether to side of a pool?

And that is a great improvement, nice job.

2007-07-23 1:53 PM

Veteran
Try reading Terry McLaughlin's "Total Immersion" book if you haven't to find out principles and drills for getting more streamlined which will ultimately make everything faster. he covers everything but also what your legs should be doing. It's a great read.
2007-07-23 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Carbon
You all are kind of frightening me. How much kicking do you ususally do in your swim segment? I can understand if you are just wanting to improve your general pool swims, but are you kicking hard during races? Seems you would want to save your legs, plus there is the danger to other racers. Hopefully I am just misunderstanding what you are intending.
2007-07-23 2:49 PM
in reply to: #897444

User image

Mountain View, CA

lfrick - 2007-07-23 12:13 PM You all are kind of frightening me. How much kicking do you ususally do in your swim segment? I can understand if you are just wanting to improve your general pool swims, but are you kicking hard during races? Seems you would want to save your legs, plus there is the danger to other racers. Hopefully I am just misunderstanding what you are intending.

If I understand correctly, you're not meant to kick much (other than, as Jorge mentioned, for balance and rotation) until the last few hundred yards. At that point the kicking serves to get the blood flowing to the legs, so that you don't start out cold on the bike.

To the OP: my first year on a swim team I got the "most improved" award, so yes, people do get better. But really, if you want to improve your kicking and overall swimming you just have to do a lot of it--and make sure you're doing it the right way. Get some coaching (masters teams can be good for this, and video analysis is particularly good), watch videos of people with impeccable form, and swim swim swim. Good luck!

2007-07-23 3:00 PM
in reply to: #897444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

lfrick - 2007-07-23 12:13 PM You all are kind of frightening me. How much kicking do you ususally do in your swim segment? I can understand if you are just wanting to improve your general pool swims, but are you kicking hard during races? Seems you would want to save your legs, plus there is the danger to other racers. Hopefully I am just misunderstanding what you are intending.

I am hoping to break blocks and crush seal skulls.

Just Kidding.

To clarify. I am not looking for an Ian Thorpe like kick. But, my kick is uncoordinated and causes drag. So my workouts are more difficult and longer than they need be. Also if I ever race w/o a wetsuit I will be really slow.

This is the weakest part of my swim and so far the most difficult to correct. It is bad enough that it interferes with my glide which is crucial to a good swim.

So, I was hoping to hear from everyone to see what type of results they have had with the various training methods.

BTW, How many FOPers have a weak and ineffecient kick?

2007-07-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: #897576

User image

Veteran
Flower Mound, Texas
2007-07-24 8:27 AM
in reply to: #897333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Broompatrol - 2007-07-23 8:27 PM

To clarify my question. I wasn't hoping to go faster with a kick but I wanted an efficient kick to help with body position (keeping hips up) so swimming is easier. Right now it seems that my kick is slowing me down and ruining my glide.

More or less efficient kick has nothing to do with keeping hips up - leaning on your lungs does! and keeping your head low. and all other stuff from Total Immersion book and DVD. helped me a LOT!! good luck.

2007-07-24 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
I used to suck at swimming but now I'm better.
I've managed to improve my (very sad) kick over the last few years. Alot of it came from rediculously large kick sets imposed upon me by my coaches. I find that's what works best. I am very fortunate to have been born with over-flexible tendons and ligaments, so the flexibility was never much of a problem. As for efficiency, have you ever heard of "pressing your T"? This is a phrase not uncommon on pool decks. Basically you imagine your upper torso (chest and shoulders) as a T. You want to press the T into the water as you're swimming. For freestyle, this will raise your lower half and increase your kick efficieny. It's also a very integral part of the other strokes, but we don't use those!
Not to mention, my kick has improved alot since I started training for triathlons... I guess all the added leg strength really helped out.

One thing I could suggest to help stretch out your ankles (but I'm not sure how safe it is) is this: Stand on one leg, raise the other off the ground. With the raised leg, flutter kick as fast as you can. I find that loosens up my ankles before a race. Again though, I'm not sure if that's too safe for your joint..?
2007-07-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: #898547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

trinosaur - 2007-07-24 5:59 AM How many 2000 yard kick sets have you done? http://www.xtri.com/tri_tech_display.aspx?riIDReport=2113&CAT=4...

Since my kick provides zero forward movement the answer would be zero.

Seriously though, I appreciate the feedback. I haven't heard any new suggestions excpet for the last one of whipping my leg around to lossen it up. But, you all have bbeen very helpful in sharing what has worked and hasn't worked. This helps my perspective on where my focus should lie and what type of results I can look for.

I really appreciate it.

2007-07-24 12:33 PM
in reply to: #898927

User image

Veteran
Flower Mound, Texas
I have never done a 2000 yard kick set either but I have read recomendations from several swim coaches (Doug Stern Hydn Wooley) to do them at different times of the year. I have got my 50 yard kick time down from 2min to about 1:15min since last August. Also the faster I kick the faster I swim. I would like to work up to a 2000 yard kick set to see what happens to my swimming. Maybe in the offseason because it will trash your legs for running/biking.

A good test set is 5x(2x25Kick,100swim,50recovery) If the last 100 swim is faster then the first it is because of ankle flexibility. The first time I did that set it was WTF is going on?

If you go nowhere when kicking get some zoomer fins.

TI drills are also kick sets, if you are doing TI drills for most of them the only propulsion is from the kick, this is probably one of the reasons TI works for some people, lots and lots of kicking.

Edited by trinosaur 2007-07-24 12:34 PM
2007-07-24 1:29 PM
in reply to: #899137

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

great advice

thanks

2007-07-25 5:48 AM
in reply to: #899285

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I am a total beginner with a kick that used to cause a lot of drag.  I spent so much time kicking to keep my balance, I was breathless after a 1/2 lap.  I started doing the TI drills which as a prior poster indicated includes a lot of kicking.  I have improved both overall and my kick.  I have gone from a 10 beat kick (according to my swim coach) to an almost solid 2-beat kick that adds some propulsion.  I can now go a whole lap (pathetic to some) without dying at the end.

2007-07-25 7:40 AM

User image

Regular
According to my TI instructor some people are not meant to kick in the water, me being one of them. Although kicking gives you a tiny bit of propulsion and is supposed to help balance and float, when done incorrectly it causes a major drag in the water. Well that's my paraphrase, he explained it further and it made more sense.

Anyway, he had me try not kicking as I stroke with my upper body. After 4 laps, I started swimming faster with better balance and a more effortless roll. I have been doing that for a month now and I have never swam better. My times have improved and more importantly I get out of the pool after 30 minutes of straight swimming and feel awesome rather than completely out of breath.

When you try not to kick you will actually kick just a slight bit, but in a more efficient way. You sort of flick your feet rather than an all out kick. I am pumped to see how great my legs feel getting on the bike at my next OLY.
2007-07-25 10:55 AM
in reply to: #896394

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
amiine - 2007-07-23 5:21 AM

Broompatrol - 2007-07-22 11:09 PM

I did... I improved from 1:40-1:50 per 100 yds to 1:15 per 100 yds on a 500 time trial. But it takes lots of laps in the pool, help of swim coach, video analysis and drills/swim. Among many things, my kick was horrible as it had a scissor wide motion slowing me down. I fixed that with lots of vertical kicking and swimming with a band.

Of course by lots of laps in the pool I mean lots. I went from swimming 2-3x a week avg 3000-4500 yds 3 years ago to 3-4x a week 6000-8000 yds next year to 5-6x a week avg 15,000-18,000 yds this year.

The reality is that a very small % of tri-geeks are willing to spent the time required in the pool to improve their swim, hence just a few see big improvements.

Excellent information you provided as always.

I just have to say that I would love to be one of those "very small % of tr-geeks", but having 3 sons from 2 to 10 years old, they need their dad to spend time with them and to coach their Little League and basketball games (and let's not forget the wife who leaves early in the morning to go to work, and is probably getting upset with all the training time, coaching time, and no vacation time!).

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2007-07-25 10:56 AM

2007-07-25 6:08 PM

New user

Alright, so I'm only 17, but I coach a swim team and I'm also a swim instructor.

Firstly, don't use flutter boards only focusing on your flutter kick!!! I find that this can easily stress your shoulders and some people even hurt their backs doing this. and remember your flutter kick only contributes to about 10-15% of your total propulsion. The biggest benifit it gives you is just keeping your feet and hips up to stay streamlined.

Instead try one of these if you are trying to isolate your kick:
1) My favourite is doing a side glide. Almost like you are taking a breath in your front crawl. Your arm that you have put ahead should be parallel to the surface of the water. Do 50m (one length on one side, one length on the other)
2) Practice kicking on your back.

Alright so you can do something like this in your training:
100m front crawl
100m arms only (with pullbuoy)
50m flutter kick (#1 or #2)
x3-4

Some general tips for your front crawl (referring to your feet and hips)
-above all try and keep it consistant at a steady pace
-if you are having problems sinking wise with your feet, try looking at the bottom of the pool instead of ahead of you, and push the top of your chest down slightly. If you are still having problems, try to keep a thin film of water flowing over the back of your head. (Might need a friend to confirm that.)
-kick from the hip, NOT THE KNEEs, although you can bend your knees SLIGHTLY

Alright I hope that helps y'all! I know its helped me and the people I teach. (I do teach adults so don't think I only teach kids) If you have any other problems related to swimming, feel free to email me cause I love swimming! The one thing I don't have much experience with is open water swimming... Oh well, its my first year in Triathlon!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » have you ever improved your (swim) kick? Rss Feed