Endorfun
hi60F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 38s
Overall Rank = 163/223
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

Drank one EAS shake on the way to NH. This is the ONLY race hubby has ever gone to, so he drove. For the record, he was bored out of his mind there :(

Arrived early enough in time for registration and setting up T1.
Event warmup:

No warmup - just go and have fun!
Swim
  • 09m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was low with poor visibility and at the water level we were swimming at, you ended up swimming in some pond vegetation. Apparently a dam was inadvertantly left open the day prior. The course was very short, big buoys.
They started swimmers running through the timing mat every 3 seconds. If the athlete in front of you didn't get much distance after running and diving in, then you either dove on top of him/her or had to go around. I kinda went around and dove half on top of some poor girl.
Water was very cood in the pond, I had a rough time breathing in water that cold, and especially felt it when I came out of the water - couldn't catch my breath to run, which gave me the longer swim segment split.

I'm pretty sure the swim time was the time you ran over the timing mat on shore til you actually entered the TZ, because my watch times didn't match. I know I took longer than 3:43 from the water to the bike mount!
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Ran/walked to TZ from water...literally could not catch my breath.
Hung up in wetsuit again :)
Although T1 showed a 3:43 time, it took much longer (see comments in swim). My hub saw me come out of the water and I had to pass him again coming out of T1. He later asked me what took me so long to come back and that he thought something was wrong with my bike. *slap*
Bike
  • 38m 53s
  • 5.5 miles
  • 8.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course was pretty technical for me. Endoed once, had to push bike up 2 muddy hills. On the hills, the better riders were riding UP the side of the dirt trails ON THE WET grass (huh?).
There was one part that had a tiny drop on it, with some nice sloppy mud right before it and down below. Ideally, if you had enough speed, you'd easily jump it, land and go. And ideally if there was hard packed dirt before and below the jump, you could do it. I was going too fast approaching it with my mind made up to jump, and the second my wheels became bogged down in the soft mud, I knew I was in trouble. If I did jump, I'd have gotten stuck in the mud down below anyway. So I slowly went over this ledge that had about a 4 foot drop, front wheel first, damn near 90-degrees to the ground, and I went over my handlebars. It happened so slowly that I actually watched my front shocks compress on impact, and I had time to negotiate how to I wanted to separate my bike from my body during the fall. The fall didn't really hurt, but it must have looked bad because a guy behind me stopped and was about to get off his bike to help me. He just yelled "you ok?" when he saw me jump back up (before anyone else saw me!)
In retrospect, that was kind of irresponsible riding on my behalf, because it was a dangerous place where lots of athletes could have piled up with my dumb butt wallowing in the mud. Whatever - person in front has right of way, right?
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time on trails, not really for the sake of a better bike time, but because it's fun!
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

I don't ride clipless on my mtb, just have some Power Straps. Hop off, rack, helmet off, grab visor, pony up (tie up the mop in a ponytail) on the go!
Run
  • 32m 49s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is always the most fun part for me. This is where you get to cheer on other athletes or small talk and joke with them. At that fallen tree mentioned above (Running Course description), me and another guy were running kinda side-by-side and we burst out laughing when we saw it. I said "go ahead, Rambo" so he could go ahead of me. We ran and joked a little for a while, me in front sometimes, sometimes him in front....after a while he was able to get some speed in front of me and he thought he lost me. I liked having him in front of me so I could figure out my own footing based on where he tried to go. I surprised him with about 1/2 mile to go because I got up right behind him and yelled "Don't let me catch you" and we ran in together talking about places we fell on the bike....then we really were trying to outpace one another close to the end (he beat me). Outside of the chute, he says "hey 'blue', thanks - nice race!"
Awwwwww......
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't take the chance to evaluate this race to that extent. It was a fun "try it once" thing.

Event comments:

GOOD TIMES! Even though written up 4 months later, I could easily recall this race.

I think if there were as many offroad tris as road ones, that I'd do these more often.
This tri was part of a Triathlon Festival weekend with the road tri the day before. There were many vendors situated inside a resort hotel's "village area" so you could easily walk a few steps from the tri expo into a quaint Waterville Valley shop.
This race was good for spectators as Keith Jordan's announcer does a great job. My hub said he learned alot of tri facts listening to him, and they're the type that announces your name if they can find it as you approach the finish line.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:05 | 440 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 73/223
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: This was a 1/4 mile clockwise swim in Corcoran Pond. Very fast distance, felt like I was turning the whole time!
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:53 | 05.5 miles | 8.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 176/223
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: This course was very scenic with 2 hills classified as challenging (I found more than 2!) that ran along a stream. Lots of areas where there was singletrack only (hard to pass on singletracks!)Only a very small segment of the middle section (less than 20 seconds) was on a road, but at the end coming up to T2, we had to ride slightly downhill for about 1/4 mile. The downhill on pavement was very welcomed. The night before it rained, so there were lots of puddles and the hills were muddy! Race director said we might see moose or bears. I saw the ground coming up to my face once.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:49 | 03 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 170/223
Performance:
Course: On first part of bike course with one of the muddy hills, keyhole shaped out and back. Muddy! woo hoo! Mostly just dirt, and mud...no big rocks or boulders. There was one very steep ditch we had to run down and then take your choice: either have enough speed or leg length to run and jump onto and over the fallen tree, or go under it. I did neither, I ran up to it, then sat on it and pulled my legs over and pushed off.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-10-07 9:15 AM

Online or Offline
Subject: Mooseman Offroad Triathlon

2004-10-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: #70130

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Mooseman Offroad Triathlon
OOPS I didn't mean these to come up here in the forum - I guess this is what it means to be "publically viewable".....what a dork.
I'm not going to fill these out all the way.
2004-10-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: #70130

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

Cool, I have always thought about a "off road" tri. I can;t imagine the mtb part.

Great challenge,, may!! and good pics. I hadn;t thought about importing the pics to the rce report...great idea.

2004-10-07 10:05 AM
in reply to: #70167

Online or Offline
Glen you should do this one next year. It was a riot in the mud......
One day I'll come back after looking up the data online for a better report.
2004-10-08 7:09 PM
in reply to: #70151

User image

molto veloce mama
looks like a fun race! i am still contemplating doing an off road for next year. the off road 10k and half marathon will be testing the waters. wish there was a race like this once close to here.

ps. you have beautiful hair - but i get overheated just looking at you racing! my hair is very thick and wavy and i always break down and chop it off mid-summer. i made it to september this year, but i caved and got it cut.
2004-10-09 7:08 AM
in reply to: #70613

Online or Offline
autumn,
There would be no doubt that you are a much better off-road rider than I...you'd kill an off-road tri! It was more fun than aggravating for me only because it reminded me of when I was a little kid and I was fearless when I'd try to BMX with my older brother. We were wild. I like it when I am out and genuinely feel like I'm playing. As an adult, I don't offroad much - just some tame fire roads.
You should do one, I'm eager to hear your report! Unlike mine here, which I keep saying I'll complete....

Oh and for the hair - don't get me started on it.

For triathlons: I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO FRENCH BRAID!! As a result, coming out of the water, I'll just pull the rubber band out of my pony tail and shove my helmet over the wet hair - it's the best way my helmet will fit snugly on my head without taking the time to do pigtails. T2 I'll pull the mess up into a ponytail.....(I laughed when I saw that pic - it looks like I'm wearing a stole made out of some roadkill!)

Any other time: I have a turbo blowdrier that wakes up the neighbors. I love long hair, makes me feel girrrrrly.

But you'll appreciate this: 100% virgin, and it gets henna treatment only.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Offroad Triathlon Rss Feed