General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre Staging Bikes at a Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-09 11:41 AM

Subject: Pre Staging Bikes at a Race
I have to prestage my bike today and rack it today for tomorrow 's race. I'm trying to decide whether to get there right when they open for prestaging and racking it's first come first serve for a spot or to wait and do it later in the day. The only reason I would do it later is that then I don't have to worry about my bike being out there all day alone and what might happen to it etc. If anyone remembers, at my first tri a few weeks ago there was no prestaging but people tried to move my bike and my stuff to cram their bikes in at the last minute becuase I got there early and had a nice spot. I had relatives there with me to watch the bike but this time with the prestaging, it's not an option. I need thoughts quick! Prestaging starts at 0900 Thanks!
Jen
PS anyone doing the Ko Olina Tri tomorrow? :-)

2004-10-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: #70693

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Pre Staging Bikes at a Race
You are much nicer than me.  If anyone moved my "stuff" to insert theirs at the last minute, they would come back to find their "stuff" off the rack and on the ground or in the river!
2004-10-09 1:08 PM
in reply to: #70709

Right I know! I was soo mad but I'm all of 5'3 112 lbs. so I'm not very scary :-O lol! So would you go early or late for leaving the bike?
Jen
2004-10-09 1:55 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
call me a beginner! i didn't know that some races did such a thing.

ummm... what to do. like are we talking about your bike sitting outside all day long? if so, then i'd lean towards putting it out there later b/c of people stealing it and you may be talking only a second or two difference in time from a good spot and a bad spot.

have a good race!
2004-10-09 6:29 PM
in reply to: #70738

User image

Elite
San Diego
It might be too late, but I would get there early. You can worry about others racked around you tomorrow. As far as leaving it there over night, they ususally have security if you leave it there, and the way I look at it there are much nicer bikes there than mine. I have a freind who racked his old beater bike the night before and changed bikes on race day. Hope that helped.
2004-10-09 7:07 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Many large races having you rack the day before. Any race I've racked the night before, has had assigned spots. If it's a USAT sanctioned race, the officials check the transition area to make sure bikes are on their assigned rack.

I like to get their early so that I can get over with. The lines can get really long as the day goes on.

The organizer will have people who will stay overnight to make sure nothing happens to all the bikes.

Good luck in your race!

2004-10-10 1:51 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
I've had it all - people have jammed in too close and I've kindly said there is no room here, and I've had people take my spot while on my warmup ride. I had to kindly inform them they had racked their bike over my towel! At any rate, the point is, something must be said, and firmly.

Edited by triman50 2004-10-10 1:52 AM
2004-10-10 1:55 AM

Well the race in in the am and my bike is racked in a nice spot hopefully it will be there in the morning just like I left it. I did rack it early in the day and when I went back to check the bike this afternoon, someone had racked it facing the other direction opposite the direction you would rack it to leave transition. So just goes to show someone is always messing with things I don't know why. On the bright side, the had Marc Allen 12 time Kona Ironman champ speak and it was very inspriational. SO wish me luck and a good tri! Thanks!
Jen
2004-10-10 11:02 PM
in reply to: #70879

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

It's very possible that an official moved it.  At Age Group Nationals the officials went into the transition area and moved some of the bikes around that had been racked incorrectly.  This is what the rules say:

7.2 Placement of Equipment.

All participants shall place equipment only in the properly designated and individually assigned bicycle corral and shall at all times keep their equipment confined to such properly designated areas. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

7.3 Bicycle Placement.

All participants must return their bicycles to an upright position in the properly designated bicycle corral after completion of the cycling course and before beginning the next segment of the event. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

Whether you hang the bike by your seat post or your handle bars the majority of your bike must be on the side of the rack where your assigned number is.  I guess some people were racking their bike in such a way that a good portion of it was on the wrong side of the rack.  It's the first time in 20 years I've ever heard of this being an issue.

But boy I get ticked off when people mess with my stuff in transition area.  At one race I did this year, I had set up my whole area, laid my wetsuit over part of the rack where my bike was going to be, and did my warm-up.  I came back and some idiot had put his bike on top of my wetsuit, and the middle of my stuff.  When I asked why he put his bike there his comment was, "the bike rack is for bikes, not wetsuits."  DUH!!!!  I pointed at my laid out gear, and again he repeated his remark about the rack being for bikes.  I decided I wasn't going to argue anymore, and I got my revenge by kicking his azz in the race.

2004-10-10 11:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Who loves our newest NY poster more than me? You're definitely not a beginner, but a big thank you for sharing our journey with us!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre Staging Bikes at a Race Rss Feed