General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » schedules Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-24 8:07 PM

User image

Subject: schedules
I've been reviewing the differant training schedules for a sprint and I noticed they all show Saturday as a day off.
I'm a captain of a running team and I do my long runs then. I'm currently reading the Triathletes Training Bible and trying to understand how to build the proper schedule.
My question is how flexable are these schedules? Can I switch a running day without messing up the mix?
With my weakness being swimming, I'm leaning towards the schedule that is more swim intensive.

2004-01-24 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4828

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: schedules
The schedules are only there as examples for you to use. Find one that works best for you, for instance your swim needs work do the 3X swim and then fit it into your schedule. What is important, and I am sure you have found this through your reading, is that you get a schedule down on paper. Failing to plan is planning to fail and is where a lot of people go wrong.

I will usually have my long run on Saturday but then some weeks it ends up on Sunday. The key is consistancy and getting your schedule to fit your time commitments. Good Luck.
2004-01-25 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
I would add that triathlon should fit into your lifestyle and not the other way around. Like with swimming, you swim around your breathing, not breathe around your swimming ;-) ! I have modified it to fit into my current lifestyle. I look forward to it, but sometimes circumstances don't allow for me to do something or all of my plan everyday. I kind of do it like a prescription - just pick up where I left off. Fitness is like a very solid piece of furniture...it's still there under all of the dust and stuff, it just has to be revealed, if you catch my drift! Friday's or Monday's are my day off (aka, if Monday is horrible, then I shift everything a day back and workout on Friday, if not than Friday is my big lounge day).
Welcome,
Vanessa
2004-01-25 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
J- I solely went on that book [the tri bible] as guidance.... it's very complex to understand at first... but by the second year of using it- i got better at it. It was then that I was [as the other writer said] fitting triathlon triaing into my schedule- not the other way around. We can't say it enough, but just see what it suggests- log log log- and do make your schedules around what is best for YOU.

lots of luck and welcome! We're here for you if you have questions.
2004-01-25 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
I work in retail and don't have a set schedual. I make my workout plan as I get my work schedual. I usually try to get my long run and bike on my two days off, because that is when I have the most time. It takes practice. If your body doesn't like the way you are doing it, it will let you know.
2004-01-25 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
I concur with every post here. My failures in the past to reach my goals are b/c of a failure to plan. I have a set schedule over a 12 week period, but sit down every Sunday and look at my life and figure out how to accomplish that week's training goals into it. Being a single mom with a seven-year-old it gets challenging, but taking it one week at a time and being flexible definitely helps....and can't say enough about logging...that really helps keep me on track.

Good luck!

2004-01-26 6:08 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
jaitermom, may training plans have either Monday or Friday as rest day so you can go long on run and bike on weekend when you have more time. This either gives you a rest day before or after the long workouts. I take my rest on Friday and do long run on Sat with long bike on Sun. Monday is swim and weights, so my legs still get a rest.
2004-01-26 8:00 AM

Veteran
Keller, TX
I think you can juggle the schedules, just give yourself a break. I don't like to run two days in a row for example, I prefer to break things up. I like to get a swim in between days when I do something that impacts the joints.

If you are following the bible, just remember the talk on volume and frequency. And like everyone else says, plan / schedule it - then work the plan.

Welcome to the site.

T
2004-01-28 7:29 AM

User image

Thanks to all of you for making me feel welcome.
I'm so excited to have a place amongst my peers.
Your all so inspiring.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » schedules Rss Feed