General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wierd Fatigue. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-29 2:08 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Wierd Fatigue.
I am an extremely healthy person. I work 6am to 2pm everyday, and occasionally on Saturdays. I take in between 3 and 4.5 thousand calories a day. I am 6'2" and 152 lbs. My current training is 3 to 4 days a week. swim between 500 and 1000 yds per swim day. Bike 11 to 14 miles on bike days. Run 1.5 to 3.1 miles on run days. I stay hydrated and even use the accelerade products. Lately it seems like every couple of days my body just wears down. I can start the morning out fine and by noon my steps are heavier, eyelids half open, and the insane energy level I usually have is gone. The next day is better, but still tired, the day after that I am fine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may cause a sparatic, complete loss of energy? These "down times" do not seem to coincide with my training days in any way. I haven't been able to think of any consistancy between them and my lifestyle. I also feel like my core temp is way up during these times, but do not have a fever. on several occasions my ability to become dizzy, is also quicker, and harder to focus my vision. I would appreciate any ideas or directions to look in.

2007-07-29 11:47 PM
in reply to: #905675

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Wierd Fatigue.
Hi -
OK, I'm not a doc. But I did have fatigue all winter & into spring. Usually I'm a night owl, but I was unable to stay really awake past 9 or so. Only had get up & go to run every few days. That sort of thing. This was unusual for me, I'm usually pretty sparky & not prone to being down in the dumps or low energy.

Finally went to the doc, who ordered a series of blood tests.

Very Low Iron, and, oddly, low SALT.

This would explain my craving for steak, french fries, & cheeseburgers. Can't justify the ice-cream, though.

I started taking iron, drinking extra electrolyte replacement (just the kind in little packets - like EmergenC but w/more sodium & potassium - the brand has slipped my mind...came from WholeFoods & other similar stores - not the expensive recovery drinks), even after shorter efforts that I usually would have not worried about it. I read up on iron rich foods and foods that block iron absorption & switched things around a bit.

In a couple of weeks I felt MUCH BETTER. So now I make sure I don't skimp on salt, replace electrolytes after most workouts, and take iron. I keep Quaker Instant Grits on hand, too. They have a huge amount of iron in them - sometimes they are a late night snack if I had a late workout.

It was a pretty simple solution to something I put up with for months thinking I should be able to sleep/eat/think my way out of... Darnit.

So,maybe your doc can do a couple of quick blood tests?

Good luck.
2007-07-30 9:29 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Do you have rest weeks?  Most training plans have you increasing your training for three weeks and then have a light week after that.  It is really important to give your body enough rest! Also make sure that you are scheduling at least one rest day per week.  

2007-07-30 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Definitely could be a million things. Personally, my weird (and pretty severe) fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and several other weird symptoms turned out to be food allergies to wheat, corn and eggs. Just another possibility.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wierd Fatigue. Rss Feed