General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-25 3:48 PM

Subject: From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices

I just bought a used road bike ('94 OCLV 5200 TREk) and am looking to TRI it out. I am new to the sport and am still learning. I completed two OLYs and might do a couple more before my HIM in Sept.

My saddle is brutal (San Marco Asp) and I need another one, especially for the HIM I am looking at, something light and around $100. Any Ideas? Would a tri specific saddle help at all?

I have an aluminum seat stem, would a tri specific one give me a more aggressive angle on the bike allowing me to be in the Aero position more comfortably?

Also have a Vetta computer that came with the bike I might replace that as well. Any preferences.

The main issue though are the aero bars. I have carbon handle bars and from what I have been told I can't clip-on aero bars to these. So I need to find either a carbon handle bar that would be made to clip-on aero bars ($$$) or just get decent aluminum handle bars and clip-on aero bars. Maybe something adjustable. And should the aero bars be carbon as well? Or is the difference in performance minimal.

And of course I don't want to spend an arm and leg on this, but I do want something decent.

I have used aero bars, but only one set and do not know the difference between the various shapes such as the S curve, the Iron man, the Vision.
Where am I going to see the benefit of these?

I just want to be comfortable on my bike. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2007-07-25 6:12 PM
in reply to: #901321

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices
fbd_skeez - 2007-07-25 1:48 PM
My saddle is brutal (San Marco Asp) and I need another one, especially for the HIM I am looking at, something light and around $100. Any Ideas? Would a tri specific saddle help at all?

I have the Profile Design Tri Strike - It doesn't help with speed, but it is comfortable, has vents to dry out your suit after the swim, more gel on the nose which helps riding in aero, and a little notch to hang the bike in the transition area. Those are minor things, so just get what is comfortable and you can spend significant time on.

I have an aluminum seat stem, would a tri specific one give me a more aggressive angle on the bike allowing me to be in the Aero position more comfortably?

The aggressive angle for TT and Tri is actually based on the bike geometry, not the seat post. That being said, there is a couple seat post (I own one from Thompson) that has a bend in it. It will "simulate" a steeper seat tube angle by moving the saddle forward. It is advertised for that purpose.

The main issue though are the aero bars. I have carbon handle bars and from what I have been told I can't clip-on aero bars to these. So I need to find either a carbon handle bar that would be made to clip-on aero bars ($$$) or just get decent aluminum handle bars and clip-on aero bars. Maybe something adjustable. And should the aero bars be carbon as well? Or is the difference in performance minimal.

I'm not sure if this is true. You can clamp the bars with the stem, right!?!? However, per my carbon MTN bike handlebar, there are areas they reinforce for clamping, They may have areas of the bars that are safer than others. But if you mount close to the stem - you may be ok. The only thing that I know of that is a benefit for carbon aero bars is weight - no other significant performance benefits

I have used aero bars, but only one set and do not know the difference between the various shapes such as the S curve, the Iron man, the Vision.
Where am I going to see the benefit of these?

Comfort, and a little difference in aerodynamics.

However, I must mention that you can make all these changes, but without a proper bike fit and setup by a pro – you may not be getting the most out of your upgrades. PLUS, if your not careful, you could end up spending enough money on upgrades that you could have bought a tri specific bike.

Good luck and no matter what you ride, have fun and welcome!
2007-07-25 9:39 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
unless you are super fast or bike that distance alot I would go more for confort than speed. I took the areo bars off my bike because I felt they were just getting in the way. forward seat posts and clip on bars help but to really get the best of it you need to have tri bike.

2007-07-26 7:43 AM

Thanks for the help guys
I'll definately check some of those out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices Rss Feed