General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Asthma - Should I even Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-01 5:03 PM

User image

Subject: Asthma - Should I even Tri?
I was in my third triathlon last Sunday, and had an asthma attack in the first part of the run. I had never had one quite like that and I couldn't recover without walking. Looking up descriptions, it would be classified as severe (one word at a time, wheezing, pain in chest, etc). I used my Albuterol inhaler about 30 minutes before the race and thought I would be OK. Looking back, I have had other problems with breathing but never this bad, so considered myself a mild case.

I will be seeing my doctor about possibly getting different medication, but I am wondering how many asthmatics participate in this sport. My lungs are pretty much always the limiting factor in workouts. Is this the case for most people, asthma or not?

2007-08-01 9:02 PM
in reply to: #910266

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Asthma - Should I even Tri?
I have asthema, and have had an attack during a race before. It sucks. I take preventative medication every day, as well as inhalers if needed. As long as I am taking a preventative medication, I don't have issues. I have also "trained" myself to calm my breathing.

I try to not take abuterol prior to races anymore, as it causes my heart rate to be about 10-15 beats per minute faster, which for me is not a good thing when racing. There are several other inhalers that do not have this same effect. Even with the worst asthema, providing proper treatment, you should be able to handle triathlons with no worries.

Since this is a medical thread: I am not a doctor. I am speaking from my experience only - this is not medical advice. Consult your physician for medical advice.

2007-08-01 9:10 PM
in reply to: #910266

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Asthma - Should I even Tri?

I have exercise induced asthma. So when the lungs get going, so does the wheezing and tightness in the lungs. I use my inhaler about 10-15 mins prior to exercising and also on long rides/races, take it along just in case. I take antihistamines as needed too which help and also depending on how allergies are going take mucinex to loosen up my lungs. Talk to your doc.

You can tri and be asthmatic - just need to take precautions and treat it first.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Asthma - Should I even Tri? Rss Feed