General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Our Dog needs a new home Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-03 12:08 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: Our Dog needs a new home

Yes, it kills me to post this, yet it's best of Murphy.  If you have any questions please post them as others may have the same questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Name:  Murphy

Breed:  Mix of German Shorthaired Pointer and Beagle (or so was thought when we adopted him)

Size:  18 inches at the shoulders and 35 lbs

Adoption:  $100  Free to a good BT home, also gets his crate, whatever food we have left, etc.

We adopted Murphy in April of 2004.  Family changes have occurred that have severely reduced the amount of attention and activity that Murphy gets.  Have come to the painful realization that these changes have occurred and the right thing to do is find him a new family.  He has made a wonderful running partner over the years, even in the winter as he loves the snow.  Murphy is also great with our kids and loves everybody.  Our son has grown up with Murphy and we have had no incidents except for the occasional knock down due to Murphy’s energy.  Otherwise our son (two and half years old) helps feed and walk Murphy.

Murphy has been going to doggie daycare once a week and playing with two one year old Labs.  He plays great with my in-laws Boston Terrier.  We do not know how he behaves around cats.

He currently lives in a condo and is crated during the day, yet walked in the morning, at lunchtime, after work, and before bed.  We are looking for him to go to a family with a yard he can run and hopefully with a playmate or someone with acreage and other dogs to roam with.  He would also make a good partner for someone who is a dedicated runner.  Also, he needs a family who has experience with high energy dogs.

He does have crate issues from his time at the shelter before we adopted him.  He was an escape artist with his metal frame crate before we got him a smaller plastic crate.  We have treat trained him to “kennel up” when give that command.  Currently he is allowed to sleep at night at our bedside and has done so for the last three months without incident.

Like most any dog, he will take what you give him with regards to your lap, couch, chairs, bed, etc.  He will dumpster dive in the garbage can if given enough time alone (he figured out how to bypass the child safety latch and get to our garbage can).

He was put through obedience class when we adopted him and knows basics (sit, down, heel, stay, wait, release).  He was taken to a few series of classes for agility and did well as he is very food motivated.

Loves: 

• People and so far every dog he’s met.
  • Playing fetch with a tennis ball.
  • Playing in the snow.

Tolerates:

• Loves getting in a car when it’s time for a road trip, though will whine about it for a while before he quiets down.
  • Bathes.  Not his favorite, but will not fight you.  He’ll tolerate it till it’s done.  After a towel dry he will race around the house for a minute.  We joke that he’s air dry himself.
  • Nail trimming:  My wife and I tag team him on this as she holds him and distracts him with treats while I trim his claws.

Dislikes:

• Loud noises such as thunder and fireworks.  He is not destructive when he hears these.  He will simply cling to your side and shake a lot.

(Murphy 0020.jpg)

(January 091.jpg)

(Murphy 0005.jpg)

(Murphy 0025.jpg)

(Murphy 0027.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Murphy 0020.jpg (22KB - 20 downloads)
January 091.jpg (66KB - 26 downloads)
Murphy 0005.jpg (70KB - 20 downloads)
Murphy 0025.jpg (65KB - 21 downloads)
Murphy 0027.jpg (41KB - 20 downloads)

2007-08-03 1:36 PM
in reply to: #912507

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Our Dog needs a new home
So sorry you have to do that, Ty.  He sounds like a good pup. Wish I could take him.  I'm sure you'll find him a good home.
2007-08-03 3:14 PM
in reply to: #912507

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
I already sent the pictures to the wife to see what she thinks. I will contact you if we can take the pup. We have a greyhound (retired racer) who loves being pestered by other hyper dogs
2007-08-03 3:48 PM
in reply to: #912911

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

fojeda - 2007-08-03 2:14 PM I already sent the pictures to the wife to see what she thinks. I will contact you if we can take the pup. We have a greyhound (retired racer) who loves being pestered by other hyper dogs

In the Illinois section was asked about Murphy’s age.   His size and energy level makes everyone think he’s a pup.  He is about 5 years old (as of April).  The shelter estimated him at 1.5 to 2 years old when we got him in April 2004.

All I know about retired greyhounds is from when a pet store had a greyhound adoption group in with about 10 dogs and the woman told me that the ones that were standing up were the ‘high energy’ dogs and the ones lying down were the normal energy dogs.

P.S.  The kid does not come with the dog. 

Edited by tupuppy 2007-08-03 3:48 PM
2007-08-03 8:12 PM
in reply to: #912963

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
tupuppy - 2007-08-03 3:48 PM
P.S. The kid does not come with the dog.

That was funny. Unfortunately, we won't be able to take Murphy. Our retired racer is definitely more on the lazy side, but when he gets around the hyper dogs he has a lot of fun and is extremely tolerant of them jumping all over him.

Good luck finding a home, he seems like a great dog.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Our Dog needs a new home Rss Feed