General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planning for next year problems....calling all vets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-05 9:47 AM

User image

Subject: Planning for next year problems....calling all vets
Ok, so I sit down this week to plan my next year of racing using the Triathletes Training Bible. The only race I'm really planning on with any priority is Ironman Wisconsin. I don't care about any other race. I will race others, but they will only be in preparation for Ironman Wisconsin.

Planning the year is hard. It says in TTB that you should skip Build 1 and Build 2 periods if you are doing an Ironman. So is my next year going to be all Base? if so that's fine, but I'm having a real hard time figuring out when to do what and when. I'm wanting to do Gale Bernhardts 13 weeks to a 13 hour Ironman but I need to be doing stuff in the offseason I would think. 13 weeks from Ironman Wisconsin would have me start training in June, which seems late.

I know it's only October, but I feel like if I don't get on it soon or get it figured out I'm just spinning my wheels. I like to train knowing I'm following something....It is so frustrating.

If anyone out there can help me I would sure appreciate it.

Edited by timbarcz 2004-10-05 9:48 AM

2004-10-05 10:12 AM
in reply to: #69416

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Planning for next year problems....calling all vets
I'm a big fan of Gale's book, so I would point you in that direction. In the beginning of the 13 week/13 hour IM plan, she has a profile section that tells you what you should be able to do performance-wise. Her plans are easy to follow, so go with that. She also has a section on generic multisport training that I think might work well for you until you are ready to start the 13 week program.

-Frank
2004-10-05 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Why not just do the 26 week plan?
2004-10-06 12:53 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Gale Bernhart's book has a 26 week to an Olympic plan - so this is what I'd do.

(1) I'd look at the differences between the 13 week Ironman and the 16 week Oly (I think there's a 16 week Oly in there)

(2) I'd look at the differences between the 16 week Oly and the 26 week Oly.

Then, based on what I saw as the differences, I think you should be able to figure out what to do to modify the shorter Ironman plan into a year plan.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planning for next year problems....calling all vets Rss Feed