General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peroneal Tendonitis - Dr. Told me I'm not a runner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-01 3:41 PM

User image

New York, NY
Subject: Peroneal Tendonitis - Dr. Told me I'm not a runner
I went to the doctor this morning. It's been a bad day. He diagnosed it as peroneal tendonitis, and told me that I have no range ofmotion in my ankles, so land on the side of my foot when I run. He told me that I should give up triathlon and take up ballroom dancing, because heels are the only things I should wear. He told me that I should to strength training on it. I have never cried so hard in my life as I did today.
Not that I'm listening to him 100%. A) I have no desire to give up triathlon, just because I wasn't built for them doesn't mean I can't do them. B) His advice so far is wrong - he taped up my foot and told me that I should be able to walk on it with no pain, and it hurts like a . He also told me to wear heels, which made me scream in pain. He is one of the best podiatrists in NYC, but it seems ridiculous to be told to walk on a foot injury and expect it to recover. It hurts horribly, I'm deeply confused on what to do, I am so unhappy and terrified. I love this sport. I know I've only done it a few months, but I'm so frightened - Idon't want to give it up, but I also don't want to do it for a few seasons and never be able to do competitive sports again. I love running so much now, and was just told I shouldn't run. I'm so upset. Any advice would be really appreciated. Has anyone else been told they shouldn't be a runner? I'm so confused - I don't understand how a weird foot thing I've had since birth means that I shouldn't run.
Thanks.

2007-08-01 5:20 PM
in reply to: #910140

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Peroneal Tendonitis - Dr. Told me I'm not a runner

DON'T GIVE UP!  Especially if it is something you really want to do.  Be smart about it and don't run when hurt, but seek out other opinions.  I'm going through similar problems.  I had a partial achilles tear last summer and am still having problems with the darn thing.  I drove 1 1/2 hours to a major hospital in a major city to go to a sport medicine orthopod.  I told him all I want is to be able to run 3 days/week and 15-20 mpw.  His response was that some people just can't run that much.  THAT MUCH!  That is nothing!  He never watched me walk or run.  Never offered any other alternatives.  I did go through PT and it did help, but my PT could never understand why I got injured in the first place (I was running 3 days a week and 10-12 mpw when it happened).  So I was doing well when I got done with PT and was running 3 miles every 3 days.  I took 4-5 months to build to running 3 days a week and 12 mpw and all my problems came back.  Now I am seeking other advice.  There HAS to be a solution.

How many people told Dick Hoyt he couldn't do what he has done?  Or Sarah Reinersten?  Look at all they have accomplished.  I don't even want to do an Ironman so I figure if they can accomplish Ironman goals then I can certainly accomplish my much smaller goal.  It may take me years, but I am confident I will get there.  I am healthy otherwise so there is no reason to believe anything else.

So to say it again......   DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!   There will be times when you get mentally down, but just pick yourself back up.  We can both achieve our goal of running again if we stay mentally strong and focus.  YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

(How's that for a pep talk?      )

Diane

2007-08-01 9:26 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

I wound up with achilles tendonitis last summer - for my first sprint. Physical therapist said I had no range of motion (to bring toe up) in ankle and that it was mechanical vs tightness. Said I'd just have to be careful to stretch as much as possible but didn't say I couldn't do it.

Since then, have been good about stretching and basically injury free. Sure have some aches and pains from time to time but I"m also over 40 so figure a life time of doing some crazy things has taken its toll on me a bit.

See another doc if you are not feeling right about what your doc said...he may not even know anything about training and how to do it safely.

2007-08-01 9:30 PM

User image

New York, NY
Thank you both for your kind words of warmth and advice. I looked up Dick Hoyt and Sarah Reinertsen (being new to triathlons, I had never heard of them) and how phenominally inspirational! It really shows that if you believe you can, you can. I think a key thing for me to remember also is that it is totally not about speed for me. I don't care if I come in last, I just want to finish each thing I try (or tri, as the case may be!) The doctor said I can do both my sprints, and I'll figure it out from there. My current long term goal are Oly's, and my fantasy is an eventual HIM and a marathon. I will also remember that if I didn't see a doctor, I wouldn't have known that I wasn't built for running, which I kind of already knew. This just means that it's harder, not impossible.
Thank you!

Edited by reiner 2007-08-01 9:31 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peroneal Tendonitis - Dr. Told me I'm not a runner Rss Feed